The idiot who gave Shottenheimer and extension and

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Jan 2, 2012.

1. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Name me one GM in the history of any professional sport that's never made a poor decision. You can't. As much as these 2 moves sucked, these are his two biggest faults. How about we look at the good?

Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris, Keller, Sanchez (like him or not we got the 5th pick for practically nothing), Greene, getting Cromartie for a 2nd rd, Braylon for a 3rd, Holmes for a 5th, locking up all our core players and not letting them walk. The list goes on. Compare him to other GMs in the league and he's well above average and its not even close.

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

This is hysterical. Stockpiling picks by no means guarantees you better talent. Look at the Pats drafts the past 6 years. Save their two TE and a kicker, they've drafted complete SHIT (although I'll wait a couple years to criticize their latest drafts). They continue to cut players left and right who Belichick doesn't like. Trading down and stockpiling picks doesn't guarantee you anything.

We traded up for Revis and he's the best CB in the NFL. We traded up for Keller and he's an above avg TE. We traded up for Greene and he's averaged 4.5 yds/att since he's been here. Give me a break.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nice to see a few more people at least are finally seeing what a piece of shit tannenbaum is.

4. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

I think this is a comedy thread, isn't it?

5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Go Falcons beat the g boys.

6. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

Amen Bro!:beer:

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have been 51-45 in the 6 years Mike Tannenbaum has been GM. They have made the playoffs 3 times in 6 years. They have been FAR from one of the most successful teams in the NFL over that span.

To give you a good frame of reference here are the teams leading just the AFC in wins since 2006:

1. Patriots - 72
    2. Steelers - 63
    3. Colts - 63
    4. Chargers - 63
    5. Ravens - 62
    6. Titans - 54
    7. Jets - 51
    8. Texans - 47
    9. Jaguars - 44
    10. Broncos - 44
    11. Bengals - 42
    12. Dolphins - 38
    13. Bills - 37
    14. Chiefs - 36
    15. Raiders - 32
    16 - Browns - 32

The Jets are 7th in the AFC in wins since 2006 and they are as close to the bottom as they are to the top. Since Mike Tannenbaum took over they are exactly what they've been since Parcells checked out: a middle of the road team that makes the playoffs about half the time and implodes in embarrassing ways the other half.

Nothing at all distinguishes Mike Tannenbaum from the other Jets GM's who have tried and failed to make the Jets an elite franchise over the last 15 seasons.

All of them have gone for short-sighted win-now solutions instead of actually building a great team and what they have produced is a team that flares for a bit as they add lighter fluid to the fire and then sputters out when that fuel burns off quickly as it always does. The Jets need a GM that knows how to build a strong fire with wood and coals not a guy who keeps squirting lighter fluid on it to see the pretty flames for a few minutes.

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The main forum has more or less been a comedy forum.

9. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

I would say he hasn't had a good first rd pick since Revis. I think Mo is going to be a stud, but to early to declare that a good pick just yet. Keller is pretty good, but still hasn't given us first round production.

That said I think Tanny is good at what he knows; manipulating salary cap #s and making deals. But it doesn't seem like he knows much about football. I would love to see him teamed up with a head of operation that really knows football.

10. Br4d

Really the Jets need a football guy to step in as GM so Tanny can go back to being a cap guru. The methods the Jets have used to get to the middle of the pack the last 6 years are not fundamentally sound and they're likely to lead to the gambler's ruin eventually.

They also need an overhaul in the pro personnel department. A group of people whose pre-eminent accomplishment is convincing the GM to trade up for CB's, TE's and RB's is really not helping the team much and it is killing the long-term talent base.

11. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

A fan can dream...

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah Rex Ryan has nothing to do with personnel decisions. Apt analysis guys.

13. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

Agreed.....

14. gangjet

gangjet New Member

The Jets started to become a mess the minute they let go Braylond and Cotchery. Tanny killed the chemeztry that existed with this offensive crue. Not to address the OL situation was a very costly mistake that end up having Sanchez running for his live all season long. In my oppinion, I believe the front office killed the Jets season from before it started.

15. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

The real question is how many more seasons until Rex is held accountable?

16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

No Jets GM has conducted a root and branch rebuild because the fan base is neither tolerant nor patient enough to see the process through.

It's the same reason the Mets, Giants, Yankees, Rangers, etc. never rebuild. Every year is a win now year.

17. Br4d

What the FO and CS did this year was to misidentify the team's strengths and weaknesses. Once they made that fundamental mistake every thing else flowed downhill.

Why the organization spent as much as 2 seconds trying to figure out if they could get Nnamdi Asomugha is a question for the ages. Even if they had pulled it off they'd have had a huge amount of the cap tied up in two cornerbacks on the edge of the field instead of close to the line of scrimmage where the money should be.

They had decent cornerback options without Asomugha and if they'd focused on Cromartie earlier he would have come cheaper. Instead they paid absolute top dollar for him after Aso and Joseph signed elsewhere and the market dried up.

They completely ignored the offensive line despite the fact that the offensive line was crucial to their success. They didn't even make moves after Turner went down and with Hunter looking iffy in the preseason.

As you say this season was blown from the get-go, only the biggest casualty was still on the line - the franchise QB who is now on shaky ground because the FO took their eye off the ball last off-season.

18. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I would say that over 90% of Jet fans wanted Holmes signed last offseason. I can't stand the guy and hope he is gone with his selfish ass,but we can't sit here and act like we knew it was a mistake. We all thought signing his was a priority

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

This fan base is fucking pathetic lol

20. Br4d

This is true. I think nobody understood how dependent Holmes was on a true deep threat beside him to open up the underneath game where he can break a defense. I certainly didn't.

My opinion of Holmes has shifted dramatically this season. I thought of him as a #1 going into the season but I now see him as a good complementary receiver who will cause real problems for the defense if they have to account for others.