Sanchez: 32 TD's and 18 Interceptions...Regression?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 3, 2012.

1. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

I'm sorry but that's just bullshit.

Last year with consistent OL play Sanchez would step up into the pocket on a regular basis when there was pressure.

There was one game that stood out last year where the O-line did not do a very good job of protecting sanchez, and that was the game against the texans with the comeback. throughout that game sanchez would step up and in constantly to avoid the pressure, especially on the game winning drive. and if there wasn't room to step up he'd move laterally to create a passing lane. he would constantly create a bit of time or space for himself to make a throw in the pocket last season. he showed this in a number of games, go and watch.

even this past sunday i saw him step up into the pocket a few times, but not many occasions.

so then what is the difference between this year with the poor Oline and, say, the HOU game with the poor O-line play? Last year, the O-line were more or less solid the entire year. 1 sub-par pass blocking game was not likely to change Sanchez's comfort level.

You cannot deny the shitty job the Oline has done protecting our QB for the entire year this season, and you can't deny that all the hits and hurries he's had to deal with has more or less shell-shocked him. his internal clock this year has been fucked. That's why he's uncomfortable now, that's where all the happy/jittery feet come in.

but that doesn't necessarily mean he needs an improvement in those areas (EDIT: doesn't need improvement, in terms of, say, learning fundamentals--he knows/understands the fundamentals, he's DISPLAYED fundamentals throughout his career, and with more experience he'll be more consistent with these displays and will improve to a point where we can consider him a polished QB. He does need improvement in this regard, I worded that wierdly). my main point was that he's shown that he has these qualities earlier in his career, and over time during his career he will get more and more consistent and better in these areas, granted we don't have as bad of an OL as we did this year. get the OL back to an acceptable level where Sanchez doesnt hafta worry or fight for his life on every drop back, and hopefully we will see him moving comfortably back there, again.

again, look at the tape again from last year, and you'll see he does have pocket presence, he does have nice feet, and he can feel out the rush.

#201 desert swordz, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

You need to watch the games a little closer.

For the last 3 years, Sanchez has had very poor footwork and pocket presence.

Sanchez alone was responsible for many of the sacks last year, not the OLine.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Sanchez is not as good as a healthy Pennington, not even close, and that should end the conversation here. Use any stat you want, from any year, completion percentage, picks, QB rating...

4. avrus

avrus New Member

Everyone keeps comparing Sanchez's third year to some of the elite quarterbacks in the league.

So let's have a look. If we ignore years where Brady, Rodgers and Brees sat on the bench:

[​IMG]

Can you pick out which QB is which?

Based on the sacks and completion percentage Sanchez should be obvious to pick out.

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

And I'm sure that the attitude of Holmes (and others) had NOTHING to do with his problems.

That Holmes would act that way after his game-winning TD against Washington speaks volumes.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The OL was terrible this year. To make a statement that Sanchez was responsible for many of the sacks shows you either don't know what you are talking about or are here only to troll these boards. Hunter and Brick got beat with speed, and power rushes. When Mangold was out the inside rush was overwhelming. Moore had a down year at RG. Slauson was pretty good at LG and when Mangold was healthy there was no one better.

7. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

If you want to find Sanchez, just look for the lowest completion percentage and the most Ints.

8. avrus

avrus New Member

Seven of which came in the last 3 games. Arguably under a different OC:

His completion percentage would be higher
    INTs would be lower (100+ fewer attempts)
    yardage would be significantly higher because he wouldn't be throwing 5 yard slants
    Sacks would be lower

And this is comparing him to 3 of the most elite QBs in the league. I don't see anything here that leads me to believe he couldn't be an amazing QB.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Sanchez is fine. Lots of QBs have average stats the first 3 season. He hasn't regressed, he's done well considering Schotty and the offensive line this year was one of the worst he's played with.

10. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

I think Tannenbaum said it all in his interview with Francesca. He said Mark's footwork needs to improve and that he hasn't progressed as much as they thought he would. He said he didn't play well. That's an indictment if I've ever heard one.

11. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

Throwing 7 ints in the last 3 most important games of the season is not a very good argument for defending Sanchez' total ints in a season. Did you watch him play this year? Did you see the bad throws? The Giants game and Dolphins games alone was enough for me. There were horrible overthrows to wide open receivers and horrible decision making on display all day. A new OC will not magically fix that.

Before the Denver game the Jets attempted 29 passes of 21 or more yards. Sanchez was 6 of 29 with 1TD and 3 Ints on those pass attempts of 21 or more yards. I heard the 15 yards or more pass attempts were even worse after the Denver game. That is on Sanchez, not the OC.

#211 Testaverde, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  12. avrus

avrus New Member

Did you watch him play? Did you see our play calling? Here, I'll summarize half our season.

1st and 10 - Shonn Greene up the middle into Mangold for 2 yards.
    2nd and 8 - Shonn Greene right side, falls down for 3 yards.
    3rd and 5 - 5 yard slant pass dropped / tipped / caught

Schotty should have been taken out after the Giants game and fired on the spot. Even Jets haters agree that was one of the worst offensively coached games in recent memory.

Our receivers run short routes. Our receivers are almost never open (how could they be with this route calling), we've replaced the receiving core every year.

We'll see how Sanchez does under a new OC (hopefully) and I'm confident his 4th year stats will be impressive.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Sanchez was bad down the stretch, stop making excuses. I think he can still be our franchise QB but let's not ignore how bad he was down the stretch with the playoffs on the line.

14. avrus

avrus New Member

He was a write off after the Eagles game, at which point he had been sacked 32 times for the season.

15. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

Yeah? And how closely do you watch Jets games PATSFAN?

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What does that mean? His play contributed to a good portion of the sacks against him this year.

17. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

Two games later? 40 times.

But according to some, Sanchez clearly sacked himself.

18. avrus

avrus New Member

Yes, clearly he needs to figure out how to get the ball away 50 times in a game in 2.4 seconds.

19. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

so he is clearly the worst, despite his 3rd year being in the most prolific average year for QBs in league history?

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Great post and true.