McElroy killing the Jets locker room

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 4, 2012.

1. TheGreenCantona

The pic of Rex impersonating his brother is not so funny anymore.

2. Thesanchize81

Thesanchize81 New Member

We are the Jets, we don't censor our players, we let them be themselves. Treat them like adults. Open policy. If he gets fired, then we have been a fraud along. This is what Rex instituted. We don't want to end up like the Patriots where nothing comes out, not even comments from unnamed players. Imagine supporting a team like that? What fun will it be?

3. MyFavoriteMartin

MyFavoriteMartin New Member

I just gained a tremendous amount of respect for McElroy with these comments. You can't go through life being afraid to speak up. When you feel something isn't right, then stand up. And we all know this isn't some dunce, he's a very intelligent dude, even more why I respect his opinion. If we cut this guy for speaking his opinion for the sake of making things better, than shame on us.

4. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

I hope McElroy doesn't get cut for doing this. He has some real ginger balls for bringing the truth out- and if this gets the attention of Rex/Tanny, all the better.

5. TheGreenCantona

Oh you mean a team in the playoff with a decade of success, and a very bright future harnessing picks like there are no tomorrow?

6. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

This is a GIGANTIC risk that McElroy took when he aired the "dirty laundry" on Radio.

Don't know if he really thought of the consequences of his actions or that he even gave a crap about them but this could turn out in several ways :

1.) He's CUT....Yesterday.

2.) He's lauded(privately, of course) for having the chutzpah to say what he said and put his name out there. And maybe he gets a look as possible future QB to compete with Sanchez.

or

3.) He remains on the team but is SHUNNED by everyone there, knowing there is a snitch in their midst.

Another thing....as far as #1 goes, say he's CUT. He might find other teams that are interested but he was a UDFA. Plus, the other teams saw how he broke an unwritten code of conduct/rule/whatever in doing what he did and probably won't give him any look since they believe he would turn around and do the same to them if the going got tough.

7. MyFavoriteMartin

If the other jets players shun him for doing this, then I don't want to root for this team.

8. TheGreenCantona

If McElroy is right, they do not care who you root for.

9. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

First of all, McElroy's average performance in the preseason proves absolutely nothing. There's a long list of QBs (including Sanchez) that are capable of beating up on the Texans' 4th stringers. If you think that limited preseason action proves anything, then I have some Brett Ratliff stock to sell you.

Second, a high Wonderlic score is great but it isn't at all predictive of NFL success. Mike Mamula and Kevin Curtis scored 49s, and neither of them exactly burned it up in the league.

Third, considering that McElroy's job at Alabama was primarily to hand the ball off and not turn it over, his college career was not more impressive than Sanchez's in terms of showing NFL potential.

Finally, attacking Sanchez for getting laid during the season is just the laziest argument possible. You act as though Sanchez is the first and only NFL player to socialize during the week. I bet you read a lot of Greggggg Easterbrook, don't you?

Look, maybe McElroy will turn out to be a good quarterback. I certainly hope he does. But there's a reason that he wasn't drafted until the 7th round. And claiming that he's already "light years ahead" of Sanchez is just retarded.

10. MyFavoriteMartin

lol, good. Then they can enjoy another season of personal accomplishments, a tense locker room and not making the playoffs

11. Braylon4ever

^ Umm...this is the first time in 2 seasons with Rex that we did not make the playoffs.

Personal accomplishments aside, when you're winning and getting into the "tournament"(as I call it), the locker room is not as tense as one might think.

Losing, on the other hand......

#271 Braylon4ever, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  12. TheGreenCantona

I think there is something wrong in the NFL when it is easier for a player to change allegiance than it is for you as a fan.

13. Braylon4ever

Well the NFL is a business and it's all about making money. Sure the Players want to win but they're still looking to get PAID when you get right down to it.

14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Amazing post. My new favorite poster!

15. Mr. Green Pants

Great post.

16. TheGreenCantona

I guess it has to do with the 'life expectancy' of a player, but even in banking, arguably the least loyal trade around, there are more pride in the employee.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Sanchez's chemistry with Holmes.

That shit's important.

18. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Hahaha this thread is full of ridiculousity. I've read so many different opinions that I don't even know where to begin chiming in, so I'll just address stuff as it comes to mind.

1. Regardless of the validity of McElroy's comments, I think his naivety is what's most glaring. Maybe not EVERY locker room has these issues that the Jets currently have, but the Jets are sure as hell not the only team with them, with "me-first" guys and selfish players. McElroy's public disclosure of these issues showed me that he's a bit overwhelmed by them and that he clearly needs to further experience life in the NFL.

2. To the people who think that this is "rock bottom" and/or that McElroy's comments confirm that Rex has lost the team, especially since Rex said so himself: Stop being so dramatic.
    While I believe Rex's confession that he didn't possess the "pulse of the team" like he possessed in the past, I'm also familiar with Rex's rhetoric, which usually contains exaggeration and self-blame. How often have we heard Rex direct attention toward himself for the sake of distraction from the players/team? Once again, he has assumed full responsibility and blame so that the media focuses on him and his failures instead of the current locker room turmoil. If you truly believe that Rex has "lost the team" and that we're in dire straits, then I guess you also beleieved that Vernon Gholston was about to turn the corner.

3. I think there's a common misconception regarding Penalties as a reflection of Rex. According to these stats (http://www.oddsshark.com/Stats/OffensiveStats/Football/NFL/PENALTIES), we averaged 6.4 Penalties/game on Offense (18th overall; league average = 6.4/game), and we averaged 6.9 Penalties/game on Defense (20th overall; league average = 6.4/game). For all of Rex's supposed insufficient disciplinary action, the Jets are located right around the middle of the league in Penalties. So, the perception that Rex allows a free-for-all is both misleading and unreflective of reality, which shows otherwise.

The bottom line is that the more public these issues become, the more severe they seem. By no means am I poopooing the locker room's current turbulence. In the same aspect, I'm also not shouting "Abandon Ship!" For me, the best thing to do is sit back, hold tight, and wait for time to cure this illness while the FO starts improving the team during the Offseason.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I cant tell if you are joking are not. But i imagine it would be a lot more fun to follow a consistently successful team.

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Isnt this Sanchez's modus operandi with the Jets?