McElroy killing the Jets locker room

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

Have McElroy play and not pass Holmes the ball. Then when Holmes comes back to complain, McElroy can say "SHUT UP" and put him in his place.

2. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

I like and respect McElroy even more now than ever. Hidding this shit to be in locker room only is hidding. Sanchez,Mangold,Revis,Brick, should all be ashamed. None of them should be captains, they are not even leaders of the locker room. McElroy should be captain and starting QB. Payton,Brady would have done the leadership stuff. They chew out people and call them out. Leaders. Sanchez is a big dissapointment as QB and Captain. Put my boy McElroy in, let him start. I said this when he 1st played, he got it! All the intagibles. Tough as a rock. That should be our QB McElroy. he a fighter and a player.

3. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

It amazes me quotes like this are getting out about our team. Holmes being a cancer? Fine. But for McElroy to essentially rip the entire locker room is absurd. Where are our core players stepping up as leaders? Harris, Mangold, Revis, Brick, Moore, etc. Why can't these guys put the other ones in place? They're are some of the best at their respective positions, they get paid a shit ton of money, how hard is it for them to restore order in the clubhouse?

4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Being a good player doesn't mean that you're a great leader. Sure, some players lead by how they play, but that doesn't mean they're vocal leaders when crap like this goes down.

5. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Tanny gave Rex the players he asked for.

I noticed a couple of comments the young QB made that don't appear on most of the 2nd hand accounts.... The inflammatory stuff is accentuated.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lfish-teammates-didnt-care-if-we-won-or-lost/

Greg McElroy, a seventh-round draft pick who spent his first year in the NFL on injured reserve after suffering a thumb injury in the preseason, went back home to Alabama this week and promptly did an interview with 97.3 The Zone in which he trashed the culture of the Jets.

“It’s definitely not a fun place to be, I can assure you,” McElroy said of the Jets’ locker room. “It’s the first time I’ve ever been around extremely selfish individuals. And I think that’s maybe the nature of the NFL. But there were people within our locker room that didn’t care whether we won or lost as long as they got theirs, they had a good game individually. And that’s the disappointing thing.”

McElroy didn’t mention any of those “extremely selfish individuals” by name, but he was responding to a question about the reports regarding Santonio Holmes being a divisive figure in the locker room, and he didn’t say anything to suggest those reports are erroneous.

But McElroy, who was a well-respected team leader with a reputation as a fine scholar-athlete at Alabama, said he loves Jets coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and believes the current coaching staff will turn the team around.

“It’s going to take a lot to kind of come together next year,” McElroy said. “I think the fact that we struggled at times this year really led to a really corrupt mindset within the locker room. But I think we’re going to regroup and I know that we’ll be a better team because of the trials and tribulations this year.”

6. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Agreed, Who the fuck does McElroy think he is, kid was on IR the whole season and to come out on a Bama radio show and talk this shit is ridiculous, Its not his place to come out and talk shit about the locker room so Rex better put this kid in his fucking place.

7. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Agreed, but why can't just one or two of them step up? Even LT is a supposed leader but I didn't hear dick about him leading all year save him ripping Holmes on the last day.

8. I Am The Stig

So if he doesn't do it, then who does? Because obviously there is nothing going on to fix that locker room or we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I desperately wished he had not gotten hurt during the preseason...Kid has moxy, but his arm is a noodle too

10. teedee83

teedee83 New Member

I agree. McElroy will remain a Jet, but he is in for some long PR sessions with the Jets front office people. Remember when Sanchez brought that list to a press conference and read from it? They took care of that real quick.

11. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

The worst the Jets could do is to get rid of McElroy and have him end up becoming a nightmare for the Jets.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This kid hasn't taken one single NFL snap yet he's criticising the team? Ballsy to say the least but not the best way to earn a spot on the roster. He's not exactly the second coming of Tom Brady but he certainly has enough balls to speak on things when he around barely long enough for a cup of coffee and a donut which, up to this point, summarizes his NFL career. Another case of TooMuchMouth..

13. OverloadBlitz

Yes there are things wrong in the locker room but where the fuck is his place to come out and say something like hes a seasoned vet or something.

14. I Am The Stig

Lol, he goes to the Dolphins and kick start the McElroy era to rival the Brady era.

My point was that the seasoned vets don't seem to be doing anything about it, which makes me question what have the "captains" been doing during the course of the year while all this was going on? It's just sad that it takes a rookie to attempt to make an impact. The actual legitimate leadership in that locker room was disbanded following the 2010 season.

15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

This would be a PR nightmare for the Jets.
    Hopefully, they will avoid this

On francessa tonight, Tanny quoted Ron Wolfe, who said, draft a QB every year

Hope they do this, and have a spirited QB competition, to get someone who can push Sanchez. If McElroy gets beats out, so be it. Just don't cut him now

BTW... Tanny has previously spoken very highly of McElroy and how he fits into long term plans prior to interview

16. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

Rex lost the team..not good.

17. OverloadBlitz

I think McElroy has a legitimate shot at beating Sanchez for the starting job, that being said he STILL has no place to come out and say these things about our locker room giving the fact that he hasn't even been a part of said locker room long enough.

18. Endlessly Counting

You are correct... however, if McElroy beats out Sanchez, he will be a people's choice QB like no one the Jets have had since Matt Robinson

19. Endlessly Counting

Maybe, but so what...

the season is over. They have the entire off season to fix it
    Its not as bad as everyone is making it out to be now.

20. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

shoot yourself, just take an icepick and jam it right into your retina