McElroy killing the Jets locker room

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm guessing that whatever happens moving forward that Mike Tannenbaum has a hell of a lot more respect for leadership and class in his players and a much lower tolerance for self-indulgent talent that thinks there's an I in TEAM and aren't slow to express that when the opportunity arises.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

good post. great point.

3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

(1) He needs PLAYERS COUNCILS like Coughlin had with the Giants. They need to meet weekly.

(2) Rex disciplined some low-level guys in 2009 and 2010. Clearly, he isn't afraid about disciplining players -- but now he has to do it to the 'stars' and 'his guys.'

(3) They may need to take the cap hit and get rid of Holmes. Unless this primadonna selfish bitch -- who couldn't even behave after the team gave him his $50 MM contract (his guzzling champagne for the cameras was telling, as was his behavior at Pitt AFTER his great SB catch) -- does a complete 180, get rid of him.

(4) Re-appoint captains. Ummmm......but not Holmes, Rex. :)

4. JetsKickAss

Nailed it.....by all means, let's get rid of him and get a bunch of pre-Madonnas on the team.

BTW....how do you think that Woody feels about MT/Rex after they gave SA $50 MM of his money, and justified the release of Braylon Edwards ??????????

If I am Woody, the question I am asking Rex and MT is this: "If this guy acted this way right after I gave him a huge contract and upfront bonus, what is he gonna be like in Year 2 and Year 3 and Year 4 when his annual salary is BELOW market value ?????"

5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Can we win the big one next year?

No. So fuck the cap hit, dump Holmes, and rebuild with some character guys.

(disclaimer: i don't actually understand all the ramifications of the cap hit, but as long as it only hurts for one more year, it's well-worth it to be rid of cancer #1 and send a powerful message through the ranks. I'd much rather go 6-10 with a rebuilding but unified team than 9-7 with malignant tumor.)

6. JetsKickAss

Didn't see this posted, I believe it is new:

The biggest problem with the Jets offense wasn't even on the team for most of the season.

Backup quarterback Greg McElroy told an Alabama radio station Wednesday that trying to fit wide receiver Derrick Mason into the offense set it back, then hurt it even further after Mason was traded.

"Early in the season, we had signed Derrick Mason and we had him for about the first five weeks, give or take," McElroy told 97.3 The Zone. "And we tried to go to like an 11-set, a three wide receiver set, one tight end, one running back, and that's just not the strength of what (Brian) Schottenheimer can call.

"After we kind of cut ties with that experiment, for (Weeks) 2-3, and we were just kind of battling every week from there on out, and I think we never really got in much of a groove.

We just never really had much of an offensive identity."

After a Week 4 loss to the Ravens, Mason was publicly critical of the offense. Despite Rex Ryan's prediction that Mason would catch 90 passes, he barely played in the following game against the Patriots was traded to the Texans two days later.

McElroy said Schottenheimer did his best to adapt, but the offense finished ranked 27th in the NFL.

"He's an absolutely tireless worker, he works incredibly hard, but I think next year I think he realizes also we just need to do more from an offensive perspective and kind of develop that mindset and develop what kind of offense we want to be," McElroy said of
    Schottenheimer, whom Rex Ryan said he expects back.

"You can't just change philosophies midway through the season. I think that hurt us."

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsb...ack_jets_z0XteT9ft6D1sRKR87AV4L#ixzz1iWzK7exH

7. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Rex said at the press conference no more captains and 53 guys out there who are the same. If he fined mcelroy for this not the other players who said yhr same shit there's a fucking problem. The round your drafted in means nothing. Brady was 6th rounder

8. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

I would buy a McElroy jersey after this. Seriously, how can you call him out for saying this? It has to stay in the locker room? The way the Jets are run, if it stays in the locker room, the situation is going to take its sweet time in getting fixed. You get it called out, it puts pressure on the organization from its fans, the New York media, and the owner. I say good for him.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How does the cap hit work if he's cut, and then if he's traded? Are those two different sets of rules or does it work the same?

The nyjetscap.com site says there's negative $3.5 million in "cap savings" if he's cut. Does that mean that we would only lose $3.5 million by cutting him or would we lose the whole $12.75 million in "dead money"?

Because if we only lose $3.5 million that's addition by subtraction.

10. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

THEY'RE NOT CUTTING MCELROY BECAUSE OF THIS.

My god are you people serious? The Jets want their players to speak their minds and he didnt even say anything that bad. He told us what we all knew, and then gave positive outlooks.

11. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

#151 ManlyGenius, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  12. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

mcelroy ought to be given a shot in camp this summer

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So why does nyjetscap.com say negative $3.5 million in "cap savings" if cut? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't understand.

14. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I think it's money well spent if the Jets cut loose Santonio Holmes immediately. It will cost them $7.75 million. If they do not cut him by the second calendar day of the 2012 season, (February 8) he will be owed an additional $7.75 million.

Jettison that jerk pronto, let's start cleaning house, out with the bad air.

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I think we need to pull a Gruden/Meshawn on Holmes. We can't take the cap hit, so send him home. Let him report to TC, tell him he has to do a 180 or be gone.

Too bad that Scott, Harris, LT, Sanchez even Mangold/Brick didn't say this in the locker room when it started. Maybe we needed a couple of fist fights in that locker room.

This fiasco is really the first bad mistake Ryan has committed as a new HC. Caling for his head is outlandish. He deserves a chance to correct the situation.

Let Holmes be the example, and just cutting ort trading him is not punishment enough to set he example. Send him home. Let him watch the NFL on Sundays.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It would be best if someone could just put him on IR so we get the roster spot.

17. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

The cap savings number is how much more expensive (if negative) or less expenisve (if it's positive) it is to cut the guy instead of keeping him. He takes about 12.5 million in cap space if you cut him and the 3.5 million means that it's 3.5 million more than if you just kept him.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That sucks. Someone definitely needs to break his legs in a mini-camp.

19. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

It might be that you just have to suck it up and cut the guy. If he's this much of an ass in year one of his big contract what happens next year?

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This thread title is misleading. Makes it sound like McElroy did something wrong. Should be titled: McElroy calls out terrible Jets Locker Room.