This Green Apple Has Fallen Far From Its Tree

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

2. Ohio Jet

Ohio Jet New Member

Spot on and nicely written. Rex is only in his third year and his success in the first two years covered up weaknesses. He is now forced to confront them.

His team has shown a lack of discipline and leadership. He has watched the team's top veteran leaders leave and then undercut the development of new leaders by making Holmes a captain. He has been a poor influence on the offense with his tendency to fall in love with players and be reactionary in nature toward that side of the team.

He has many strengths as a coach and may be the best Defensive mind in the game today. Hopefully, he can learn from this year and become a great HC.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Greatnpiece Abyz.....

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Now I want to punch someone in the face.

5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Great read. Thanks.

6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I had no idea Buddy was a Master Sergeant who served in Korea. That is one tough SOB (not like hornet). I believe our defense and running game will be breathing fire next season.

In Rex I trust.

7. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Great stuff Abyzmul!!!!

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'm sick already how quickly the fans forget the last 2 years. Look up Buddy's record and check how many playoff games he won as a HC. I'll save you the time- he won as many as you or I. So his practices may have ben tough but he was a lousy big game coach. Rex is a damn good coach, he did a bad job this year but this franchise has never been in a better position and rex is the main reason why.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Great article! We saw some of this during hard knocks and with some of the other off field issues last off season and now its carried onto the field. This team needs discipline AND a punch in the face.

10. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

What is the statute of limitations on the past 2 years?

I've waited my whole life and never seen the Jets play in a SB, so I admit I'm more impatient than others. That being said, what did they win the last 2 years?

No division titles. The right to host 0 playoff games. No AFC championship. No SB appearances. 4 playoff wins. What does that get you? It's better than 4-12, sure, but after this season, what do the last 2 years mean anymore?

Now the team has taken a significant step back. The whole team from the GM down deserves to be criticized for this season. Things are still unraveling as of today (McElroy). If things are the same next year, do we again call back to '09-10?

11. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

No we have to be quiet about '09-'10, but the abilities shown in 2010, by people like Sanchez and Holmes, for example, have to be taken into account when judging their futures.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

man i wish we could get rid of Holmes i don't want this to happen next year

13. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. I think the glue that held it together the couple of years was the solid veterans like Big Wood, Jenkins, J-CO, T-Rich. How many times in post games interviews did you hear Sanchez talk about T-Rich being supportive and being a mentor.

Since all these vets have moved on it's been a different climate in Jet Land, one that Rex has seemingly been awol in. There's been this Win Now mentality the last few seasons. We all thought it was because of aging veterans but, now it seems more like a ticking time bomb due to the malcontents and lack of a polished coach guiding the ship.

Great article Abyzmul, very well written.

14. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

buddy's a p.o.s. and i dont care what he SAYS he did in korea or anywhere else...
    he was no head coach-defensive whiz ok but coach? nope...just a meanass redneck who likes starting trouble and conflict...and guys the size of todays players would fold him in half if he went after them

15. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

i have relatives who fought in ww2 and korea but for some reason they aren't a-holes like buddy ryan...guess its because they arent mean ass rednecks who like to start trouble and talk shit

16. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Nice article. Hope no one minds if I pat myself in the back by saying I was the person who pointed out the Kerry Rhodes 'we chill' comment here on this board.

Great work Abyz in teasing out the bigger implications of the whole exchange between Braylon and Rhodes.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Gosh. I really wish Rex was at least half the man that his father was.

Nice work, Abyzmul. You took my exact sentiment into a real good writing. Kudos to you.

18. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Sorry, that's crap. It's a completely different game than it was when Buddy was coaching (and anyway, as junc says it wasn't exactly effective for him anyway). Management requires more than militaristic discipline and whilst Rex has his failings, you've taken such an incredibly simplistic approach to the perceived problem as to render your views irrelevant.

"Things not working? Shout at someone! Things still not working? Hit them!"

It's a very binary, fan-like approach, and it shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how to build team dynamics.

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

very good read, i especially like the use of the term knuckle sandwich! one of my personal favorites.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that simple.

I don't know about how you see it, but I still believe that the game of football is won in ranks and files. PERIOD. If you cannot instill discipline and teamwork into the squad, you will not win no matter how talented you are, or no matter how sophisticated schemes you run.

And to do that, you must have hard-nosed character. This is at least where I come in. I want to see Rex stomp on the neck of dissidents and yell straight into the ears of the players who just don't get it. I want him to show fiery temper. I want him to strike fear and respect within his own squad. Of course, that's what I would expect from his old man (from the accounts, that is) and what I do not see from Rex, sadly.