McElroy killing the Jets locker room

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 4, 2012.

1. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Nobody is going to take Greg McElroy as seriously as David Harris in the locker room. You can't compare a rookie 3rd string QB who's a 7th round draft pick to one of your best veteran defensive players who very nearly made the pro-bowl. It just doesn't work that way no matter how much you say otherwise.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

good for mcelroy.showing some balls letting his name get attached to what he says.
    much better then the anonomous quote from a pussy.
    maybe if some of these guys get called out in public once in a while they will walk the company line

3. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

I certainly don't mind that he said these things if they're true. What's concerning is not that they were said, but the truth behind them.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

On second thought all I can think is: say it ain't so Opie, say it ain't so!

5. babyknight

babyknight Well-Known Member

Amazing that Rex let it get so out of hand.

6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I am happy McElroy is speaking up but lets take a few things into account....

1) The guy has hardly lost in the game of football SINCE HIGH SCHOOL. The guy isn't used to losing, so this is a culture shock to him, even if he has no part in the team. That's why I don't want to get TOO worked up with what he said, this is all new to Greg as he has been in the position to win for years. He's never experienced a rough time in his career outside of this year.

2) I love that McElroy is speaking his mind but he doesn't have much of a leash to say such. Wilkerson or Kerley don't say a single thing despite having a bigger role on the team. I hope McElroy gets kept but I am sure he went against the code of conduct rules all rookies get when they enter the league by not making the team look bad off the field. I am worried about his future.....though McElroy has always come off as wanting to be a coach more so than an NFL player. If let go, can see him going back to the Bama coaching staff.

3) Its sad that a rookie who was hardly with the team is the only guy who'd come out and put his name and say this. I commend McElroy but don't know what to say about these random veterans who snipe behind the scenes.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Thanks!

I'm glad I listened, put it more in perspective, particularly about Schotty.

8. hazmat

hazmat New Member

So basically Rex is running a country club. No one is ever held accountable (Mulligan, Hunter etc..). Rex has nothing to do with the offense whatsoever. The players may love rex but that doesn't mean they respect or fear him.

I just don't understand how it go to this point. Everyone knew he was a players coach but to this extent?

9. shutupandwin

shutupandwin New Member

McElroy the one straight shooter in the locker room no matter what string he is. You really prefer press conferences where the head coach thinks "I DON'T KNOW" is a valid excuse or the phony positive assessments of awful games and play calling? On a team that has lost its balls, he probably will be cut for not fitting in with the culture.

10. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Rex's style of coaching, instead of a balance, looks like it's great when the going is good, but a disaster when things are going bad.

If the players really loved Rex as much as I hear all the time, then there wouldn't be all the locker room bullshit we heard about this year.

Imagine all the crap that stayed behind closed doors.

I can't remember this much dirty laundry being leaked from an NFL team. I'm sure its happened (and more than once). I just can't remember any off the top of my head to this extent.

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Theirs nothing wrong with what McElroy said. Hes not going to be cut cuz of it. I hope every player comes forth and airs out the truth, at least they all want to fix this mess including Holmes.

12. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

Mcelroy has to be crazy to open his mouth but you can see how comfortable he is on the radio hes a god down there so i feel he was a bit too relaxed and kinda dropped the ball.

That being said. Rex is a great motivator, but as we moved further and further away from the Mangini era we have become a very undisciplined team. Not only the locker room crap but on the field we committed so many penalties this year. Im not saying Mangini was a better coach but I think that Rex needs to find the happy medium, and start drafting high quality high character guys. I think that by facing this adversity and the embarrassment of eating his words I think Rex is going to come back as a different coach.

13. RLUCAS4137

RLUCAS4137 Member

All the drama seems to be offense based, no? I bet the D doesn't have this type of division. I completely blame Rex though because he's no longer soley a D-Coord and he needs to start acting like a Head Coach and learn to STFU and show some humility for this sh*tty season.

14. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Yes there is. He's making his teammates look bad in public. There's no good reason to do this and there's no benefit to doing this.

How's that first off-season meeting with Holmes going to work? You think this is going to help unify the team?

15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I heard he was referring to Bilal Powell

16. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

Idk if anyone listened to the rest of the interview, but I think Mcelroy has been one person who actually gave us some insight to the offense and how the jets really didnt know what direction they were heading.

Finally some honest critique rather than "Fire Schotty" "Cut Sanchez"

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Holy shit, this team is in shambles.

18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

No doubt he's telling the truth.. I gurantee that good guy Bart Scott ain't part of the solution, but he Can't Wait, so that's ok.

19. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

I like this kid, probably shouldn't say as much as he did given his position, but it takes balls... and I liked what I saw from him in pre-season, I really wish they'd give him a fair shot and not just anoint Sanchez the automatic starter :(

20. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

the biggest thing -- even before the Santonio blow up was the fact that Mulligan was on the field on Sunday. Any other team a backup TE makes those kind of penalties he is benched for the game and never seen from again. Guy had 25 yards in penalties in like 8 plays. That just showed the lack of accountability for a role player that was shitting the bed all season. he got yelled at on the sideline a few weeks ago by other players -- why isn't a coach in his face??