ESPN: It's time for Mark Sanchez to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jan 2, 2012.

1. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Why trade nothing for nothing?

As a Jets poster stated in another thread, there are only 3 things you can win in the NFL:

1) Division championship
    2) Conference championship
    3) Super Bowl title

Everything else is the exact same thing.

Do the Jets have their Wild Card trophies on display at Florham Park?

2. jetiron

jetiron New Member

Sanchez needs to step up and look at himself as perhaps being the weak link in the offense. The guy is living in la la land.. When asked about Holmes recently, Sanchez said every time Holmes doesn't perform, Sanchez puts a video tape of Holmes highlight reels and then Sanchez says he then feels good about the receiver. Sure Holmes did the most despicable thing and quit on his team but how vain can you get Sanchez? Sanchez isn't that good to suggest his receivers' under performance is pretty much on them and not on himself... He should look at his own video tape of disastrous decision making and throws and see where the real problem is. The Jets need to build a fantastic defense and a great running game to carry Sanchez.

3. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Ryan's defensive game plan outplayed Brady that day.

4. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

You probably weren't even a patriots fan until Tom Brady showed up you bandwagon hopper go back to your Patriots hole and tell Tom Brady to go on Dancing with the stars.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgi2lY62Hto

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yes, they are stacked right below that majestic and magnificent 2002 AFCE Division trophy.

So, you're saying that you wouldn't want your players to know what it feels like to win a postseason game? Because Patriots with that type of experience are... dwindling fast.

6. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Let's see how things play out this week (oops, I forgot the Pats have a 1st round bye) before we start discussing dwindling experience.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

It's pretty pathetic for anyone,especially the so called "experts" to call for a QB in his 3rd year to be cut after one season where HIS WHOLE TEAM UNDERACHIEVED.

8. abyzmul

Maybe the problem with the Pats is that they always have that first round bye? I mean, that 2 weeks away from live snaps hasn't done a whole hell of a lot for them in recent years. But then, their defense hadn't been a great deal effective either. Good thing they fixed that.

:wink:

9. OverloadBlitz

So you rather have a first round bye and get scraped in the second week?

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The worst thing about Sanchez to me is that he gets really angry about the idea of being benched. Yet he never improves.

What - did he earn a starting job by his birth right or something. When I see all the young QBs fighting for a starting job and then see Mark...

Silver spoon QB's suck.

11. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

You always want that 1st round bye as it is a god-send to players who are banged up late in the season, not to mention playing the game at home.

Pats problems were that in '09 the Ravens physically man-handled the Pats defense (softest game I ever saw the defense play in the Brady era) and last year Rex implemented/executed a magnificent defensive game plan.

It's football, those things happen.

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

If Rex keeps up the same BS about Sanchez, he'll doom himself in NY. Good head coaches do what's best for the team. Chad Pennington threw the ball 35 yards tops, but at least he knew what he was doing.

13. OverloadBlitz

What I don't understand is that our gameplan last year wasn't complex in anyway, why couldn't the Patriots make halftime adjustments?

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And two head coaches who started him got fired as a result.

15. abyzmul

Well, you're bound to be facing weaker competition in the playoffs this year, so maybe they can break that dry spell. Even though winning playoff games is apparently far less important than winning regular season games.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Not to digress here, but I don't know what you are talking about.

Anyway, since it's likely Sanchez will be back, what if anything should be done differently this coming year?

I think even Sanchez Fans can agree that Brunell has to go as the backup Qb. The Jets already have McElroy, but as exciting as he was in pre-season, his getting injured was a negative and we don't know if it will affect him this coming season. Still, I think on balance he's a reason enough not to draft a Qb right now.

But I do think getting a vet Qb to push Sanchez would be a good thing. If Kyle Orton is available, I would take him in a minute. The kid in GB is likely to cost more, but is worth looking into.

Open camp without saying anything, then see how Sanchez does. If he's not lights out, allow the new vet to take an equal number of snaps with the first team, and see what happens. In short a real Qb competition without making a big deal about it.

Why not? It's not like Sanchez has earned no competition.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

It was the same basic idea as the gameplan for Peyton. Force them to beat us by running the ball. Manning actually killed us on a bunch of 3rd and longs by running the ball, but we were able to keep them off the board for a while. Funny enough, Brady was driving the ball on the first drive but the pick by Harris changed everything. After that, the Pats just struggled for some reason. Brady had so much time and room to run and he just missed throws and open receiver. We tried to do the same thing to Big Ben but we decided not to tackle that game so their run game got going. Also, Big Ben can extend plays much longer than Brady/Manning so we had trouble playing coverage for even longer than we did on Brady/Manning.

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think most Sanchez fans (including me) agree this is the best way to go. Let's get a good backup, I like Orton for this. Let's build up our O line and D. Get a new OC or a different system if Schotty is willing to change. See who performs better and go from there.

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Never understood this point of view. I'm not just saying this as a Jets fan who's never seen a team win the SB, but as a fan in general. You can measure success in a multitude of ways, the three you listed are not the only ones. I still look back on our '09 season and am proud of our team since nobody gave us a fighting chance that season. We were HUGE underdogs in SD and whooped their ass. Yes, we lost the next week, but I still considered the season a success. Why did we HAVE to win against indy or win the SB to win something? How is making it to the SB and losing THAT much more impressive than losing in the AFCE champ game? I don't see the difference. Wins are wins, and I was damn proud that our team won 4 games (big underdogs in all 4). Yes, we fell short, but I still look back and am proud of what we accomplished.

More than one way to measure success. Maybe in NE you guys got spoiled because of you're dynasty from '01-'04, but ask yourself this, how many other teams in the NFL would kill to do what the Jets did in '09 and '10? Even if they knew they would lose, do you think they would still sign up for it?

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have to have a reliable backup for Sanchez, there's no question about that. Who knows if Sanchez even should have been playing after the Denver game? His stats on throws longer than 15 yards dived from that point on.

Yes, most teams are screwed when they have to go to their backup QB's no matter what else happens, but a team supposedly built on their defense can't have a 41 year old guy as the backup. That's just throwing the season away in the event of an injury.

Secondly, if the Jets don't fix the line it absolutely does not matter who they put at QB next season. They'll win 9 or 10 games tops and even if they make the playoffs it will be as the wild card, three on the road before the Super Bowl story all over again.

The Jets could sign Peyton Manning and if the line plays as poorly as it did this season they'll win a couple more games tops, assuming the defense does not slow down more and the offensive line does not collapse and BTW assuming that Peyton Manning can still play the game at a highly competitive level in the north east outdoors, which is maybe a 50/50 proposition but probably not that good.

People are forgetting that Peyton was in decline, albeit a grand decline, from his career peak in 2004. Then he got hurt. The guy wasn't Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers good from about 2006 on. The odds he's that good next season are maybe 5%.