Top free agents for next season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Fair point.
    They did really well drafting Brick and Mangold but really poorly drafting Ducasse. I'd like to think that they are too smart to blow the 16th pick on a fairly easy position to evaluate but who knows.

Another problem. There are supposedly not a lot of good safeties this year.

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

That elite player has to be OL, or DL ONLY if we lose pouha. Maybe safety too, thats about all i see happening

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Mangold and Brick may have started immediately, but Brick struggled a LOT right out of the gate. Mangold didn't do as badly, but he didn't have a Pouncey type of rookie season, either, even though he had a pair of veterans helping him out at the guard position.

The odds of the Jets finding a rookie RT that won't get Sanchez killed nearly as badly as Hunter did are pretty low, in my experience.

As far as safeties, that sucks, but I understand there will be a shit-ton of good 3-4 OLB prospects to choose from early. I'd rather get one of the best in the first than wait until the 2nd for a second tier JAG prospect.

4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Which is why I think signing a FA Safety is totally necessary. This would allow us to (hopefully) find a steal instead of having to reach for one in the Draft at Safety who can learn/rotate in and eventually start in future seasons.

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

What do you think of Slauson @ rt? He playd it in college after all, but ive rarely seen it mentioned

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think he's fine at OG... Whether the left or right side is suited more for him I'm not sure, but I think he's a good Guard. We must look elsewhere to find our RT imo..... I wouldn't be opposed to a draftee or an FA, just bring someone in.

7. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I think it's 50-50 that a rookie first round pick is better than Hunter next year (and maybe 70-30 they're better than him in 2013). There's like a 20% chance the pick busts, a 30% chance they're a reasonable player but like Brick or many other rookies aren't really ready to play at a fairly high level and displace even a bad veteran, and a 50% chance the guy's good to go.

I'd go in another direction-OLB, safety, WR-with the first two picks but pick up a RT in about the fourth. RT is a spot where you can often get a pretty decent player later in the draft (RTs don't really need the athletic ability that LTs do, so you can get by with a big mean nasty guy who's limited as an athlete).

#67 ManlyGenius, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

mario williams WILL be franchised ... the texans have invested far too much time and money into him just to let him walk and be a star for another team

cliff avril should be priority number one ... detroit has a lot of money tied up in the d-line and theres a chance that hes not franchised

i also like another posters idea of signing robert meachem ... he has good speed, good hands, and is a solid route runner ... most importantly, he probably wont get huge money

im in the camp that we should sign a veteran RT, i havent seen who the available FAs are, tho

9. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

LaRon Landry's achilles is somewhat of a ticking time bomb, but on the other hand could lower his price. Only 27.

Also Brandon Lloyd is an interesting player. He's always been obviously more talented than his numbers reflect, except the one super-season, but just never put it all together. Lloyd is great in the "throw up a brick, pray for the best" department.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I know he's not a free agent but what are the chances the Giants part ways with OSI after the season?
    GOD i'd love to have him!

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Two Redskins I want

Per rotoworld

12. RevisXt

RevisXt Member

We're not getting Matt Flint people lets be real here.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Thats the IMPORTANT part. Everyone says sign a vet RT, but to be honest, there isnt really anything out there. Kareem Mckenzie’s name gets thrown around, but he’s gonna be 33. He may be a semi upgrade over Hunter next year, but beyond that RT will once again be a liability.

There isnt many options in FA. Only realistic possibility that makes some sense is Levi Brown. He was a probowl RT, then switched to LT and played kind of poorly. He’s 27 which isnt old and could come relatively cheap. Aside from him, there isnt really anything out there.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

I sure as hell would hope not... He’s not even in the NFL.

15. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Yeah, cuz we need an injured personality talking shit, while not even on the field.

16. Mr. Green Pants

Unfortunately, I think there's a good chance he'll follow McDaniels to New England.

17. KerleyFries

KerleyFries Member

They need to get rid of Holmes, he could single-handedly bring down the entire Jets team. If they're smart, they'll take the huge cap hit and hopefully learn from their mistake.

18. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Get rid of Schotty and I bet Holmes is a saint.

19. KerleyFries

KerleyFries Member

He'll never be a saint if the Jets want to be a Ground and Pound team. Receivers are known to be prima-donnas, and Santonio Holmes is the queen.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

No one will take santonio now...we will have to take his antics into next season, especially that dumb pointing thing he doee everytime he gets a first down. Even in blowouts.