Top free agents for next season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Jan 2, 2012.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

Not the little fucker named Desean Jackson. I want him nowhere near this team.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yes to one of those

We need Mario and I would be good with Mathis...We desperately need leadership again

3. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

Bart Scott probably isn't returning to the team. Since in 3-4 defense, the 2 OLB's are mostly primary pass rushers, it's very important to have TWO good ILB's. If we can get Morrison, we would have two OUTSTANDING ILB's. I would sign up for that any day...

*EDIT* Never mind, I didn't even realize he was no longer with the Raiders. He played for the Bills last year and couldn't even get on the field AFTER being let go by the Jaguars the previous year. He's no longer the player he was at Oakland. I would love to have Curtis Lofton but he's on the verge of being an ELITE player. Falcons aren't letting him go.

#43 zonebuster413, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. TomlinsonRockNGreen

TomlinsonRockNGreen New Member

We should sign Grubbs to upgrade at tackle. Somehow get Mario Williams. And then draft a guy like Montee Ball to ground and pound with Shonn Greene and get back on track to leading the league in rushing and also to open things up for Sanchez.

5. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Two questions that kind of correspond to each other:
    1. Under the new CBA, is there still a Franchise Tag?
    2. What's with the Mario Williams talk?

As much as I would like to get Williams, why should we think Houston wouldn't give him a new contract or Franchise Tag him?

6. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

Houston has a lot to resign. Arian Foster is a Free Agent, and he is priority #1. They also have to resign their center who is turning into one of the best in the league. He is definitely going to stay in Houston, but it won't be for cheap. I really don't think they can afford to give Mario Williams as much money as he wants. He would have to take less money to go back to Houston. If the Jets offer him how much money he wants, he will be a Jet. They also have a few others players to resign as well who they can't just ignore.

7. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Williams is a much bigger priority than Foster; running backs are replaceable and Foster's backups are pretty good.

Williams gets franchised if he doesn't get re-signed.

Also, Grubbs and Nicks are going to be $8 million a year guys so we aren't getting them.

Say no to crack folks.

EDIT: They can't cut Scott without taking a heavy cap hit. He's either on the team taking up about 6 million of cap space or off the team (cut or traded) taking up about 7.2 million.

#47 ManlyGenius, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  8. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Spending that on OL is def possible. Elite wrs/olb/hbs are NOT

9. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

It would be very hard to build a complete team if you spent elite money on another guy because you already have about 18 million tied up between Brick and Mangold, and those two have big cap numbers for the foreseeable future. It's doable-and if anyone can do it Tanny can-but you've got to spread the money around on a bunch of positions.

10. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Quote:
    Ben Grubbs (this move can completely save our offense, an experienced guard, played with Rex on the Ravens, and theres a GREAT chance they cant afford him after giving out some monster contracts, and with Ray Rice being due for a new one)

Carl Nicks (another Guard, dont know much about him other than Saints might not be able to afford him)

I often agree with you, but not on this point. While the addition of both would most certainly give the Jets a great interior OL, perhaps even the best in the NFL, I wouldn't want that for a couple of reasons.

One, the Jets have a glaring need at RT and S, not OG. Signing both Grubb and Nicks would probably use up all the Jets available FA $s and leave none to sign a RT or S, especially after they have to take a cap hit for releasing Holmes. In addition, they'd have WAY too much cap space tied up in the OL and it would leave little for star playmakers either on offense or defense. I'd much rather have an average or above average OL and some great playmakers on both sides of the ball, than a great OL and average or only slightly above average playmakers.

Two, Moore has been a great Jet and while he's getting older and more nicked up, he still has a good year or two left. If the Jets signed both Grubb and Nicks, both would have to start. They'd then probably wind up having to release Moore for cap reasons and/or because he'd refuse to be a backup. That's also not the way to treat one of the best, most consistent players the Jets have had over the last what 8 years. Slauson has also been pretty decent and is getting better. I wouldn't mind upgrading Slauson's position, but only after the Jets have signed a FA RT and S.

If they have the $s, I think the best use of their money and the best way to improve the team would be to sign either Kareem McKenzie or Vernon Carey at RT and Michael Griffin. That would address two of their biggest needs. The other (OLB) would be addressed in the draft in the first or second round and maybe double dipping later.

11. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Some of you are dreaming. There's no way the Jets will have the cap space for someone like Mario Williams, Vincent Jackson or some of the other big name players you suggest.

To begin with, they're not gonna have that much cap space anyway. Secondly, after they release Holmes (and they have to or Rex will lose the team), they will have around $5-7 million dead money on the cap that will eat up a big chunk of what they could have spent on FAs. The Jets will be lucky to be able to sign a Michael Griffin or Kareem McKenzie and maybe another player, either a veteran on the downside of his career or a young developmental player.

12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Agreed. I can't see them offering Foster a mega-deal with a guy like Ben Tate waiting in the wings. Williams is a far more valuable player.

13. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

But you can always make room for one signing and the Jets' MO has been to make a splashy acquisition every year.

I bet they do add one big name-I just don't think it will be an OL or that Mario Williams.

14. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

After debating with myself, I've decided that Michael Griffin should be a targeted FA. Despite his flaws, can he really be worse than Eric Smith?

I think it's important to sign a Safety in FA because that would allow us to draft a Safety, without reaching, who can learn and develop.

Of course, solidifying the RT is paramount, but the more we're able to fix in FA - and by "fix" I mean acquire starters - the better our chances are of a successful draft.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Awesome. Do you know the odds of us finding a tackle at the 15th pick that will contribute immediately? Not good. We need a veteran on the end of the line.

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Slauson can play RT. Plug one of them into lg, and slide him doen. Then we have one elite side,and one decent side

17. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I'd go with a veteran at RT but the chances that you could pick up a tackles who can contribute immediately are pretty good. That's roughly where guys like Solder and Oher were picked and they were both fine as rookies. I'm not as sure about the guys this year (it looks like picking a tackle in the first would be a bad value play as Kalil and Martin will be gone and you could trade down and get a guy like Sanders or Potter), but rookie tackles not named Ducasse who get drafted in the first two rounds of the draft do frequently start.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Okay, I may have left something out. What are the odds, with the Jets' scouting department, of them finding a RT that can contribute immediately?

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I think they'll have enough money for an elite player pending they don't sign anyone else. Aren't we already $12+ mil under the cap? Not the approach I'd take, but it can be done I believe.

20. Titans

Titans Member

Dont count on it Holmes will be back next season