Sanchez: 32 TD's and 18 Interceptions...Regression?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 3, 2012.

1. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Regression?

If Sanchez has the ability to Call out of a certain play and is not , then he is Regressing .
    This was a really tough year to Judge Sanchez. There was so much good , but also just as much bad. On Monday I'm blaming the O-line , then I'm watching this guy throw ridiculous pick after pick. The next week the Defense Blows it and I'm think what a waste of an offensive effort that was minimal at best ; but wasted.

We had some stints where I though we put it together and then fell apart once a superior team imposed their will on us. We needed to miss the play offs to get better and to exposed the front office for their lack of planning and in game planning . All around Plenty of blame and a whole lot of regression to spread around.

2. jetsetter81

jetsetter81 New Member

One stat that I believe that you are overlooking is Sanchez's completion percentage which has not improved significantly over the past 3 years. Sanchez has been inaccurate even with a competent o-line and running game his first two years and this has been a difficulty for him. This is the area which he needs improvement in to be a successful QB. He has consistently been in the bottom 5 of completion percentage his first 3 years which is a major problem for the offense. With that said, I don't think he is much better than a Tarvares Jackson or a Rex Grossman.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I do think that this is a point that should be mentioned. I can't see much of an argument that his performance was better this year than in years past, while that of QBs as a whole was. The Jets counted on him to take a major step forward this year and he obviously didn't. Getting rid of him before getting rid of Schottenheimer is IMO just stupid, but I certainly feel a quality veteran QB should be brought in and there should be a real QB competition next training camp. If Sanchez isn't the starter, or doesn't improve dramatically as the starter, next year will be his last in green and white.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Regardless of what stats tell you.... Sanchez needs a running game to be effective. He's a play-action passer, he's good at rolling out in the pocket as well. Our PA passing was non existent this year and that must change in 2012.

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

His improvement wasn't as great as I wanted going into the season but I wasn't expecting the o-line to be so miserable either. Get the line solidified again and the perceived QB and RB problems are out the window. The WR situation needs to change.

6. Pereiro16

Pereiro16 Member

did you even read the post I responded to? Of course not

7. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Because we were behind more and Sanchez was padding some of his numbers late because of prevent defenses (like the last TD in the Miami game for one)...plus you have to throw in his league-leading eight fumbles lost along with the eighteen INT's. That's twenty-six turnovers, hardly acceptable.

Funny how nobody says Namath's a cook for wanting to change Sanchez's grip now the way he did on Hard Knocks.

8. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I told myself at the start of the season that I would be happy if Sanchez had a 2 to1 ratio with tds to ints.
    32 and 18 is pretty damn close.
    I think the only thing Sanchez has to improve on is his decision making and accuracy. There were a lot of picks that he threw this year that he could have just threw away. Instead he makes a bad decision to force it in somewhere.

9. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I was thinking more Richard Todd in the Orange Bowl :sad:

It's funny how people add in the rushing TD's to his TD total but don't add in the fumbles to his turnover total. That's a selective use of stats. Either stick with the pure passing numbers (26-18) or include everything.

And like I said, a lot of those 32 came in garbage time or against bad teams. What good team did we beat this year?

#89 NYJFan10, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

The RT is dog shit and that is a big problem. The rest of the OLine is solid tho.

11. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

He was 32:28 in turnover ratio.

12. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Really? How was he supposed to make major strides with:

1. No offseason
    2. The WR's provided. Who outside our 45 million dollar prima dona are another rotation from one year to another. And not one of them scares an opposing defense. I guess Plax in the redzone. Keller sucks.
    3. O-line that couldnt protect him
    4. A running game ranked near the bottom of the league
    5. Possible shoulder and neck issues

And at the bottom of the list

6. The coaching staff. Shotty is garbage and Rex is a fool for not seeing issues.

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The reason fumbles aren't included on the list of turnovers is because fumble recoveries are random. A pick is always a turnover, but a fumble should be a 50:50 proposition.

Sanchez clearly puts the ball on the ground too often, but he was particularly unlucky in seeing so few recovered by our guys (though the team was ahead of the curve in 2010).

14. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

turnovers are turnovers, rushing TDs by a QB is one of the most variable stats in football but we are adding them in because they happened, same for the fumbles. We aren't trying to project the stats forward, we are analyzing how he performed. His performance was across the board well below the average NFL QB (with the exception of TDs thrown) arguing minutiae on which data set to use ignores the more pressing problem of his poor performance

15. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

pretty much nails it. Openly obvious attempt to manipulate stats to back up a view point.

16. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

My guess would be that QB fumbles are not as likely to be picked up fumbles by the other "skill" positions. When a player is going for yards after the catch or a RB is trying to explode through a hole, there's hopefully some blockers around that are in a good position to see fumble & recover. QB behind the line & many of the offensive players are looking away from him.

There's gotta be some type of adjustment on Sanchez's part though to compensate for all the times he puts the ball on the turf. Drives me nuts how he dances behind the line trying to extend the play and holds the ball in one hand low and away from his body.

#96 ajax, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  17. jetmart

jetmart New Member

Just to compare:

Stafford, after missing most of his 1st 2 years, rebounded to pass for 4,900+ yards and 40 TDs with 15 INTs.

Holy smoke, that's something.

Of course, he has a real #1 receiver, Megatron. We have Holmes!

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

With regard to the fumbles - those that result from blown protection by the OL and the QB getting hit I dont really take as a black mark against the QB in the same way as a poorly thrown ball leading to an interception.

Stats like that dont tell the whole story - I was watching the Minny game highlgihts and Ponder threw a great ball that bounced out of the receivers hands and was intercepted - it counts against Ponder but was in no way at all due to him.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No, the real reason is he can't pass the ball more than 2 yards with accuracy. Do you really think Sanshit would have thrown for 4900 yards with their receivers? He would have probably ended up with twice the picks and half the yards because he would have actually tried to throw the ball downfield instead of checking down on just about every play called all year.

To add a little perspective, Pennington never had a completion percentage anywhere near as low and a QB rating only once as low as Sanchez despite being on a lousy team and fighting through injuries a good part of his career.

#99 Don, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

he has the best receiver in the league. Our receivers didn't ever get separation and the OL never gave Sanchez time to throw. Sure, Sanchez has some things to fix, but he was surrounded by garbage this year.