Media Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Jan 4, 2012.

1. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

This is just something that I have always felt and figured the best place to post this would be here.

In this 24/7 twitter news-cycle that we live in the public has been jaded by the media's perception of what is politically correct. The media has become such a competitive industry that any time an individual speaks out of the normal cliche language they bash the individual in order to create headlines. Rex Ryan is not your typical cog in the cliche world of sports. Most members of the sports world operate under the status quo. For example the typical answer to how did the win feel is always "it felt good, glad to get the win with my team". Now you all know that is not what the players are saying behind closed doors. Well now for me to get onto my point, the media should love Rex, he makes their jobs easier. But, instead they decide to bash Rex continually knowing that to his fault he will never shut up. If any of you think that the media does not lick its chops when Rex opens his mouth you are stupid. In a world where complete conviction should be rewarded the media both turns his words against him and use them to their advantage.

Recently, I have been reading Rex Ryan's book and the more I read of it the more I love the man and the type of leader that he is. He is totally committed to this game, this team and leading this team to a Super Bowl. There should not be one question in the fan base on whether or not Ryan is the right man to lead this team. He shows an undying passion that every fan, and player should want their coaches to show.

Does the man have his flaws? Yes, he has not worked well with the offense. But, I do think that he knows what it takes to win and he will not sleep until him and Mike Tannenbaum build a championship team.

That is of course if the media hasn't driven Rex out of town by then. But it would be at that moment that they would realize that Rex makes their jobs easier and they should be thanking them. It just sucks that everyone's opinions of Rex Ryan and the Jets come from the asshole media ESPN. Annoying how the average fans form their opinions from ESPN and do not really take the time to look beyond the 30 second news piece to really understand the pulse of a team.

But, I encourage you all to read his book, not only will you get fired up for next season, you will know why Rex is the right man for the job (if you had begun to question).

And you know guys every team misses the playoffs, we will retool and be back ready to wreck shit next season. This team is not that far off and with upgrades at a few key positions (free agency, the draft) and the full training camp to build the team they will be alright.

#1 SienaSaints, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I still support RR 100%.... I like his personality, his defenses are ALWAYS competent.

He's gotta stop giving the media juicy quotes that they can take out of context and over-analyze, though. That's really all it ever is.

He'll complement the opposition, talk about their strengths, etc, then explain how he's confident the Jets can win the game and, as we all know, only the latter part gets dissected.

#2 Jake, Jan 4, 2012
  3. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

it's even simpler than that:

his father's a loudmouth a-hole, his brother is a loudmouth a-hole
    and rex is a loudmouth a-hole

apple don't fall far from that tree of jackoffs

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I have no problems with loudmouth a-holes being employed by the NYJ so long as they are skilled at their craft and all three of the aforementioned jackoffs are.

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The reporting of Rex and his comments has been consistently disingenuous from the moment he took the job.

People like Florio and Rosenthal at PFT scour every press conference for a quote, often just a few words, to take completely out of context and present as arrogant or absurd. There is no balance, no fairness and no integrity in the reporting, but they know every time they do it 50-100 morons will comment about how intolerable Rex is, how he's fat and will never win anything, page views go up, NBC give them a pat on the back and they are all smugly satisfied. Florio has even started an overt 'Rex deserves to be on the hot seat, his players will tune him out' campaign based on nothing but his own dumb opinion. Even Rodney Harrison laughed in his face when he said it aloud, but he perseveres.

NFL.com is also adopting this approach to reporting Ryan, which is just wrong in my book.

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

As I have posted many times before - Rex is not a trashtalker, he pretty much never shit talks anyone and whilst he talks up his own players (too much at times) he also goes out of his way to praise his opponents and players on the other team and any one who watches any of his pre-game press conferences will know this (and so all opposing fans know is the 1 soundbite taken out of context by sites like PFT to create sensations and hits.

If rex was to say "the packers and patriots are incredible teams, they have amazing QB in Rodgers and Brady who are the best in the league, but I still like mark and think he can have similar success with the Jets going forward if we play to his strengths and build up a strong supporting cast" the media would come out with "Rex declares that Sanchez is the best quarterback in the NFL and slams Rodgers and Brady"

7. Ted

Ted Member

Rex is a good coach and was a media darling his first couple of years but many are growing tired of the talk. On numerous occasions he has put himself out there for the animal to feed on which they take advantage of. Rex needs to focus on coaching instead of being the center of attention.

Being Buddy Ryan's son is no help but it shouldn't be an excuse either.

8. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

What gets me is he never says anything bad....the goal is to win a super bowl, I think we are the better team, I think we will win, and he gets killed for it. He doesn't take cheap shots , doesnt insult other players, and just talks positive about his team. He didn't say anything this year that would make anyone go how could he say that!!

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You're wrong, actually. Rex is not even close to the same type of personality that his father has. Rex would never rub a fellow coach or a player the wrong way. Whenever Ditka tried to talk to Buddy about making changes, all he got was 'Fuck you, I run the defense."

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He felt he could do that because George Halas retained him prior to hiring Ditka. The defensive players all wrote a note to Halas begging him to keep Buddy and Buddy knew he was untouchable.

But, seeing Buddy punch Gilbride in the face was one of the funnier things I had ever seen while watching a Football game.

11. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

If Rex Ryan was to walk across the Hudson River, the headline in the Post the next day would be "Ryan Can't Swim".

12. abyzmul

Hehe, I actually re-read that chapter in Rex's book last night.

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

That's funny, I was going to read that book again this offseason. There's more detail about it in the George Halas book I have. Those Bears players LOVED Buddy.

14. akibud

akibud Active Member

Not my flavor at all, give me a Tony Dungy, or Eric Mangini everyday. Handle yourself with class, carry yourself with class, your team might just show some class. Shut up and coach!! The media wants a winner as well as any fan. If the team is winning, they will write all kinds of feel good love stories about even the coaches pet! Losing and being a blowhard, well, that's almost too easy.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Haha...I loved Buddy Ryan, still do and Namath will tell you that even though he was only an assistant at the time it was Buddy Ryan's planning that was most responsible for winning the one and only superbowl that we have.

16. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Interesting, just listen to a clip of E(Shit)PN man on the street questioning if REX should stay or go.

Guess who they chose to ask..............

You got it, almost every questioner hated the Jets and were not Jets fans and by extenion RR .....

What a totally Classless bunch these folks at ESPN are....

17. abyzmul

Yeah, according to Rex, Buddy and Walt Michaels did most of the defensive game planning for that game.

#17 abyzmul, Jan 4, 2012
  18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Seriously?....:eek:hmy:

Rex talks a lot but he is never disrespectful of the other team, he never puts the other team down, and as someone mentioned his defenses are outstanding, and he always listens to his coaches, he is nothing like his father. As a matter of fact his coaching style is actually pretty competent.

If he had a more experienced OC he would probably have won a SB in his first 2 years. He treats his coaches and players like men.

Maybe he has to tweak his complete hands off approach on offense, but this season does not fall on Rex, MT did a terrible job of getting the oline in place and the lack of depth, along with BS poor offensive scheme(again) killed this team.

19. akibud

akibud Active Member

seriously,... I found Eric Mangini's handling of this team to be very professional, he got canned by tying his hopes and future to Bret Favre. I loved his demeanor, and his soft spoken public approach. The coach should not be visible and ripping off quotes every time he opens his mouth (my opinion). Like I said, win and the media will write the most beautiful stories in your honor.

20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Rex is a smart person and will learn from his mistakes, that's why I support him. He's no dummy like his stubborn dad. I hope he clams up a little and protects himself from the media, its servers them right. Then they will mock him for not being himself which they want because it makes their jobs easier