McKnight & Greene

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeSLTJ23, Jan 3, 2012.

1. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of what LT's contract looks like, whether he's done after this year or not. Regardless, do you guys think that McKnight could carry the load with Greene spelling him? McKnight seems to have the talent to be our primary back, but he makes a lot of costly mistakes. If he minimizes those, I think he has a chance to be the guy. He's quick, gets out on screens well, etc. Doesn't break tackles as well as I thought he would, but I think he has a chance to be pretty good. I also like Greene, but would prefer him to spell someone else to keep him fresh. He's much more effective IMO when his touches are relatively limited and he can pound the ball at a tired D.

I just feel like of all this team's issues, I think the Jets can overcome their RB issues with the guys they already have.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that McKnight could be the guy with another year? Am I seeing something in this kid that's not there?

2. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

McKnight is more of a 3rd down back who can catch passes, I'm not sure his light frame can handle pounding the rock between the tackles for a whole season.

3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

fix the o-line, or you can have a.p. back there and he won't go anywhere.

4. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Actually our run blocking wasn't the problem. Schotty is just a moron and kept abandoning the run when it got going. We should have run the ball a lot more than we did.

5. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^ This

6. OverloadBlitz

I tried explaining to people that our OL was actually pretty good at run blocking and they still said it sucked when the fact is Greene can not break a run longer than 40 yards even if Moses parted the red sea for him.

7. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

LOL, I actually thought our run blocking wasn't creating enough holes or rather they were closing to quickly.

8. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this but... on to the OP

There is no such thing as a primary runner for any more in our day in football... You have Forte, AP, Foster, CJ other then that its a group that carrys it all 2-3-4 guys not a primary runner which goes to the arguement of depth which i do think were fine and I just want these players to be used to there strengths

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Shonn Greene and Joe McKnight can get the job done so long as there is a commitment to the run game and RT/depth problems on the OL are addressed.

Greene put together a decent year considering the rib injury, curious play-calling and inconsistent OL.

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We are okay with Greene and McKnight. I think 5hey compliment each other well.

11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Again, I mentioned this in another thread...I feel we could bring back our entire backfield and be back in the top 5 in rushing next year. I saw enough in the last game...after a 15 game season, to know that LT has enough in the tank for one more year and a shot at a SB. Make no mistake about it, make a couple corrections and get a ball to bounce a different way or two and we are in the playoffs. Of course...then there's always a chance. He has just as good a chance with the Jets as any team outside the Patriots or Green Bay.

Sooooo...personally, I want to see LT come back and I am more than happy with Greene and McKnight. In fact, the game or two I saw McKnight have more than just a couple carries he did pretty well. On top of that, he SHOULD have made the pro bowl as a returner. Keep Powell around for another year as well. The backfield was NOT the issue this year. Use our draft picks for other areas of need such as LB, O-Line and WR.

Just my humble opinion. :smile:

12. mr nyjet

not only do they need to fix the line, but need to throw downfield.

i never saw 8-9-10 guys in the box when namath, todd, or o'brien were in there.

they had arms that could throw deep passes, on target, and with zip.

watch sb3 and you'll see that snell and boozer had room to run cause the colts had to keep safeties and cbs back to defend the deep pass. the jets opened the game throwing deep to maynard and kept throwing downfield to sauer whnever the safties starting creeping up to support the run defense.

13. OverloadBlitz

LT should of started this season he still had plenty left in the tank IMO.

14. mr nyjet

:)send woody your resume and tell him to move the bean counter over to his area of expertise, contracts. i'm not kidding.:beer:

15. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I completely agree. Would love to see LT come back for one more year with the Jets. He definitely still has a lot of juice left in his legs and we could certainly use his team leadership abilities.

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

They also had Don Maynard, George Saver, Wesley Walker and Al Toon to throw to.

17. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

What about drafting a RB in the late rounds? I could see us doing that, if theirs someone good on the table.

18. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Naw...do not agree with this at all...we have plenty of runners. Use that late round pick to grab up some depth along the o-line or possibly a 4th or 5th WR for competition. A LB'er perhaps. To spend a pick on a RB would render the Powell pick a "waste" from the year previous...especially when a late round running back isn't going to crack anything other than the practice squad at this point...and we have one of those in Powell.

Pay LT $2.5 million for the year (sufficient compensation considering his age and use and isn't a slap in the "puss") and roll into next year with Greene as the feature, LT to spell him and catch passes out of the backfield and split time with McKnight on 3rd downs. You can mix up LT and Greene as the feature depending upon the team you are playing and game plan you are rolling with. That would be exactly what I would do.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this and schotty would rather get all 11 defenders as close to the line of scrimmage as possible

20. mr nyjet

you're right. the biggest reason santonio blew up and burgess won't come back is because we didn't do that this year. the qb being rattled and throwing so many dink passes even short of the first down markers had to due with the o-line problems , which are tannenbaum's fault.

spent so much time chasing nomdie that other areas of need were totally neglected. you saw what the line really was when mangold was injured.