Don't give up on our rookie quarterback...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Oct 18, 2009.

1. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

I agree we should not give up on Sanchez just yet. Let's upgrade the offensive line first, get a new offensive coordinator, a new qb coach, if after all these changes Mark Sanchez doesn't improve, then yes we should consider getting rid of him, but for now I say give him another year with these upgrades.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

2012 is Sanchez' most important season. He will have to play well in 2012. The excuses now end. 2009-11 are in the books. Three seasons are completed. Now the honeymoon is over.

I want true competition at the QB position this summer. Matt Flynn? Too much of a gamble. Jason Campbell on a 1 or 2-year contract? That would be good.

3. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

You're wrong there. The likes of Brady make average receivers look good. Are Gronkowski and Hernandez THAT much better than Keller? I don't think so but playing with Brady makes them look like All-Pros.

4. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

Probably better to go 15 yrs, don't forget he only played 1 yr in college.

5. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

His mental mistakes need to go down. I think he didn't shake it off this year because of the shaky OLine play with Hunter playing horribly, DBrick having a huge down year, and Mangold getting hurt. He was simply rattled. He needs to improve upon his mental toughness and decision making, but when his line is sured up he rarely makes the mistakes. I think with a revamped team next year he can do something for sure. Don't forget he actually improved upon his numbers from the last few years.

I think this team needed a huge kick in the ass and maybe this is what we needed to take the next step.

6. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

While we've disagreed in aspects of this conversation, I totally agree with this. Anyone that doesn't think bringing in a capable, NFL QB like a Campbell is thinking like a loyal fan-boy. Nothing wrong with Mark being pushed in training camp for really the first time in his pro career.

7. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

That was pretty much expected. This team couldn't run like the previous two teams, so they had to throw the ball more. Look at his completion percentage though... 56.7%, which is 27th out of 33 QBs on the list.

8. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Seriously?

9. JohnnyThaJet

I agree , things would change a lot if Sanchez takes a step back. I want some competition in there for sure and Campbell is a solid choice, although he might be looking at getting a startong job. Maybe someone like Garrard, Leftwich, or McNabb. A capable starter who can possibly light a fire under Sanchez's ass. Id also love to see us make a big splash on offense whether it be the draft or free agency. A solid signing of a great WR, new Tackle, or RB. Who knows but a splash would be awesome.

10. JohnnyThaJet

Not exactly impressive but I wouldnt forget this offense was figured out 6 weeks ago. And its sad because it was so blatantly obvious. Not an excuse for Sanchez but definitely something to look at when evaluating.

11. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Yes, seriously. So, Gronkowski posted the best numbers for a TE ever. Are you gonna tell me that he's better than Shannon Sharpe or Kellen Winslow Sr.? Brady just made him look that good.

12. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Gronkowski is the best TE in the NFL, and nobody is close.

Let's see, Gronkowski had 90 receptions for 1,327 yards and 17 TD's, numbers blowing away anything that Sharpe or Winslow ever accomplished.

But I guess it's all because of Brady because Sharpe and Winslow played with lousy QB's.

13. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

I am by no means an expert and I've defended Sanchez to my friends so this is my opinion only. Something was off with Sanchez all season. The problems I see with him is that he never truly looked comfortable in the pocket and too many times throws behind the receivers. Those to me should be fixable issues.

The bigger problems to me is the play calling and the OL. People say the running game was poor but that points to the OL too. Wayne Hunter turned out to be a major downgrade and Sanchez was feeling a lot of pressure which could have led to him being uncomfortable in the pocket. With the play calling I think I read this somewhere else but you can't ask Sanchez not to lose the game then expect him to win it when the D can't hold a lead. Also, you have to take some shots down the field (though then again you need the OL to give you time to through)

Another thing I saw is that the D was not as good in the past and even when Sanchez did put up points the D let the lead go away. The is no excuse for a 21 play 12 minute drive if you're a top defenses. Nor letting Tebow going 95 yards.

You look at the good passing teams and the QBs have time to throw. You look at the consistently good running teams and their OL opens holes. We did neither of those and while Sanchez definitely needs to improve, the team as a whole has to do so for us to be successful. One other thing to keep in mind is that Sanchez started really only 1 year in college and in his first two year has tied the record for most road wins in the playoffs of any QB in the NFL, has proven he can bring the team back in the 4th QTR, and has statistically improved this year.

While there is definitely a bit he has to work on, I feel there's a lot to build on there too

14. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I never really like comparing too much but Gronk and Hernandez are both much better then Keller just in terms of athletic ability, combine that with the fact that they actually hustle every play. I do agree that Tom Brady as some affect in that but still those TE's have god given athletic ability that helps them get separation effectively.

15. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Also, forget about the likes of Brady, Manning, etc., let's compare Sanchez's stats to Andy Dalton's, Cincinnati rookie QB who was selected in the 2nd round:

Andy Dalton
    [table="head"]Year|Pct|Yds|TD|INT|QB Rating|Fumbles|Fumbles lost
    2011|58.1|3,398|20|13|80.4|4|2[/table]

Mark Sanchez
    [table="head"]Year|Pct|Yds|TD|INT|QB Rating|Fumbles|Fumbles lost
    2011|56.7|3,474|26|18|78.2|10|8
    2010|54.8|3,291|17|13|75.3|9|1
    2009|53.8|2,444|12|20|63.0|10|3[/table]

Let the numbers speak for themselves...

16. jack handy

jack handy Member

Rookie, Kid -- thought that this was his third season. When do you stop being a rookie - just asking.

17. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Outside of the disaster in Baltimore he was completing at 58.5%, which is still not good enough. He had 9 games out of 16 where he completed less than 60%. I think it's an established trend now, after three years.

That's not to say he couldn't do better in another system, so I'd also like to see him get another year in a more suitable offense before calling time on his Jets career.

18. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

This thread was created in 2009 :)

19. jack handy

jack handy Member

My bad - haven't been on much today, What is the general thought about Sanchez and his role going forward.

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

If we give up on him, we better have an established plan, not bring in Matt Flynn or Kyle Orton to start right away. I don't mind letting them compete for the starting job, but to get rid of Mark and get a stop gap or a qb we have seen for 2 starts and expect that to be the future would be reacting in the moment too much. Light a fire under Mark by bringing in Orton cheap (I think Flynn is getting a starter contract from a dumb team), get him a new OC, and lets see who wins out.