Braylon Edwards - Released by SF on 12/27

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Doesn't the timing of this concern anyone? Something is up.

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

like I said before : Keep Plax, sign Edwards if hes healthy. Plax would most likely be used in the redzone only as that is the only place hes able to really do anything. Use Edwards on the majority of the plays because hes a better blocker and is a deep threat.

Both should be cheap to keep around.

3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I think it goes beyond health. From what was being said last year after Edwards was let go, it seems he is a complete jerk. It seems like the Jets wanted no part of him and now the 9ers just want him gone with 1 game left. I am not sure this is football related.

4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I agree that we have no vertical game, but a lot of the blame for that goes to our OLine, Sanchez, Schotty, the WR corps, Rex, Tanny etc (see threads littering this forum). For the record, I'm in the fire Schotty and develop some OLine depth camp.

Braylon isn't the only WR in the universe capable of filling that deep role. Hell, if we really want someone to stretch the field, why not DeSean Jackson (just an example - I don't want that fucktard lining up across from Holmes)? There is a reason Edwards can be had so cheap (injury, attitude, and displinary risk), and we have seen his ceiling, which is about 55 receptions, 900 yds, and 7 TDs. Assuming he can return to that level - and that is a BIG assumption - is that really the game changing difference maker we lack? Is that a BEAST we need to sign?

Instead of bringing Edwards back, let's use the roster spot to draft a dynamic playmaker to apprentice behind Plax for a year or two and contribute on special teams. If there is a potential 100 rec, 1300 yd, 10 TD guy at our draft spot, we need to take him.

5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Why can't the Jets bring in guys with good character instead of taking on these players who have character issues? Teams with success kick those kinds of players to the curb, instead Rex likes to try to take them on.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe they have an injury at another position and need to bring someone up from the PS for the playoffs. Edwards has not exactly been justifying a roster spot on that team.

7. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Yes - he is not playing this year because he needs more time to rehab the injury. So he isn't getting picked up until the off-season and there will be no waivers to pass through.

I'd still rather see VJax or DeSean here next year but we need OL help (new RT), and depth, and a new coordinator before a deep threat will be of any help!

8. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Those kind of players look up to Rex...

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't know what kind of cap space the Jets are going to have next year, but my guess is that it won't be a heck of a lot. Braylon would be much cheaper than either of those guys. From a pure skill/age perspective obviously those guys are better. You also have to consider that Sanchez and Braylon have chemistry. The WR musical chairs isn't a good game to play with a young developing QB.

Those guys both have attitude problems, so they aren't necessarily an upgrade over Braylon in that category.

10. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

we should def sign him

11. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

he has a knee injury..not healed yet..give him a chance in the off season.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why? So he can come back here and fuck up after hours again? Do we really need the headache? The man may be great on the field, but he can't seem to control himself off of it. At least not in the TriState.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We played in back to back AFCCG with Braylon on the team. I'm not trying to say the sole reason we're probably not going to make the playoffs this year is that we don't have Braylon on the team (hardly), but can you honestly say we are better without him?

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

We can do the Josh Hamilton and hire a 24 hour chaperone.

The fucking guy can seal the outside with blocks.

15. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Continuity at the WR position is a must! He knows the system. We were smart to not pay top dollar but now we should be able to get him for cheap. Win win situation.

16. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Didn't he have access to a 24 hour a day team driver when he got his last DUI?

17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'd prefer no Shotty and an entirely new system.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yes he did.

Give me a receiver in the draft over edwards. There should be a few good options with Size and speed even in the second. Between the Prima donna attitude, legal troubles, and mediocre prodution, he's not worth it.

19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Can someone post the deep-passing completions of Sanchez (incl. playoffs) for 2009, 2010, and 2011 year-to-date. 20+ yards, 40+yards, 50+yards.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

How many 3rd-down completions did we get with Crotchery in 2009 and 2010 ? Remember when he pulled a hamstring and STILL caught the ball ?