Does this loss make the Giants the team of NY?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by srqman1, Dec 25, 2011.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Did you make a post? I must have skipped over it. Maybe I should have skipped over this one, too.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'am a Giants fan after all they own NY.

3. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Giants have always been the New york football team. In the big picture this game meant little than what was really on the line and that was the playoffs. We beat the Giants in 88 to knock them out of the playoffs did that make the town ours?...Not even close. Same can be said here the Giant win put our playoff hopes on life support and gave our coaches credibility a hit. They will own this town until the Jets win a championship and even then it may take more than that. The Giants would need to be bad for several years, the jets would need to win a championship and be good in those years and then just maybe we can say the town is ours.

4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Who cares? It's one game. I didn't know that one regular season game shows who owns the city.

Of all the NY vs. NY sports things, the Jets and Giants are closest. The Jets probably have more younger fans, while the probably Giants have more older fans. Although overall, the Giants have a bit more.

As said earlier in the thread, the media and casual fans will probably follow the team that's doing better.

5. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

The slim chance of the Jets making the playoffs and the Giants losing to Dallas would make for a comical offseason and sports radio....that would be fantastic, considering how bad the organization is getting roasted.

6. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

For this week its the giants own NY. Let them pound their chests, gloat, and do what they want. To the victor go the spoils.

All of it will mean nothing if they choke against the cowboys and the jets sneak into the playoffs.

If that scenario happens that means the jets would have three straight years of being in the playoffs, something this franchise has never done before. It would also mean the giants choked AGAIN.

On the flip side if the giants win and the Jets lose then I think it really makes the win for the giants even bigger since it was a momentum swinger.

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I think you and many many others in the media and on this board are blowing this game between two 8-7 teams way way out of proportion. Unless the Giants go on another miracle run, come the opening of camp in July, or even the start of free agency after the SB, this game will mean nothing.

No Jets fan is going to abandon the team for the Giants because of this loss and no on the fence fans are going to run to the Giants now. And if they do, as a Jets fan I could care less. This is a big metro area and it can support two teams just fine. At the end of the day, all I care about is my team. This entire season showed many flaws. I'm more interested in fixing them and improving this team then some illusionary title of "owning New York." In other words, who gives a rat's ass about all this crap about owning the town?

The Giants folds in 09 and 10 and the Jets playoff runs stuck in Giants fans and the NY media's craw and they whined and moaned and created this "battle for NY supremacy" which Ryan fueled with his proclamations. In reality, this was one game that will mean very little going forward.

I don't need to own NY as a Jets fan. I just want my team to have a better season next year. In truth, I find the Giants annoying only from the standpoint of not caring to hear about them on local sports shows and in the paper. I wish NY was a one team town and the Jets didn't have to share a spotlight. However, it is what it is.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I agree wholeheartedly that this "who owns NY" thing is a media creation and for the most part, it did excite and ignite the two fanbases. As I don't live within the TriState anymore, I don't live with it the way you folks have to although I do have relatives who are Giant fans. There are people out there who indeed need to feel superior. To those folks, this game was NY's version of the SB and the media did a heckuva job hyping this game up almost as much as Rex did. Notice I keep bringing Rex into the conversation..

I also agree that as a Jet Fan, I really want to see improvement in the Jets and couldn't give a shit about the Giants one way or the other. I'd like to see alot of things around our team change the most important of which is having the intestinal fortitude not to fold in the spotlight as this team seems to do all too often.

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

People forget that NY used to be a National League baseball town (with two teams through the 50s) and that in the late 1980's with the Mets having success while the Yankees were a circus and a joke (Martin hired, Martin fired, Steinbrenner ranting and trading all the young talent), the Mets owned the town (as hard as that is to believe). The one constant is that things change. One game. That is all this was. It won't carry past next week let alone the next four years.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You know, after all of the whining, I was pretty disappointed in this game from both sides. The preseason game had hitting the likes of which you would not normally see until the playoffs. I was so pumped all last week for this matchup.

This game, well, neither team seemed that willing to kick each others' teeth in, and both seemed willing to throw the game away to the other. What a letdown.

Instead of 'Which team owns NY?', maybe it should be 'Which NY team sucks less?'

Bragging rights are bragging rights, but if the Giants own NY, they got it in a fire sale.

11. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

This is a great line

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly. Who wouldn't want to see the Jets and Giants in a SB. Two elite teams, playing for he VL along with the keys to the city they both play in. Instead we get the mediocrity bowl which sets up the victor with a chance into backing into a playoff system designed to allow almost every NFL franchise a meaningful game in late december.

13. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

As someone who doesn't live in the area any more - who cares who "owns the city" as if who is best between two mediocre teams matters. Not that I think it affected their play, but I just wish Rex said something along the lines of: "Quite frankly, the only thing that matters to me this week is the Jets winning because it gets us closer to the playoffs. Whose the best team in NY isn't important right now. I'll let you writers determine that if that's what you want. What's really at stake is the Jets putting ourselves in the best position to go to the post-season and we can only do that by being ready to play an entire 60 minutes. And it really doesn't matter what I say now or how I feel, the players have to perform and do their jobs."

I don't want the Jets to be the "talk of the sports world" because of what the coach says. I want the Jets to be relevant because they are consistent winners. While Rex has done a good job getting the Jets to a positive state, he needs to take the next step forward (as many others have said) and get past the talk and take charge of the entire team.

14. tesla verde

tesla verde Banned

We should have been eliminated by October, it was obvious this team wasn't going anywhere