Tannenbaum's under the radar major mistakes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Dec 25, 2011.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yes, one play defines an entire season. Cool story, bro...tell it again.

2. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Way off base here Marky. Santonio Holmes in nothing short of a huge bust of a FA signing. Think about it this way. There are 58, WRs/TEs/or RBs who have been more productive than Holmes. The Pats alone have 4 receivers with better production. It is rare that ANY high priced FA plays to the value of is "market" contract, but there are SEVERAL RBs and TE's who have better production than Holmes....and are playing for a LOT less.

I bet that Welker when he signs his new contract with the Pats this off season will get less than Holmes did, and HE'S the most productive WR in the league....not the 59th. :rolleyes:

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think the mistake would be then to give a WR that contract more so than it being Holmes getting that contract. With our QB and OC we should have focused more on the O line than wide receivers. The Pats have 4 WR with more production because of Brady.

The mistake in my eyes was trying to become a pass first team when we clearly were not. The bust is signing a high priced WR more so than signing Tone.

4. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to get flamed for this big time but why not trade Revis? We can probably get a bunch of high draft picks which would considerably help the team and I really like that Morris Claiborne kid out of LSU. 3 1st rounders for Revis sounds good to me. Besides we all know hes going to hold out this offseason anyway. I love Revis though but if we can get a bunch of high draft picks it can benefit this team greatly.

5. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I'm not going "flame" you, but there is no way in hell Revis is worth three number 1's. Great corner...the best...but not happening.

So you would trade the best corner in the game for rookie?

That's just crazy talk.

6. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Hell no I wouldn't trade him for a rookie, I'd trade him for at least a COUPLE first rounders or I wouldn't trade him at all. Hes one of my favorite players but if we can get at least 2 first rounders for him why not. Id use those picks on some pass rushers because thats whats stopping this defense from being unstoppable IMO. We just can not get to the QB like we could in 2009. Either way like you said its not going to happen but who knows.

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

This is something that I don't agree with... RT don't exactly grow on trees. While I'm 100% certain we can upgrade the blocking TE department it won't be as easy to do the same at RT.

8. King Richard the 1st

Holmes has not had a good year but the offense as a whole has not had a good year. I wouldn't be jumping to label Holmes a bust. He looked very good a year ago when he had a better wide out (Edwards) lining up opposite him as opposed to Plax who is a weak number 2/strong 3rd wideout. It's been a bad year compared to expectations but how many babies do people want to through out with the bath water?

9. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

One year doesn't make a 'bust' considering he is a well accomplished receiver. It's hard to get the ball when your QB completes less than 56% of his passes. It's also an unfair comparison with the Pats since they have a tremendous off system (better QB, line, receivers) and Brady throws the ball 35+ times a game. Holmes still has 8 touchdowns on the season. His yardage is disappointing, but I can't put it all on him.

Plus Tanny gave him a very cap friendly contract.

"General manager Mike Tannenbaum, known for his creativity, structured an extremely cap-friendly deal for the team. Holmes will count only $2.45 million against the 2011 salary cap, according to a source. The playmakng wideout will have a $1 million base salary."

If he has the same year next year that he did this year then I would get a little worried. Until then its still too early to tell.

10. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

Tannenbaum will use the shortened off-season as an excuse and buy himself another year or two.

11. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Your points are well taken Marky, its not all on Holmes for his poor production. But the thread is about Tanny's mistakes, and paying a WR top 10 money if you know you aren't going to get top 10 production is a mistake, regardless of what the reasons are for the lack of production.

BTW- That contract with Holmes WAS cap friendly, but only cap friendly for THIS year. As time goes on the cap costs will start to exceed the actual money given out. Saving money today can only mean that it will cost you mmore later on.

First rule of capology - Every dollar you give to one player is one less dollar for everyone else.

Second rule of capology- Every dollar you save in cap costs because you manipulated the structure of the deal, will eventually have to be paid back down the road.

Third rule of capology - you don'ttalk about capology :wink:

#51 patfanken, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  12. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, just like Parcells had that back up QB in 1999 when the Jets were SB bound, right????

13. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

oh man, he had one shitty play. cut him.

aaron rodgers didn't play well enough to beat the chiefs. cut him!

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Winner winner, chicken dinner right there

15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Time hs come for Tanny to get a back up QB who can actually play
    If Brunell is so important,
    fire Schotty, promote Cavanaugh and make Brunell QB coach