Assuming that Sanchez sticks around...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetsown22, Dec 25, 2011.

1. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Sanchez is awful, but you still need to rebuild his supporting cast. Unless Manning comes here, he will either be the starting qb for another year after beating out no competition (worst case scenario), starting qb after beating out some competition, or will not be the starting qb after losing his job to someone like Flynn (2nd best scenario). Regardless, whoever the qb is, he is going to need good wr's (Plax is too old, Keller sucks, and this team still needs a 2nd TE), and a RT. So, you have to rebuild that portion of the offense.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Thankyou....... everyone should read this post. TWICE.

Teams that are strong in the trenches will ALWAYS be competitive. Like I stated awhile ago, I would be happy to see the JETS draft TWO O-linemen early this year... and lets hope last year's guys pan out.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Whether people like it or not Sanchez will be the Jets starting QB, I'm no Sanchez homer but you have to cut the guy some slack. He has improved at times but the lack of an offensive line has really limited his progression. I also think it's pretty clear that he is being forced to play into one man's system instead of that system being built around his strengths. He is very good at selling the play action as well as extremely good on rollouts (assuming the WR's are open). He's also much more mobile then anybody notices. I think he has 6 rushing TD's this year and when he has the option he can make plays or keep them alive with his feet.

Is Sanchez part of the problem? Absolutely but he's not the lone culprit. We never stretch the field with the WR's, I think the only pass he threw of the 59 that went downfield was the overthrow to McKnight who came out of the backfield. Oh and the TD pass to Plax that was called back on the offensive PI. Everything was a short throw, I think at one point he had 21 completions and he didn't even have 200 yards? We don't have WR's that can get open. How many times did they show Holmes, Keller or Kerley being covered by 2 Giant defenders? Sanchez is at fault in a few areas, he still makes stupid throws, he can't hit guys in stride and the big one is he plays scared at times. It's really a shame that we didn't the same OL from his rookie year because I think we would have seen him take a major step forward this year. It's just one man's opinion but the whole unit including Mangold and Brick have player poorly at times. Brick getting owned by Andre Carter was pretty dam bad.

This team is in need of major changes in many areas but I don't think QB is one of them, do I think and hope we bring in somebody who can actually give Sanchez a run and hopefully force him to improve? Absolutely but I don't think you'll see the Jets make a move for Manning or draft a guy high. Maybe a guy like Flynn but I think teams will get the Kevin Kolb syndrome with him and overpay for a few glimpses of what they saw. The biggest reason why the Jets lost on Saturday and most of the season is the other team has a guy on both sides of the ball and the Jets have none. Revis is the best CB in the game but his chances to make big plays are limited, we don't have an elite pass rusher, an elite game changing WR or RB.

4. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

to the op, how i wish it were true. actually, if Sanchez had Flacco's height, i think he'd have a shot at being an elite QB.
    Field vision is fucking huge, and Brady has it, Manning has it, Flacco has it.

5. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

His contract is up at the end of this year. He had a 1 million dollar contract that could have been worth 3.5 mil if he made some crazy incentives which he's not even close to. I don't think anyone will be willing to give him 3 million per year after this season unless it's all incentives like the 49ers signed him to.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/05/braylon-edwards-got-no-guaranteed-money/

Some of the details are in on Braylon Edwards‘ contract with the 49ers, including how much guaranteed money he received: Zero.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com reports that Edwards has a $1 million base salary, and no guaranteed money. The reported $3.5 million salary for 2011 is what Edwards will earn only if he reaches all his incentives, including catching 90 passes and making the Pro Bowl.

The fact that Edwards gets no guaranteed money is huge: It means that if Edwards reveals himself to be more of a pain in the neck than he’s worth at any point during training camp or the preseason, the 49ers can cut him without having paid him anything. Edwards is a vested veteran, so his $1 million base salary will be guaranteed if he’s on the 49ers’ roster for Week One.

Edwards’ contract is nowhere near as good as the one-year, $3.017 million deal Plaxico Burress got from the Jets, so it’s clear that the Jets view Burress — despite the fact that he’s been in prison the last two years — as an upgrade over Edwards.

If Edwards is smart, he’ll take the lack of interest in him from around the NFL as a wakeup call. Edwards is one of the most talented wide receivers in football, and the fact that he had to settle for a contract with no guaranteed money shows that for NFL teams, the trouble Edwards brings with him outweighs the talent.

Edwards becomes a free agent again in seven months. If the 49ers are lucky, he’ll be on his best behavior and motivated to earn a much more lucrative contract in 2012.

#85 Organized Chaos, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  6. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

i actually wouldn't be all too surprised if a team goes after him hard looking at what he did for the jets the 2 seasons he was here.

in the right system he was effective and a down the field threat in that he was good at out jumping and muscling corners for the ball.

i would have rather the jets kept him once his $ demands were forced downward last year. for what he did with sanchez and the jets, he was worth 3 million a year, easy.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes sign a RT, get an OC, and let Sanchez flourish

8. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I'd say we should look to get a legit #1 Receiver and throw Santonio in the slot where I really think he would destroy with his skill set. A new system is also a must meaning the OC has to go. We have to address the glaring problems on offense this off season because we have the best defensive minds in football IMO so if we can build a great Offense this team can seriously contend for the superbowl for years to come. Santonio thrived big time last year with Braylon as our #1 because he had the skillset a #1 receiver should have(Speed/length/good hands) and Santonio is a great compliment to that. Kareem McKenzie IMO is all we need for the O-line and have wayne hunter as the backup/6th man on runs. Maybe have Robert Turner battle it out with Moore for the starting job also.

9. sg3

sg3 Banned

not even close to true

enjoy the Brian Hoyer era, btw when 35 year old Gramps the Queer shows up washed up in about one more season

10. OverloadBlitz

Lol I'd take Sanchez over Flacco any day. Flacco has better weapons and an outstanding offensive line and hes played PUTRID this season. 19 TD's 12 picks 8 Fumbles AND he has Ray rice. Flacco is a bonafide Scrub who hasn't proven himself in the postseason where at least Sanchez has. This is no argument, at this point in time I'd take Sanchez over Flacco.

11. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

Our run game is good and has been good ever since Curtis Martin, and that translates to a good oline. Even after a horrendous start Shonn Green is 1 yard short of 1000 while avging 4.2 yards and that translates into the oline doing its job.

12. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

Flacco also was not drafted 5th overall, id say Sanchez has to prove himself before Flacco as Flacco never had high expectations. You think Sanchez has proven himself? Both suck and shouldn't be in the Nfl and still only have jobs because of a solid ground game and defense.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Have you people ever seen a Ravens game???? Flacco is terrible. Oh yeah, so is freeman for those of you are still convinced that he is better than Sanchez

14. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

Most alarming Sanchez stat

55% completion rate(29th in the league) while having one of the lowest ypc avg in the league. You can't blame Shotty for such a low completion %. Brett Favre had 65.7% while having a higher ypc avg under the same Shotty while probally playing injured. If Sanchez is so innacurate on short routes imagine if he got to throw the ball long more often? And its been consistently the same the past 3 years with 3 different receiving cores and a oline who was much better the last 2 years then it is this year.

#94 jetsown22, Dec 26, 2011
  15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I blame Rex most.

for a self proclaimed defensive genius and offensive ignoramus your defense better be stellar and it wasn't.

if you admit you know shit about offense than you better have someone there who does. clearly schottenheimer was not fit to run an offense alone.

consequently, the mediocre offense couldn't rely on the rushing attack to control time of possession, like in previous years, which gassed out the mediocre defense.

17. OverloadBlitz

I saw some really good deep throws to Braylon last year, we just don't have the personnel this season to be heaving the ball down the field this time around but I do agree he needs to step into those short throws more and not throw them so high. You have to be kidding me comparing Brett Favre to 3 year Sanchez. Brett Favre seen it all by the time he came to the Jets Sanchez is still wet behind the ears with not enough college playing time. It would have benefited Sanchez greatly to sit on the bench his first 2 seasons or so but he did pretty decent being throw right into action.

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Also, Favre did not run Schottys offense according to reports.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Could you tell me where you found the ypc stat? If you actually are looking at YPC and not YPA, which would obviously go way down with a lower completion percentage based on simple math, I'd bet you that he had a MUCH higher YPC last season. That wouldn't match up with your "consistently the same the past 3 years" statement.

20. jetsown22

jetsown22 New Member

Sorry meant ypa

and its here

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt

and what do you know hes 29th in that department to. But then again hes having a great season and shown a improvement right. Hell Chris Ponder has a better ypa then him and Rex Grossman is over 7 lol. Sorry I take back my statements Mark Sanchez is not a average Qb he is the worst Qb in the league atleast according to stats.

#100 jetsown22, Dec 26, 2011