Jets reportedly unsure if franchise QB is on their roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mute, Dec 25, 2011.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

If the New York Jets and Mark Sanchez do in fact part ways sometime in the near future, people could be able to point toward his ill-advised retreat into his own end zone Saturday evening -- and another untimely fourth-quarter giveaway -- as the beginning of the end of his tenure as quarterback of the Jets.

With his team desperately needing a victory in order to stay alive in the AFC wild-card chase, Sanchez laid an egg in a 29-14 loss loss to the New York Giants. The third-year pro completed 30 of 59 passes for 258 yards with one touchdown to two interceptions. He also took five sacks -- one of which resulted in a safety with the Jets trailing by six in the fourth-quarter.

Sanchez's poor play, as well as his overall up-and-down performance this season, now has the Jets seriously considering whether or not they have their franchise quarterback on their roster.

A league source told ProFootballTalk.com on Sunday that the Jets are beginning to realize that Sanchez, whom the team drafted with its first-round pick in 2009, might not be their guy.

Jets coach Rex Ryan has been very outspoken in his support for his beleaguered quarterback this season, but PFT reported that team would not publically acknowledge even a hint of a change in tune in regard to Sanchez.

Sanchez has two years remaining on his his rookie contract next season -- he will earn a base salary of $8.5 million next year, according to PFT.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...dly-unsure-if-franchise-qb-is-on-their-roster

2. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I want him to get a chance with a good OC, then we can see.

Fire Schotty

3. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

I've said it all along. We cannot win with Sanchez. Just look at his numbers from yesterday. TERRIBLE. Look at his decision making, TERRIBLE. How the heck do you pull a Tony Romo and fumble at the 1 when we are just getting life back? Then he takes that ridiculous sack in the end zone.

I am sorry, but all you JETS fans need to wake up. I love the team just as much as the next person, but you have to admit your faults and wrongs sooner than later. This is a now league. Keeping Sanchez around and not going anywhere puts us back another 10 years. And all you people who want to brag about 2 AFCCG, guess what? NO ONE BUT YOU GIVES A SHIT OR REMEMBERS THAT.

Get rid of Sanchez, get rid of Schottenheimer. We will not have these core group of players who are playing at a high level forever.

4. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Who is the possible source for this... Brian Schottenheimer?

5. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

how much time do you give him with a new OC?

What do we do if he still sucks in the first year with a new OC, make more excuses saying its his first year, give him time to learn the system...

At a certain point in time we need to move on, look at guys like Moore late in the draft or even Griffin early in the draft...

6. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Jesus christ, not all quarterbacks fully develop in year 3, just look at Eli, brees and roethlisberger

he's not fucking Peyton Manning, you guys need to chill the fuck out

7. mute

mute Well-Known Member

he didnt fumble at the one. Mangold bounced the ball off his leg. And lets get real here. If he throws it away its looks to be a safety anyway. He needed to hang as long as he could to make a play happen.

#7 mute, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

exactly. SO many people have become impatient in sports, its crazy. People, mostly the Sanchez haters, fail to mention the terrible oline we have had this year. Or the lazy, cant wake up, cant break free, still doesnt know the routes in week 16 wide receivers. For what has happened this year, Sanchez has done a lot. To run him out of time now, to call for his head is ridiculous.

9. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Ya I was looking at the numbers yesterday, its remarkable how similar the beginning of his career has been to Elis. Both essentially were below avg to average at best until year 4 of their pro careers. Hoping Mark takes that leap forward next season.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hey look, there's no issue here. The Jets can just give Sanchez his walking papers, keep Schotty, and continue to misfire on offense while we look for a franchise QB.

It won't take more than another QB or two and maybe 3-4 seasons for even the blind to recognize that a fish rots at the head. Eventually the smell overwhelms even the poorest vision.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Stop confusing the issue with facts.

12. Bill Belichdouche

And bad quarterbacks don't pass for 24 touchdowns and rush for 6, especially with all the shit he has to deal with

heaven knows how much better he'd be if we maybe had a good offensive line, or at least one WR who has the ability to break free, or maybe a competent offensive coordinator!!!! That'd be nice!!!!

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. Schotty's play-calling, the lack of a true difference maker at RB, a guy with no situational awereness in Keller and 2 lazy WRs are really hurting the Sanchize.

That said NFL.com refers to an article written by MIKE FLORIO! Now if there's one thing we should all know is to not listen to that whiny vagina...

#13 Mambo9, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  14. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

Maybe give him a chance with a new OC, but don't be surprised if a top QB is drafted next April. I think someone is going to be breathing down Sanchez's neck for his job. Maybe the Jets will consider that motivation. I don't put all the fault on Sanchez, but the Jets want to spark the team.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is what the Chargers did with Brees. They got pissed off and drafted Rivers and let the guy capable of winning a Super Bowl walk on them.

16. Bill Belichdouche

Oh yes, that would be poetic justice considering that whole situation was the fault of a schottenheimer.

17. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Sanchez still has huge glaring flaws, like his lack of good decision making, not seeing the open man, his new addiction to checking down, completion percentage, etc.

Honestly I don't think they're going to give up on him, but I do think there will be a QB competition next year and I do think he might get beaten out by McElroy who seems to me to be a true student of the game. He's not as physically talented as Sanchez, but I think his football IQ might make him a better fit.

18. mute

mute Well-Known Member

wouldnt surprise me if it was.

19. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Took the Giants what, 8 years before they didnt want to cut Eli ?

And shit he still doesnt know how to slide with the ball.

20. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

Schotty needs to go! Get someone who can actually call an offense. Would be nice if turner gets the boot in SD and comes here to call plays. If after getting a good OC in here Sanchez struggles it's time to move on.