Jets Playoff Chances

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Nov 23, 2011.

?

Do the Jets Make the Playoffs?

1. Yes

199 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No

215 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Despite my position that the focus should be on one game at a time, there are some things going on, or that seem to be going on, that might well fit with a solid run here on out. Those are:

OL. This is not a flawless unit, but Mangold seems totally healthy and having a Pro Bowl level of performance, Slauson is materially better than last year, and early season problems for Moore seem stabilized (although he's banged up, too). Ferguson has NOT been having a Pro Bowl year, but he seems to be improved. And Hunter has gone from a candidate to be cut to somewhere approaching average, which is a huge improvement. The starters also seem to be getting help from VD and Mulligan on running plays.

Greene. Wow, no one has turned it on more than Greene the last three games. I am thrilled. He's even catching the ball. Keep it up, and don't fumble.

Linebackers. Pace continues to have a very good season, but more recently we see Scott in on more plays, and making a good contribution.

The DL rotation. THis unit did well with DeVito hurting and out, and with him back, they should do even better. Pouha is having a great season.

Sanchez. I really cross my fingers on this guy. Just play your role, and avoid turnovers, and the confidence level will continue to improve.

Overall the team seems to have gotten in synch against the last three less than awesome opponents, but that does not mean the Jets will not continue to improve against better opponents. Whether they will or not, we will see the next test against Philly.

One game at a time.

2. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Good post ... and one more thing -
    There were plenty of "Plax is old and slow" posts on here earlier in the year.
    He's been a big asset as the season rolls on and a MAJOR reason why the Jets are #1 in the NFL in Red Zone TD Efficiency.

3. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I do worry that a lot of the "Improvements" from the O has been facing the competition we faced these last 3 weeks. We did have a healthy Mangold against NE and Den and the O played like crap. Hopefully the confidence is high and we can keep it rolling these next 3 weeks.

Truthb...... Plax is old and slow. :) He has helped a lot in the redzone but I would like to see more production in other parts of the field. He only has 3 catches for 33 yards the last 2 games when our offense exploded. We are going to need more from him when we face tougher teams.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

All 33 of those yeards were in Washington. Holems had 2 for 12 last week. Hell even Keller only had 34.

Our offense is exploding with scored, not yards. Defense and sepcial teams have set them up nicely on a few of the TD's and the running game is clicking. The better we run, the less we pass and thats ok.

Mark has thrown for 346 yards in his last two games. No receiver has had a huge day, nor could they. if teams are shifting coverage to plax in the rex zone then holmes and Keller are going to get better matchups and more looks, again ok. He's doing exactly what he was paid for.

5. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I think Greene and Sanchez have both improved as the O line has. Not just because they are getting blocking but they look a lot more confident. Its tough to play when you feel like you are going to get blown up before you have a chance to make a play.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Exactly. Its amazing how bad poor Oline play can make a RB look bad. Greene is a bull but if you catch him in the backfeild before he has momentum you win. Any QB is better when they are not gettign tossed to the ground every other passing attempt.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

There's no doubt the ups and downs of the O have been about the OL. It's amazing how playcalls look better when the OL is eprformaing, how much better the run game looks and how much better the QB looks. It's all about the OL.

8. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Pretty much what I was afraid of........

I really held back from saying this team ####s ####ing ###!!!!!!

Now, I'll unleash.... This entire season has been brutally Blah. And really when it's all said and done we're going to be left with very little "Highlights"....

So many down years and at the end of the year we are still left with Video Highlights...

This year............... Sheesh....

8-8?

9. Mossachusetts

Mossachusetts Banned

You're kidding, right lol?

10. 3xNFLChampion

3xNFLChampion Banned

Not sure it's possible at this point, pats should get a bye and the Jets are definitely on life suport.:beer:

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There have been so few positive developments this season. That's what's so depressing. Mo Wilkerson has not sucked. Kyle Wilson has turned into a decent nickelback. That's about it on the defensive side of the ball.

On offense Mark Sanchez has not collapsed under the weight of lousy pass protection and random wide receiver acquisition. Shonn Greene actually got banged up this season and stayed on the field. Jeremy Kerley looks like he might be a keeper. That's about as far as we go on the offensive side.

All of the other fresh positives for the Jets have been associated with mid to late career players unlikely to be with the team in two seasons. Many of the solid players on the Jets are beginning to show their age.

In 2009 I thought maybe the Jets were on the verge of becoming a top rate team. They really just needed to work out the young QB issues.

Now they look old and stale and even though the young QB issues have receded some the rest of the team has regressed enough that it doesn't matter much.

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

So long as whomever we play in the playoffs does not have any formations that include a tight end we will be fine.

13. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

I'm just glad I didn't take part in these ####N Reindeer games trying to figure out who controls ####n destinty and talking about playoffs...

PLAYOFFS.........................LOL

Some of you are Out of Your Minds with this ####.

To me, it's always about what you see on the field... I've seen and enjoyed teams out of the playoffs that at least played their hearts out and played GOOD FOOTBALL that I enjoyed more than this ####.....

GOOD FOOTBALL....

Honestly I haven't seen it all year. SD Game? Maybe? Jax?

To me, this is as bad as many of the #### the bed years - Starting with the Dallas game - Really??? Bad football.

This team is actually worse than it's record.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Yet they still control their own destiny. This is a league where teams look great one week and terrible the next, it's hard to predict. I just want to win this week and next week then we'll see what happens if we make the playoffs. We werent' expected to make a run in either of the last 2 postseasons so it's far from over though if they play like they did yesterday it is over.

15. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

huh? The Jets are the second wildcard, they are in the playoffs today. If they win against the Giants & Dolphins they are guaranteed a spot. Even if they lose one of those two, they still have an outside chance. There is plenty of time to get it together and make a run. O yee SOJF of little faith

#235 GordonGecko, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well, yesterday was a serious setback, and how much of one we will know in the next two weeks. Optimism about development of the OL has, in one short week, been replaced with a more realistic pessimism. But that's not all.

Doesn't it seem like the KC game never happened? The list of plusses in that game was so long, it was far easier to talk about the brief list of negatives. Just the opposite today. I thought Pace had a decent game. Cro had some nice run backs, and didn't get burned on the outside. And Mangold didn't get run over, even if everyone else did. Folk made two FG's. That's about it.

What is consistent about this team is that it is inconsistent. As noted on another thread, whenever the Jets are in a position to show they are above average, that they might well be a real threat, they fold. At the halfway point they were 5-3, and in a position to put those awful three early losses permanently in the rear view mirror.

Since then, heading into the playoffs, they have gone .500.

Consistently inconsistent.

17. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Why does everyone consistently overlook the sound performance of our long snapper?

18. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Again. I have to say my Psyche was well prepared for all this.

I did think they would go 9-7 though and even that isn't looking good.

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Any predictions for Sunday? I'll start..

Jets win vs MIA
    Ravens beat Cincy
    Tebow beats Chiefs
    Chargers beat Raiders

everything sets up nicely for us until...

Titans beat Texans

I just can't see the Texans winning this game, even if they're home. Played pretty bad the last few weeks offensively, and with nothing to play for, idk if they'll show up.

20. mute

mute Well-Known Member

right now, no and thats probably a good thing for this team because big changes will be made this offseason because we failed to enter the playoffs.