Jets Playoff Chances

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Nov 23, 2011.

?

Do the Jets Make the Playoffs?

1. Yes

199 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No

215 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

For God's sake folks, no one is confusing mathematical odds with strength of schedule. But my point still remains the same:
    1) we always had to run the table to have. a chance. And the fact that now the game got tougher with the Giants and the Eagles is nonsensical. The Giants hate our guts and Rex in particular, and they would have played all out against us.
    2) The odds have improved considerably BECAUSE WE OWN OUR DESTINY. We win we go to the Playoffs AND NO ONE can take that away from us. If we don't we don't deserve to go anyway.
    3) If controlling our destiny does not improve our chances I don't know what the hell does.
    4) if you want to be a contender you have to beat the Giants and the Eagles, but sure is
    nice to know that if you do you are on your way to the playoffs
    I frankly don't buy the theory that things got tougher last week, instead I think we got the gift of a lifetime from the AFC. Now let's take the gift and make a run for it or shut
    up and accept we were not good enough to make it anyhow.

2. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

If the jets make to the playoffs we are obviously going to the superbowl
    Its just logical

2009: we beat the colts in week 16 and lost to them in the afc championship

2010: Same thing, we beat the steelers in week 15 and lost to them in afc championship

2011: In this year's regular season we did not and will not beat any team that can possibly be a threat in the afc championship, we lost to the raiders, broncos, patriots and ravens.

So by pure logic we can deduce that if the jets make the playoffs, we're going all the way baby

lol

\o/

3. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Boomer was talking today about what I was saying Monday... The Eagles present HUGE matchup problems for the Jets without Leonhard.

People want to present the Eagles record as proof for something but, bottom line is Vick and Jackson are back and had last week to work out the kinks... This is still the team that had potential to Dream....

Often it's more about When you play a team and frankly I wish we played the Eagles any other time than now.

I hope I'm wrong but, Yes nyjunc, I see the Eagles and the Giants games as tough as playing GB and NO right now.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

These games won't be easy but thee games aren't hard either. It's nothing like playing GB/NO. We may not win but as long as we play like we are capable of we should win.

5. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

I'm with Bart Scott.....

You lose to Philly and you can take that whole "Control blah blah blah" and shove it up your ###......

This team has a lot to prove and a long way to go.

But, 1 week at a time... Beat Philly and I'll be in the spot that many of you are this week confidence wise.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yep, one game at a time.

7. nyjunc

Don't confuse my confidence w/ guaranteeing a playoff spot. This team has the ability to turn in a clunker at any time but I don't see a sched that is that difficult. IF this team plays like we know they can they should win all 3 and at a minimum 2 of 3 which I think will be enough.

8. sg3

sg3 Banned

yes, absolutely yes

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's nice to be in a situation where the Jets have a legitimate chance. It still takes 3 in a row or some help to get in though. The Jets have been in too many situations like this and come up flat at the end of the season for me to get excited.

It's been nice watching a semblance of a balanced team the last 3 weeks though.

10. nyjunc

it hasn't happened often in the last 20 years.

'93, '97, '00, '08

That's not bad over that amount of time.

11. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

They got insanely lucky in 04 and 09.

2004 the Steelers backups beat up the Bills as we lost to an average Rams team. And obviously everyone remembers 2009.

12. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

c'mon, the combined record of the last 3 opponents is 16-23 as of right now, if we can;t run the table or win at least two of those, then they don't deserve it. I think they will get the job done, the culture has changed around here the last 2 years just in case you haven't noticed. We'll eliminate the clunker games that we fucked up like Denver, and they will win these games. YES I THINK THE JETS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR.

13. nyjunc

How so? b/c they won the games they needed to win to get in? was it lucky to lose Chad for 3 games in '04? then having him finihs the year w/ a torn rotator cuff? we got a break w/ a qtr and a half of Colt backups but it was a 5 pt game when they took those guys out and teams ahead of us w/ chances to win lost.

In each insatnce we won the games we needed to win.

In '04 the team knew Buf had lost when the Ram game went to OT and SL was playing for a playoff spot that day by the way.

If we got lucky then can we see we were unlucky choking away playoff spots in '93, '97, '00 & '08?

14. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Any time you need other teams to lose to secure a playoff spot luck is involved. The only time in my lifetime this wasnt the case was last year and 1998.

The 2004 team was embarrassing down the stretch. 2002 should be included as well with the disaster Chicago game. And 2001 as well with the embarrassing home loss to the Bills. 2009 was the Atlanta game with what 4 missed field goals? This is luck. But in any event, most WC teams receive some luck.

15. nyjunc

No luck, we won the games we had to win. In 1986 we started 10-1 and lost our last 5 but we still earned a playoff spot. It doesn't matter when you get the wins as long as you have enough.

I think embarrassing is a bit strong, we lost a tough game at 15-1 Pitt, then crushed playoff bound Seattle, then got crushed by the eventual champs then lost in OT to a playoff team.

In 2009 NO had an embarrassing home loss to TB, pretty much every team ahs some bad losses. In 1998 we lost to 3-13 Indy and 4-12 SL, in 1968 one of our losses was to a Buffalo team that won 1 game the entire year.

16. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

I know what you're saying, but I agree with his initial premise that it would be nice occasionally to clinch a spot earlier than Week 17 without needing other teams to lose. The Jets always manage to make things interesting.

17. nyjunc

I wish we had a spot clinched already but most spots aren't clinched until week 16 or 17.

18. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

Mathematically that is true but teams like NE, Bal, Pitt have in reality clinched their spot. Great teams do that. We had a shot a few weeks ago to take control, but we blew it and then dropped another game that could have kept it interesting.

19. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

In '09 they also lost some games they shouldn't have and had some serious bad luck. I call it a wash and well deserved playoff appearance

#219 GordonGecko, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  20. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Yup. 5 of our 7 losses that year we lost in the last minute of the game. That's brutal.