Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

LOL! The Jets were down because of the D. They didn't come from behind against one of the better defenses in the league on their home field, and that's Schotty's fault.

Do you really believe this nonsense or are you just saying it for effect?

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Untrue. I've been here off and on to give him Credit since Preseason.

Tell us where that magical screen game was previous to last week.

3. Mason

Mason New Member

So true. The dude kept us out of the Super Bowl last season with his incompetence. That sequence of play calls should have gotten him fired on the spot. Pittsburgh didn't score a single point in the 2nd half. Our defense was great after half time. All we had to do was give them an opportunity to make a full stop(not just prevent a 1st down or two). Had we given them 7:44 seconds to make a stop, I believe we would have went down and tied the game at 24-24. But instead, we turn the ball over on downs because of the stupid play calling.

Now it's no guarantee that we would have won the game, but I fully believe we would have tied it with the way we were running roughshod over their defense and offense in the 2nd half. Schotty didn't give our team a chance. He could have just ran Greene 3 more times and we probably would have gotten in. The passes were stupid because they were clear passes, and the run was stupid because it was a clear run, and with the wrong running back to boot. The pass was out of a Singleback - 3 receiver set, and the run was out of full on Goaline - no receiver set. If the Steelers did their homework, it was hilariously obvious what we were going to do.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets scored 16 points in the second half and allowed zero. One of the reasons they didn't score 21 and tie the game is that the offense which was moving fine up to that point in the second half just couldn't punch the ball over in 4 tries from the 2 yard line.

The FG option wasn't there because at 24-10 at that point a FG still left the Jets down 2 scores. There was 8:35 left on the game clock when the Jets got to the 2 yard line with a 1st down. 4 plays later they turned it over to the Steelers with 7:44 on the clock.

Now it was pretty easy at the time to say this was Sanchez fault, even though Sanchez was 7 for 10 for 116 yards in the 2nd half at that point and had already lead one scoring drive and had the Jets on the 2.

But now we have real evidence that the Jets and Sanchez are better, much better, using somebody else's schemes in the red zone. Looking back on the plays that were called on that crucial series it starts to look a lot more like Schotty, who has never been good in the red zone, was the one at fault.

People have argued that Plaxico Burress is the big difference this year, but Braylon Edwards was an excellent big target last year, the Jets just didn't utilize him in the red zone the way they're making use of Plaxico this season.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Braylon is tall, he's not near the physical WR that Plax is. we didn't execute near the GL- was that the OC's fault or the players? I don't know, I'm sure they all had a hand, the OL didn't give the RBs any room but can we give some credit to the defense? That's a pretty good, physical D that is tough to move the ball against in situations like that.

We lost b/c of the D not the O

6. Big Blocker

First of all you have NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER to claim that the red zone playcalling is solely to Moore's credit. As I and others have pointed out, Burress's contribution alone to the difference in red zone scoring has been quite significant. You just selectively choose what you think supports your Johnny One Note diatribe against Schotty and blatantly ignore contrary facts and circumstances.

As for the Pitt game, it was the D that put the team behind. If the score were 0-0 at halftime the Jets would have won. You are saying the loss to Pitt is SOLELY on Schotty's shoulders. Having to come back against Pitt's D on their homefield sure would have been nice, but it is crazy to lay the sole blame for that on Schotty.

7. Big Blocker

"off and on" Heh. Not so much off this week.

As you know the NFL's site does not differentiate screen passes from other short passes on its play by play listing. But there sure have been plenty of short pass attempts this year.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not of that variety. I go back and rewatch every game out of Realtime specifically to pay attention to all that garbage.

Two things we've not utilized at all, are an emphasis on screens, or running a guy out 5-7 yards deep, in front of the LB and directly in front of the QB.

The 'gimmes' that gain 4-7 yards a high percentage of the time.

The large majority of 'short passes' have been deep drops, then throwing outside, gaining 5 yards but taking 5 seconds to playout.

Been my complaint all the way along. Not enough snaps from the Shotgun, no utilization of the two pass plays above, and quick hitters inside.

Everyone seems to think we run a ton of quick slants. We don't and when we do, it's usually third and long, so the defenders just line up to keep the ball in front.

Generally the idea is to hit the pass while the defender has backward momentum, or flatfooted and take advantage of running by him.

Making Sanchez drop back 7, to run that is ....odd.

You spend more time defending the indefensible than the late Bill Kunstler... :wink:

9. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

How soon people forget. Schotty has sucked for YEARS now but because we beat a few bad teams, all of a sudden he's a good coordinator? Not to discredit our wins, but who exactly did we beat? So many people laugh at the Todd Haley idea because he got fired but he went to a Superbowl and won his division. The Chiefs lost as many major players as any team this year to injury. He didn't even make it through the season. Our team has had poor gameplans for the last 5 years, yet we can't even grow the balls to fire the Offensive Coordinator. I've never seen so much defense of a coordinator in my life. To me, if you have to talk about the coordinator this much, and it isn't ALL praise, then he must suck. It's like an offensive lineman. If you have to mention their name a lot, then they probably aren't any good.

10. nyjunc

Todd Haley went to a SB as a coordinator not a HC and he did so w/ Kurt Warner who he had for years- Brett Fave as good as he was wasn't Kurt Warner and we had him for a year.

11. Franchize

What's your point? I didn't say he was the head coach. He was the offensive coordinator of a team who went to the Superbowl primarily because of their offense. BTW, are you saying Kurt Warner is better than Brett Favre? Just curious.

12. Big Blocker

Well, I do defend Ryan for the way he runs his team, but that's because of his overall success. Unlike the know it alls here who think he doesn't know how to run the team. That would be the Schotty Haters.

13. Big Blocker

Haley had the best receiver trio of the last fifteen, maybe longer, years. And Warner had a great season that year. And they lost the SB, and only went 9-7 for the year. With that record in the AFC this year the Cards would not even have made the playoffs.

So?

14. nyjunc

Warner was MUCH better than Favre. Don't look at the compiled stats b/c Favre played forever, if you had to win a big game who would you choose?

15. Franchize

I was just ASKING if you thought Warner was better. I HATE Brett Favre with a burning passion.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Kurt Warner when healthy is as good as any QB in the HOF. I would take Warner healthy as my starting QB over Favre all day long.

17. nyjunc

Warner's overall #s aren't as good but he took two of the worst franchises in the sport to SB apps and won one w/ one of those teams. Give me Kurt any day over Favre.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Warner played in a dome in his great years. My guess is if you put Favre in that dome his whole career he probably throws 600 TD passes and if you put Warner in Green Bay in the winter he throws wobbling ducks.

I'll go look it up to see if Warner ever played in a winter game in Green Bay, however I think the contexts of their career were so different that you cannot compare them. Favre had his greatest season ever at the age of 40 as soon as he finally got to play in a dome.

19. nyjunc

did the weather affect his poor decision making? It's not about #s, Favre's #s are better but who would you trust in a big spot more? It's not even close.

By the way, in a dome in the div rd at SL in 2001 Favre threw 6 INTs.

Favre's possible greatest season ever ended the way his possible 2nd greatest season ended 2 years earlier in GB- w/ an INT to lose the title game.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

My guess is if you put Favre in a dome for his entire career his career is better statistically but much shorter. Favre's best year still cost his team big in a dome in the playoffs.

Warner when healthy simply ran an O about as perfect as any QB who ever played the game. Favre was an up and down QB who had 5 incredible years along with playing on some of the best teams in football for most of his career and has no more to show for it than Warner. Warner before his thumb injury was outstanding and when he got healthy again lead a fairly mediocre team back to the SB.

Playing in a dome is for sure better for your stats but it also comes with a price. Concrete and carpet are deadly to joints and feet.