Kraft & Pats Catch Break / NFL To Jets: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 13, 2011.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

So the Jets play the Pats, a tough division rival, on a Sunday night and then have to travel to Denver and play less than 96 hours later. Too bad, we are told.

Meanwhile, Bob Kraft -- Mr. NFL TV Contracts -- gets this week's NE-Denver (Brady vs. Tebow) game moved unflexed because he didn't want to play on Sunday night when they play on SATURDAY following that game !!!

Jets on Thursday after a Sunday nighter ? Too bad....

Patriots on Saturday after a Sunday nighter ? Hey, Giselle wants Tommy in bed early, so make it an afternoon game.

What BS.

2. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

That is some bs...kraft is in the illuminati of the NFL

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

where did you hear that?

4. grumpynyjetsfaninME

i thought it was only the 1pm games that they would flex.

5. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Well? Are we getting a link or something? The schedule doesn't show it was changed.

Fake news is bannable....

6. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

It wasn't changed. It should have been flexed because it wasn't protected, but it wasn't.

7. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

peter king did a whole story on this ... why the Balt/SD game wasn't moved, why the Jets couldn't be the game, why CBS wanted to keep the Denver/NE game on CBS

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Big fucking deal. I'm almost looking forward to a team with a remotely competent offense getting up by three scores on baby jesus to see if this is truly the season of miracles.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think it is sacreligious to expect God to involve himself in football games.

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/index/_/count/91

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The story behind the NFL's decision to keep the Dec. 18 Patriots-Broncos game on CBS at 4:15 p.m. ET is fascinating from this perspective.

I'm not sure how much interest there is from Patriots followers other than the bottom-line decision -- it was either 4:15 p.m. on CBS or 8:20 p.m. on NBC -- but for those who might share my line of thinking, here are some of the interesting points from here:

1. Robert Kraft's role in the process. Would the chairman of the NFL's Broadcasting Committee really use his influence to keep the game on CBS because it is what the Patriots prefer? This is what some are suggesting, pointing out that Kraft and CBS have a business relationship (the CBS Scene restaurant is at Patriot Place). That could be the case, but I look at things differently. Maybe I'm naive, but I believe if the networks were switched and the same factors were in play, the same decision would be made because it was deemed as being most fair from a league perspective. A key consideration had to be that CBS released last week's Broncos-Vikings game to Fox when NBC's flex scheduling took Lions-Saints away from Fox. If that doesn't happen, I think Patriots-Broncos gets flexed to prime-time and there is no delay in the announcement. Had the NFL flexed the Patriots-Broncos game to NBC, it would have left CBS with one Broncos game in a five-week span (Weeks11-15).

2. NBC's point of view. As pointed out by Chad Finn of the Boston Globe, "NBC pays $650 million per year to air 18 NFL games, an extraordinary expenditure compared to the $622.5 million CBS pays for 102 AFC games." Given that financial commitment, one would think NBC is fuming at this decision. It would be understandable, as part of the reason it paid $650 million is the value of the flex toward the end of the season to ensure compelling matchups (they don't want to be stuck with Jaguars-Chargers or Rams-Seahawks, like the ESPN back-to-back slate last week and this week). That "flex" has been stripped away in this case. At the same time, while Patriots-Broncos figures to produce big ratings, I still think Chargers-Ravens has potential to be a better game.

3. When do games have to be protected? As part of flexible scheduling, CBS and Fox have the right to protect one game per week from being flexed to NBC. For Week 15, CBS chose Eagles-Jets over Patriots-Broncos. The decision to protect games must be made at some point before the Week 10 flexing period begins. If CBS had up until Week 10 to protect Patriots-Broncos and didn't, one could say the network has only itself to blame. If that decision had to be made well before the Week 10 flexing period began, perhaps it exposed a flaw in the system. It wouldn't seem fair that NBC could choose a game two weeks in advance, but CBS and Fox would have to protect a game much earlier than that. The feeling here is that should be changed.

11. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I never read anywhere that the Jets bitched about the schedule when it came out. While the schedule was shitty for them, the Jets should have complained before the season when the schedule came out! My guess is they (Woody, Rex) were happy to get the national exposure.

The Pats were not scheduled to play at night on the original schedule. And while it's true that Kraft requested the game not be flexed, it was the TV networks that swayed it.

CBS had to give up the Broncos to Fox last week when Fox lost it's prime game to NBC (Saints-Lions). CBS did not want to lose it's best TV game again. Plus, the flex was not supposed to give NBC the best game of the week, it was to allow them to get out of a a really crappy game (Colts-Pats). Chargers-Ravens is not a crappy match-up, and may even be a better game, especially if the Broncos lose.

12. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

regarding this game....who you rooting for- On the one hand i despise Tebow. I want nothing more than for his leg to splinter into nine place requiring career ending surgery. I'm sick of the broncos. on the other hand, bitch ass brady crying on the sidelines and bellicheck try and explain a loss to the tebows

who would you rather see lose?

13. colleen74

colleen74 Member

Seriously???

14. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

With the current playoff picture in consideration, as well as coming to the realization that the Pats are 99% sure to win the division, we as Jets fans pull for those chowder-eating fucks from Foxborough to win and help us possibly gain a game on Jesus-boy and Co should the Jets beat the Eagles. I can't believe i have to possibly root for the Patriots. Fuck it, i'm rooting for a tie. Root for a tie.

15. Elijah

Elijah New Member

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

16. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

What the fuck?

I mean, playing sunday and thursday is no excuse to lose to a shitty offense like broncos
    But why the hell the patriots can change their game date? assuming this is true of course

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

to ALL.

You want the Pats to be the ONE SEED. And the Texans the 4 Seed.

NE needs to STOMP Denver.

That puts the probable path to the AFCCG thru NE via Houston for us, at the 6th seed...

It Gives Pitt Denver, then Baltimore, so by the time the AFCCG rolls around, it's the week AFTER a Pitt/Baltimore divisonal bloodbath...

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Sure it is. A sunday night game gets plkayer home at 2Am, and wastes monday.

a regular Sunday game doesnt kill monday for you.

Sunday Night, get home monday am, tuesday work, wednesday travel, thurs play..tough sledding when the level of competition is close.

That seq. of events should NEVER happen in the NFL.

19. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

Yeah, it is a terrible schedule, and for a harder game it will probably be a big factor

But what i said is i dont think the tiring factor was the reason we lost that denver game, although the players should be tired

But anyways this was just a very stupid schedule

20. colleen74

colleen74 Member

Well now I feel a little silly with my "Seriously???" comment. But... isn't there still a chance of us winning the division? Educate me, oh wise one. (And that is not even sarcasm!)