Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

how anyone can still defend shotty is beyond me. it would be one thing if he was average, and getting piled on. but he is the worst in the league at what he does, and by a far margin. he doesnt do any aspect of his job on even an acceptable level:

-doesnt prepare his team well
    -doesnt gameplan well
    -worst in the league at calling plays
    -horrible play designs(running all 5 guys short of the sticks on 3rd down, 1 man routes in our own endzone, routes were 4 guys are in one spot, etc)
    -doesnt have his teams respect
    -horrible at communicating with his QB
    -worst in the league at in game adjustments
    -doesnt attack obvious mismatches
    -sticks with what isnt working

2. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

how is that different than when he went to the Vikings? August 18th.

Could it be that 41 year old QB was actually injured and old enough that his time had come.

Really?! The year before and the year after he gets MVP votes. I wouldn't even bring up Favre in a Schotty debate if I were on the opposite side.

Being bad doesn't mean being bad all the time, Schotty is capable of a game where his offense scores an average of one TD a quarter. But we are more likely to witness a confused, arrhythmic offense.

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

exaggerate much?

4. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

He's right on, Schnot couldn't do shit with Farve and look how much better the team is offensively as soon as Moore steps in. The guy cost us a super bowl appearance last year (AFCC not just on his shoulders, but a competent OC would have made the difference)

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It's completely differnet for 2 reasons:

1) that was the system he ran for 90% of his career
    2)he wanted to play for Minny to stick it to GB so he tried harder.

Favre sabotaged our season in 2008, the man was helping Det prepare for GB rather than studying his playbook for us- that's all we need to know.

keep making excuses. It's about rex wanting his team to be the best and doing anything to help whether than means a consultant for his well respected OL coach or one for his troubled OC.

How did we make 2 title games w/ a 1st and 2nd year QB if our OC was so bad?

6. Going4TheGreen

He tried harder? So he threw for more touchdowns, less interceptions, better completion percentage, more YPA for both GB and Minnesota in some cases by wide margins because he was trying? I think he had plenty of detractors his time here.

It's a fact, a different mind for one cog is not the same as a different mind for the entire machine.

Our defense was pretty good those years, if I recall. And our STs, with the exception of Weatherford in the playoffs..? Pretty remarkable. Sanchez was getting better, we had a great offensive line for the most part, good talent around Sanchez. And I'm allowing: Schotty isn't retarded. But, he is a liability because he does so many ineffective things throughout the course of the season.

7. nyjunc

No, he was in the same system he played in for 16 years in GB- that was #1. Not trying led to him failing here b/c he was more concerned w/ screwing GB rather than winning games for us.

Our D was good, the STs were pretty good but you aren't winning w/o good play from the O and QB. MUCH better defenses haven't done as much as we did the last 2 years and our O was a major reason why.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Why don't you send Rex Ryan a letter or something and ask him?

9. Big Blocker

LMAO! If half the stuff on that list were true, Rex Ryan should have been fired by now for not having gotten rid of such a "liability".

Ftr Moore "stepped in" this past Off Season, not this past Saturday, and you guys have been bitching about Schotty all year long. So they play KC, who played like crap, and ALL the credit goes to Moore.

Well, what credit doesn't go to Sanchez, I suppose.

And if you had watched both of the last two AFC Champ games you would have realized the main problems were on D. Schotty does not coach the D.

10. Going4TheGreen

Yeah, MVP vote-getter goes 1:1 in TD/Int ratio with us because he loves the Packers the year before and hates them the year after. Don't forget, he still had his problems with Childress.

I think you're selling the D and ST of 09 and 10 short. They aren't without their blemishes or game dropping faults, but those two facets of the team were excellent for the most part. The offensive play calling by Schottenheimer was NOT a major reason why. It was sufficient enough to not kill us, which sometimes he is capable of. But more often than not, our offense is the issue.

11. nyjunc

AGAIN, he was in the system he played in for the majority of his career, a system he knew as well as anyone. I'm sorry the facts don't support your case but you need to examine the facts before you criticize the OC.

The D was excellent until crunchtime in '09, the running game was great but last year both units were up and down and the pass O resuced us numerous times.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Sorry Big, this is not hating on him, what happens is the Schotty lovers look at this game and say "see we told you so BS is a good OC and the anti-Schotty guys say "hold on a minute, this is a terrible Chiefs team, he better had done this against a team as bad as the Chiefs".

The fact of the matter is the Jets are still ranked 25th in the NFL in offense, even with the surplus points we scored yesterday and against Washington.

And that is a fact no one can argue (maybe Junc), and it shows on the field.

13. Going4TheGreen

What are you talking about? I haven't discredited the west coast offense. I just don't think trying "less" means the guy is going to throw 22 picks. That's still one player. Pennington went and had one offseason to learn a new offense and got MVP votes away from Schotty. Brees, we're still seeing the evidence (I know he was only QB coach).

There's still 10+ arguments after you hoot about the WCO and Brett Favre.

Yeah, I agree. When Sanchez was able to just play and react the passing game bailed us out big time in 2010.

14. nyjunc

25th in YARDS, we are top 10 in POINTS. Yards are nice but I'd rather score more w/ less yards than gain more yards w/ less points, wouldn't you?

Our O is healthy and beginning to play like we thought they could. We have a good O, good OC, good QB and it's starting to show.

15. nyjunc

Pennington played in that offense under Dan Henning as a rookie, Chad is one of the smartest QBs to ever play the game too. He pulled put his old playbook when he signed w/ Miami- he was prepared.

Brees gives Schottenhimer credit for helping to develop him by the way and Brees was a great QB in SD too.

16. Going4TheGreen

...now that Moore is more involved.

17. Going4TheGreen

Chad still had to develop chemistry with a bunch of no names besides his solid RBs (which Schotty has had for most of his tenure here).

Brees was great in 2004, that's it, look up the stats. Is it unsolicited praise or did someone ask about his time with Schottenheimer that you're talking about? I don't know.

Still more than enough arguments no matter how many counter arguments you can name. The two biggest are the players were so fed up they were talking to the media, trying to draw some attention to where they felt the problem was. And now this guy who has been in the league for 35 years is here and the offense looks smooth and effective.

18. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

Should we shop for Todd Haley as our next OC?

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And I'd like to add that the yardage can be a result of starting field position on drives.

I believe the Jets are one of the top teams in the league in field position. So points matter more.

20. Big Blocker

The ranking you refer to is flawed. The Jets are in sixth place for scoring. What's more important, total yards or points scored?

Your opening paragraph's point can just as equally be used to characterize the debate about Sanchez, btw.