Bengals/Titans lose on last play

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rinvesto, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

raiders will fall to 7-6 with this loss

no matter the result of the denver game, jets control their destiny now

2. RMorin

RMorin Member

Your whole argument was that teams (specifically BAL) are going to rest their starters. You specifically said that "it will suck" because HOU and BAL are likely to rest their starters.

To "lock" in a playoff position you have to be up a game AND have the potential tie breaker going into the last game. That is not going to happen when you consider the four teams at 10-3 right now, and they all (except PIT playing SF) are playing very winnable games the next two weeks. Even IF a team or two drops a divisional game, and are down a game that does not mean that it is locked in week 16 as they could have the tie breaker.

This is not an opinion, this are statistical facts based upon the playoff seedings.

3. ASITS

ASITS Member

I stand corrected. My fault

4. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

NE will definitely play starters, but that has nothing to do with the Jets, Houston not playing their starters against Tennessee is the problem. Tennessee can still win either way.

Houston is the one seed at the moment, they have an 8-2 AFC record to NE and BAL 7-2.

5. RMorin

RMorin Member

Why wouldn't HOU play their starters!? Do they want to give BAL and NE the first round byes just cause they are super nice?

6. JetsYankeesThrylos

Wow, are you serious? So I get it, you think all three will win their next 2 games and fight for a spot in the last week, I get it, but I am saying what if one or two of them lose? Then what?

I'm thinking about different scenarios IF the fucking Jets lose a game, goddamn dude, I get it, you think they will all win out, relax.

Tell me if Houston somehow blows it against INDY, which is unlikely but it can happen. AND NE and BAL go into week 17 a game up, THEN WHAT? If Houston plays their starters and win and BAL and NE both lose HOUSTON STAYS IN THE 3 SEED. What if HOU loses two games in a row? Do they play their starters? What about BAL, what if they drop 2?

Dude I'm just saying, Houston resting their starters is a possiblity, there are 3 weeks left anything could happen. You think they will win out which is the most likely scenario, BUT I would much rather the Jets go 11-5 and not have to worry about any bullshit that may go down in the last three weeks outside of their control.

Edit: Also regarding your other comment I didn't specify Baltimore, I specified Houston.

#66 JetsYankeesThrylos, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. RMorin

RMorin Member

Even if Houston loses a game, they can still get a first round bye, even if they are a game behind BAL and NE going into week 17. The same goes for all the other teams. You have to be behind a game AND have the tie breaker.

The only way any of what you are saying makes sense is if you think that two of those four teams lose their next two. If you honestly believe that, then I can sell you some "2011-2012 AFC -East Champion Jets" hats, because that is just as likely.

8. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Houston will still be playing for a bye in week 17 unless they lose the next 2.

9. JetsYankeesThrylos

If they lose to Carolina next week than yes, if they lose to Indy or Tennessee and NE and BAL lose their week 17 games and it's left to tie breakers, Houston is stuck in the 3 seed. Oh and I was wrong about NE and BAL, if all three teams win out BAL is the one seed not NE.

10. tzaf1975

tzaf1975 New Member

Ravens and Pats will keep on winning and take the 1 & 2 seed while Houston will drop a game or two

if the Jets get to the playoffs they will play at Houston with Yates or at Denver with Tebow

i like both options

11. RMorin

RMorin Member

You realize they play Tennessee in week 17.? This means that they would not be resting their starters in anticipation of losing a game.

If HOU loses to Indy, then going into week 17 even BAL and NE win out, it could still go down to common games tie breakers with HOU with week 17 loses which is way to complicated to try to predict right now.

One out of BAL, HOU, and NE would have to lose the next two for us to have anything to worry about in regards to resting starters. I don't think many people see this happening.

12. JetsYankeesThrylos

Or if they just lose to Indy.

Baltimore beat Houston this season. So between them in a tie breaker scenario, BAL wins. Houston against NE, I'm not sure, one lost to Oak and the other won, and vice versa with Pitt, both beat MIA, both beat Indy.

EDIT: Ok, so if Houston wins the next two and NE loses to either Denver or Miami then Houston locks up the 2 seed and can rest their starters. Even if NE wins the last game against Buffalo and both tie at 12-4 Houston gets the bye. If it's 13-3 all around Houston is 3 seed, so yeah in week 16 the Texans could have the 2 seed locked up, so yeah, eat it.

#72 JetsYankeesThrylos, Dec 11, 2011
  13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

A true SOJF would say everything is being set up so that we can lose on wk 17 to the Dolphins and remain out of the POs... just sayin...

PS It would be extra bad even if that loss came from the Giants... our last two games are MUST win games.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if you are really concerned about the Texans realistically losing top the Colts, then you have to be concerned with Baltimore, New England the Pittsburgh losing one of their next two games as well, because that is probably the easiest game on any of their schedules. so, if that is really a concern they will all then have 4 losses and be in the same place -- having to win.

15. RMorin

RMorin Member

Your scenario only works if BAL and NE win their next two, and HOU loses to an 0-13 Indy. Even under that far flung scenario which "starters" get rested?

HOU is playing a 3rd string QB, and has been playing without their best offensive and defensive players (Johnson and Williams). What impact players would they plan on taking out exactly?

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Simply believing the jets win out, you can skip the last two pages of this thread.

17. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Ya I thought about this before. I was obviously getting way ahead of myself, but if we make the playoffs we have a good first round matchup (should be Hou or Den) opposed to Bal/Pitt/NE.

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

We matchup w/every team in the AFC just fine. We just need to keep on winning and improving week to week - that is the key regardless of who we play in the next game - keep on winning and keep on improving during the 4th quarter of the season - its the sign of great coaching.

19. JetsYankeesThrylos

No I was stating it as a possibility and a reason I'd rather have the Jets win out and let their destiny stay within their control and not on other teams.

20. JetsYankeesThrylos

Listen I was just stating reasons why I would rather have the Jets win out rather then wonder what would happen if they lose one of the last three. You got on my ass like I was saying that it would totally happen.

Edit: Well I typed "teams will be" which wasn't what I meant, sorry.

#80 JetsYankeesThrylos, Dec 11, 2011