Bengals/Titans lose on last play

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rinvesto, Dec 11, 2011.

1. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Great song!

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like Oakland is digging out of a 31-0 second quarter hole. They are getting ass stomped.

3. RMorin

RMorin Member

You are missing MAJOR pieces of the playoff picture.

Right now, BAL, NE, PIT and HOU are all tied record wise. HOU plays Indy and Carolina. BAL plays Chargers and Browns. NE plays Broncos and Miami. PIT plays SF and and STL.

What would Houston (or either of the three teams) have already "clinched" by week 17?

It is very likely that NE, BAL, and HOU will all be playing for a bye in the last week, making them highly motivated to win. Why would you disregard teams wanting a bye?

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The way I look at it hasn't changed in three weeks ... we're in @ 10-6 if Tennessee loses to Indy, Jax, or Houston. We're not losing to Miami with the season on the line ... and Cincy, Denver and Oakland are all 8-8 or 9-7 teams at best.

#44 truthbtold, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  5. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Someone change the title to 'Bengals & Titans lose on last play'

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Season really wasn't really on the line, there was no chance of us making the playoffs at that point. Also Miami was a 10 win team. This year Miami will be a 4 or 5 win team with potentially JP Losman staring

8. casman02

casman02 New Member

I could be wrong, but I believe the Jets were eliminated earlier that day when NE beat Buff. If we won, NE would of been in, otherwise Miami would of and, did, make it.

9. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

I'm saying they would have clinched a playoff spot, and I mentioned already that Baltimore could play their starters to try and get the 1 seed if possible. Also if all three teams finish 13-3, NE gets 1 seed, Baltimore 2, Houston 3 and Steelers 5. So what am I missing?

10. RMorin

RMorin Member

You really don't get it? Any of those have to WIN the last week to get the bye. They will not clinch it in week 16. Hence, all four teams are extremely likely to play all of their starters.

Houston won't say "well geeze NE will probably win this week so we'll just rest our starters". If Houston wins and NE loses in week 17, Houston gets the bye.

Teams only rest starters if they are locked into their playoff spot. Who exactly do you anticipate being locked in after week 16?

11. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I still don't think the Ravens would be so cavalier about letting a division rival into the playoffs.

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The Redskins could have down us a huge favor but got called for offensive PI on a play that would have made them an extra point away from tying the game up in the final minute. Even if we're not gonna win the division I'd prefer to see the Cheats playing at Baltimore/Pittsburgh then being the #1 seed.

13. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

Perfect week for the jets

14. RMorin

RMorin Member

Moreso it is very likely that HOU, BAL NE, and maybe even PIT, all go into week 17 at 12-3. A team would never rest starters when it would cost them either the division, OR a first round bye.

15. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

How do you know no one will be locked in week 16? I was making a the statement under the assumption that an upset could go down, if Houston loses then what? Why will they need to play starters? Especially since they clinched the division. It's a situation that could arise which is why I feel we need to win out to be safe.

So you're saying no way can NE blow it in Denver with their shit defense and Denver's defense playing well, or maybe Baltimore is a lock to beat up San Diego? What about NE and Miami? Baltimore and Cleveland? They can be sucky teams but they are division rivals. If they all win out the seeds are set and even if they all play their starters does that mean the Titans can't upset Houston? That was my initial thought when talking about starters being rested, Houston vs Tennessee. Tennessee is the threat right now, we need to win out IMO.

#55 JetsYankeesThrylos, Dec 11, 2011
  16. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The Titans schedule is incredibly easy unless Houston needs the win in week 17. There is still quite a bit of pressure on the Jets to win out.

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think really the only team that at this point looks like they could have a bye and division locked up by week 16 is Baltimore by virtue of beating Pittsburgh twice but things would need to fall into place. The Pats could have the division locked up but unless Pitt/Houston/Baltimore lose it looks like they'll have to play guys all the way through.

18. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

nothing changed for the jets
    before this week we needed to win out and hope all the other teams would lose
    Now we just need to win out
    these are gonna be 3 tough games

19. ASITS

ASITS Member

the jets do not contol their destiny b/c the broncos will lose and they will still have the division. raiders have the tie breaker on the jets

#59 ASITS, Dec 11, 2011
  20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Its not even that. If the Steelers and Ravens remain tied, the Ravens will HAVE TO win in order to secure that division or first round bye if they are tied with the Pats or Texans.

Theirs no reason why the Ravens wont be playing week 17, from every angle it looks like they have to no matter what.