Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

for me it isnt so much about run vs. pass as it is the types/designs. im sure you are correct in that some would complain either way. although i do still think that after gaining 8 or 9 on first down, with a run, you might want to run again one of the next 2 downs, especially given your in their territory, and even getting a yard gives you the option to go 4th and inches

2. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with Junc on most of his recent posts. Everyone always wants it both ways. We always say its so predicatable cause Shotty is going to run then when he mixes things up and it doesnt work, everyone screams he is getting "too cute". Not to mention, NOBODY ever considers that Rex might tell him to run certain things in certain situations....a la run more wildcat this week. In several posts reading through yesterday, people still irrationally say it doesnt matter what Rex said, he is still the OC so why run so much wildcat? (which by the way produced a TD) There comes a time where no matter what your hatred is for Shotty that you at least hasve to be reasonable. If the boss says do A, your @ss better do A.

#1 red zone offense in the league? Oh it HAS to be Tom Moore 100%. QB not throwing as many INTS this year and higher completion %? Tom Moore. Sanchez fumbling and offensive line breakdowns? All Shotty.

I have had a couple of posts where I have totally killed shotty but you also have to be reasonable and not blame every offensive short coming on Shotty. To me, the one game to point to for Shotty haters more than any was the Ravens game. Other than that, he is probably as up and down as 50% of the OCs in the league that don't have Brady, Rogers, and Brees. he can call a perfect game and everyone will point to 2-3 play calls and focus on that.

3. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I think this is probably one of the fairest criticisms. I think shotty has 2 issues that we can reasonably question. Play design and QB development. Play calling from an OC will always have a few head scratchers, but there are probablyu just as many people on the other side of those head scratchers saying they were great calls and poor execution.

4. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

Well said!

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It really doesn't matter, he will be out after this year or after next when his contract expires. Either way he will never get another extension and they won't be so cute as to try and hide another extension again either.

6. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

And as an organization, if you really want to see if this is the QB for this team for the next few years or not, it's probably the only move to make. While I don't think Shotty is nearly as bad as a lot of people think he is, I think in order to determine if Mark is the man, you HAVE to make a change at OC after this season. But they better damn well replace him with an upgrade or it could be very ugly in Jet land.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

First of all, tell Rex Ryan this is not his offense. That is just plain insulting, and something you Schotty Haters never can get through your heads. If Ryan doesn't like the job Schotty is doing, why doesn't he do something about it? You guys NEVER have an answer for that.

But back to Chad, and how you guys selectively pick from his stats.

You can't be serious about Hackett, who sucked ass, but let's take a look here.

Chad's best season was 2002, when he was an unknown to other DC's around the league, and most important had not yet suffered a major injury. Even 2002 he did not start the whole season, taking over after the season started. He then suffered injuries in 2003 and 2004. He had his second rotator cuff surgery in 2005.

So, 2006 comes around, coincidentally Schotty's first with the Jets. And it is the first year in Chad's career where he starts all 16 games. And, under Schotty as the OC, Chad wins the COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR. Sure he threw too many interceptions, which dragged down his Qb rating, but his other numbers and the Jets' wins were up, and the Jets went from 4-12 in 2005, BEFORE Schotty came to the team, and went 10-6 with a playoff berth in 2006.

In 2006 Chad started the year NOT slated to be the starting Qb, because he was coming back from injury, and his second rotator cuff surgery. He was clearly hampered by the need to rehab the shoulder, yet he did quite well all things considered under Schotty.

2007 was another set back for Chad, suffering that ankle injury in the first game of the season. I am assuming you are forgetting his physical troubles in 07. No doubt a Schotty Hater such as yourself blames Schotty for those problems.

At that point the Jets were wary of Chad's history of injuries, and as you probably know Chad got hurt gain after 2008, and is currently out of football. So you are hanging your hat on 2008, his SECOND Comeback of the Year campaign, the first one having been achieved under Schotty.

The fish had a very soft schedule in 08, coming off their debacle of 07, and for the first time since 2002 Chad was relatively healthy. Yet he still sucked ass in the first playoff game against a quality opponent, the Ravens. So?

In short, you ignore Chad's winning Comeback Player of the Year in 06 with Schotty, that 07 was an injury plagued year for Chad, that the Jets wanted to go with Favre in 08 despite Chad apparently being relatively healthy again going into 08, that he in fact was relatively healthy for the first time in 08, and assert that ALL Chad's problems before 08 are Schotty's fault. How typical of a Schotty Hater, your analysis does not add up.

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Let me finish for u , this way 1 defender can cover 2 guys...

9. Big Blocker

Excellent post. No Schotty Hater will have an answer for these points.

In any event, the bottom line is he will not be fired before the end of this season. Unless he goes elsewhere on his own decision, he will either come back next year, or not. I think it more likely he will come back, unless some OC candidate who is superlative somehow becomes available. But I think it highly unlikely they fire Schotty and then end up bringing in some college coach or an NFL coach who has never been an OC before. And not someone with a mediocre record, either.

So, unless Schotty leaves on his own, I think he will be back more likely than not. Not much else to say at this point, the Schotty Haters having failed to make a convincing case that he is primarily responsible for the O's problems.

10. Big Blocker

Another Shotty Hater Urban Legend. There were seven db's in on that play.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

They have done something...Tom Moore is here for a reason.

And, There are some coaches that are IN everything all the way..Parcells taking playcalling from Weis comes to mind.

Then there are many coaches that run the Team, and stick to their side of the ball, and allow the other side to operate within reason....

Right now, Rex seems to be the latter. However, it's only year 3 for him as a HC.

Seeing it that way, is hardly insulting. And you can carp about the 'selective' quoting of Penningtons stats. He's a career 90+ QBR player. His 2 years with Schotty were 82, and 86.

Mark is hovering at 81 right now. So...reasonably it would appear that Sanchez is paying as well as can be expected, and that's given that Pennington was allegedly a much better QB.

And over his 3 years in Miami, Penny posted a 94 QBR.

Yeah...it's unclear what the issue is.

12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

How about the communication between sanchez and his receivers, who gets the blame for that? They are never on the same page, how many passes hit the turf with the receiver going one way and the ball going another, it's not only shotty...

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

14. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

He's a head coach he should have been involved in the offense all along. The only thing I got out of that was the thing that people complained about Schotty most on sunday was Rex's doing.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The simple way to understand what has transpired on the Jets under Schotty is the Monty Python method:

"Just look at the bones, man, look at the bones!"

That may look like an innocent little bunny rabbit sitting there by the rock but if you look at the bones you understand it's true nature.

It ate Chad Pennington in 2007 and then Kellen Clemens and Brett Favre in 2008 and it's gnawing on Mark Sanchez right now. It'll happily gnaw on whoever the Jets bring in to play QB at this point. The solution is to get rid of the bunny rabbit before it claims more victims, not keep feeding it and hoping it will change it's ways.

#4216 Br4d, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

How close did we come to getting Sanchez Penningtoned against baltimore, because we refused to use routes that develop in less than 4 seconds?

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You mean like when reed almost killed him in under 2 seconds?

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

How anyone can blame the OC for the Baltimore fiasco is beyond me. Our O line played like they belong in High School. Every play they just got absolutely destroyed and Mark played scared because of it.

20. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member