Signing Maybin Long Term?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Sorry if this was addressed in other Maybin threads or posts but I haven't seen it.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion as to what his worth may be in terms of the $ he would command to sign long term?

Do any of you see him as being an important part of the future of this defense and perhaps expanding his role?
    I know his weight/durability may be an issue with this.

I, for one, would like to see us keep him but I think it's real hard to put a price on him.
    He is a pretty one demensional player at this point and therefore limited in terms of scheme and circumstance in getting him on the field but how can your ignore his game changing nature?

Thoughts?

2. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

We should probably cut Sanchez to make room for Maybin's new contract.

3. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

I like Maybin, a lot, but there are always going to be questions about whether or not he can perform at that level when asked to play 2-3x the snaps.

I'm not going to throw a number out there because truthfully I have no clue about what Maybin wants to do. He could have a chip on his shoulder and be looking to justify where he was drafted and prove he can be a force in this league.. or he may feel he has done enough already in limited time and ask for $$$.

I'd assume the Jets re-sign him to another short term deal to try to keep that motivation up, no need to jump the gun and lock him up in a multi-year deal.

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'd love for the team to do this.

5. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

I think Maybin will be resigned to a moderate deal, but I agree its very hard to put a price tag on him. The thing that leaves the jets in a good place is that our scheme fits maybin perfectly, so realistically i dont see maybin leaving our team, especially since he has already cashed his big checks and seems highly motivated to shake the "bust" label.

If anyone caught SNY's post game, the guys were discussing this pretty heavily towards the end of the show.

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Id give him a 3 year 10 million deal. He's great in his role but he needs to prove he can be a starting LB. I think a full offseason with the team can do wonders for him so it would be nice to sign him for multiple years before next season. Worst case scenario we have a role pass rusher who can get around 10 sacks a season seeing mostly 3rd downs.

7. Coach K

Coach K New Member

hes got no set of seperation moves, and is below average at defending the run.

i think his impact only states how badly a top level talent or prospect needs to be brought in.

with thomas and pace likely to be gone soon and no depth its still one of the few things that pisses me off about Rex and Tanny.

out of curiosity though I think you lock him up for 2 more years and see if he can actually become something more than a 3rd down rusher.

the question will be does his agent try to shop his sack numbers for an inflated contract, at that point you say goodbye

8. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

even if he stays as a 3rd down rusher. you have to admit the guy is difference maker and he has gotten better with every opportunity this season.

With the way our team covers, he is so valuable because on 3rd downs or passing downs, QBs dont have the time to sit in the pocket and dance around until eric smith blows his assignment.

9. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

hes got less than 4 years exp so i believe hes still a RFA ... give him the first round tag and make him prove hes worth a long term contract

10. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Given the start he had to his career I imagine he will value the support of his coaching staff at least as much as a big contract; I would be surprised if he were interested in jumping ship from the team where he is finally starting to establish himself as an NFL player.

In addition, I'd be surprised if most other teams didn't have a concern over how much is Maybin and how much is Rex, and be wary of giving him big money only to see him revert to being the player he was in Buffalo. Not many players have left Rex's defences in Baltimore and New York and gone on to be as good or better elsewhere.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybin has already received a healthy chunk of money - $10.9 mill from the Bills, so he isn't desperate for a big payday. Maybe the Jets can get a medium-term deal for a reasonable amount. I'd like to see him stick around because apart from him, nobody on this team is even making opposing quarterbacks blink.

12. dgonx

dgonx New Member

he's been showing better and better moves. his sack yesterday was really quite an impressive move against a very good tackle. he ran around like he was going to go around and cut in really quickly. I am looking forward to seeing what an offseason with rex and pettine can do for him.

13. JetsBigD

JetsBigD Member

Incentive laden contract - pay him by the sack

14. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

not to be a d*ck, but only way this happens is if he cans his agent and signs Mickey Mouse to represent him after the season. No agent in their right mind would sign off on such a deal.

15. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Bottom line is no one the roster has been getting it done for Rex on any down. Negatives aside he's a high motor guy, with speed , and a good jump on the ball, he could be an asset for the D for years

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

He also fills a need that the Jets need badly. If he can bulk up a bit and become even an average run stopper, he'd be a sick player.

17. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

I wonder if AllState is the official insurance company of the NFL...because from here on out, quarterbacks need protection from MAYHEM.

(I know its cheesy)

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

To his credit he is explosive off the LOS and is relentless but a lot of Maybin's sacks are really coverage sacks. Maybin's success does shine a glaring light on the ineptness of Pace and Thomas in the pass rushing department. If some other team is foolish enough to overpay him thinking they will get the same production minus our secondary, they can have him.

Our secondary should be able to turn a solid pass rusher into a double digit pass rusher and an elite pass rusher into a legendary one based on the added time they give you. That said; I was baffled that we did not pursue some pass rushers this off-season. We are lucky the Bills decided to part ways with Maybin. There were some inexpensive ones like Mark Anderson and Jacob Ford who I feel would reap big rewards in our defense.

19. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

If they are so easy coverage sacks why is Maybin the only one able to get them?

20. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Maybin is our make-good gift from the football gods for Gholston.