Our cap situation next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by THUNDER, Dec 1, 2011.

1. THUNDER

THUNDER Member

Is scary

Brick jumps almost 2 mill (from $9.9 to $11.7)
    Harris jumps 8 mill (from $4 to $12)
    Holmes jumps 6 mill (from $3.25 to $9.25)
    Cro jumps 6 mill (from $2.25 to $8.25)

That’s 22 million s with about another 2 million worth of dead money.

The only player who we save a little money from in Sanchez 3.5 mill (from $17.75 to 14.$25)

So we have about a $20 million increase in salaries from these 4 players not to mention a smaller increase from almost every other player on the team.

So looks like we will not be big players in fa this year. Building through the draft is what we need anyway.

This in no way means I'm saying the season is over, just taking a peek into the future

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

We went over the cap numbers or weeks before the season. If I remember correctly the jets will likely have 7-10 mill in space for the offseason.

That's before Tanny does his voodoo shit to get some extra cash.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U get kudos for looking ahead since hardly anybody else on this board has the foresight to peer into the future :jets:

4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

There's really not much that FA will fix anyway. If we can sign 1 starter on either side of the ball, along with some depth, that will be good enough heading into the Draft. Like the OP mentioned, building this team through the Draft is the way to go.

5. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Life in the NFL. Will be major restructuring or cutting, namely the extremely productive Bart Scott, Thomas, they'll screw a couple veterans, like a LT, Moore, asking them to pay them to play,,, Brunell, Strickland will be gone (not that they make alot), who knows if they ask Cromartie to restructure if he continues to suck, with the emergence of Kyle Wilson.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mmm lets C would U rather have a established player with some years left vs a draft choice where the stats say 70% of them fail? ":jets:

7. THUNDER

THUNDER Member

Ok so even if we are 10 under and get a small increase in cap space of say 5 million we are still 5 million over, plus we need to sign some of our free agents to be: Pouha, Leonhard, Turner or equivalent, Burress or equivalent, Folk or equivalent, Westerman, Maybin.
    Even if we sign all of them or an equivalent for the same money we are looking at another $11 mill. Plus we need to pay our rookies from the draft

8. THUNDER

THUNDER Member

I have had faith before when we were in a hole for the cap, but this doesn't look like a hole this is a pit

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I'm not sure. Let me check my spreadsheet.

10. Ohio Jet

Ohio Jet New Member

Tanny seems to be as good as anyone at managing the cap. Does anyone even know what the cap will be next year. MNF rights just went up by 600 million a year. That should have a 7-9 million effect on the cap on average over the life of the agreement. The NFL is trying to sign new deals with the other networks this year. That should add a significant amount to the cap when done.

11. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I remember reading where Tanny had a bunch of money he's NOT spending on 2011 in order to position us for 2012.

That's good enough for me.

13. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

use the amnesty clause on calvin pace

14. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Check this site out. Has us at 117 mill. I think the cap was set at 120 this yr so we should be under the cap by 5-7 mill. Not much wiggle room though when pouha and a few other starters are free agents.

http://nyjetscap.com/salary12.html

15. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

We could say aloha to Pace, Scott, and Leonhard, and I don't think many Jet fans would shed any tears.

16. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

Pace and Scott have their salaries guaranteed for next year. Leohnard is a free agent. I did read though that the money the Jets aren't spending this year can be used next year. They can also get 1.5 mil in a buy back.

I think the Jets will be fine with their salary cap. This is something Mr. T has always been good at.

The question is who stays, who goes, and who to sign?

17. ukilledkenny

That 11 mill number can change drastically based on how contracts get structured. Tanny's biggest strength is making the money work to allow some movement in free agency. I think we see some room To bring in at last one decent free agent pick up to go along with a handful of minor moves.

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Every team pretty much has the same situation or is faced with a ton of players about to enter free agency.

There is no team that has no salary cap/roster issues and whilst we have a lot of players on big contracts (much too big in many cases) and least we risk losing almost no-one to FA that cannot be replaced.

19. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Honest question, how much cap space would cutting Sanchez save us?

20. ukilledkenny