Sanchez interception today...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Fine axe that. (I haven't seen a replay since Monday).... Scramble back to the line and get the fuck away from the endzone. If the play call is that retarded, why go through with it? Throwing a pick in quadruple coverage because he had to? Get lost.

2. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

He was 4 yards deep in the endzone. Look at the picture at least once. He was not getting out of there.

At the end of his 5 step (seriously) drop Shonn was still in the endzone.

There is nothing about the design of the play that makes any sense.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Alright, I concede. I obviously should've studied the film more thoroughly. Sanchez had to throw that pick, or it'd be a safety.

4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

You guys are so black and white. Um, they both Fed up. Schotty made a horrendous play call (nothing wrong with the design, it's doing it up against your own endzone that is dumb) and Sanchez made a bad decision. He could've thrown it at Greene's feet or ran out of the endzone.

5. Trifco

Trifco New Member

....................................,.… ................``~.,
    .............................,.-".....… ........................"-.,
    .........................,/...........… .............................":,
    .....................,?...............… .................................\,
    .................../..................… ..................................,}
    ................./....................… ...........................,:`^`..}
    .............../......................… ......................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__................… ......................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..........… ...................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_.... ................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-, _.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._..... .";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,.............. ......`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........… ...........(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-.............… .............\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,..................… ..............|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\..................… ..............|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,................… ...............\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,..........… ................\
    ................................`:,,..… .................`\..............__
    .....................................`… ...............,%`>--==``
    ......................................… ......._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`… -&``................ `

Throwing at Shonn Green's feet = safety
    Trying to get out of the end zone = safety

It was not a stupid decision. It's not the same level of blame.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

QB's who try to scramble from 4 yards deep in the endzone tend to take safeties.

What the Jets were trying to do there was to mimic the 99 yard Brady to Welker TD. The difference was that since the Jets have trouble in pass protection they kept people in to block and let Holmes go out against the entire secondary. The Patriots had three options for Brady on the play that went for 99 yards including Gronkowski standing conveniently out in the flat so that Brady could rifle one over his head and out of bounds if the play didn't develop right away.

Sanchez had no outlet available. The closest was to throw the ball at Greene's feet and behind him. That's a play I have never seen a QB make standing in his endzone. You pass to the line of scrimmage or beyond when you're in your own endzone because the odds on getting called for grounding are too high if you throw it into the ground there.

#226 Br4d, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  7. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I'm not taking the partial blame off of Shotty, but Sanchez could have thrown it at Greene's feet even if Greene was behind the line of scrimmage without being a safety. The part about a pass going past the line of scrimmage is in reference to the QB being able to throw the ball away (ie. with no receiver near the throw) as long as the QB is out of the tackle "box" then the QB can throw the ball anywhere he likes past the line of scrimmage without it being grounded. If he's in the tackle box the throw has to be near a receiver and if doesn't matter is the throw is behind or past the LOS.

That being said, it's still a bad play from a protection stanpoint as well. Slausen's man is beating him on that play. Another second and Sanchez is tackled. That's why Sanchez has to throw the ball probably before he wanted to.

The other thing thing that I can't understand is why you would max protect with 4 guys to the left of the center and only 2 guys to the right. As this picture shows, if Mulligan or Ducasse is on the other side there is more protection for Slausen. Since Buffalo was in a very balanced defensive set it doesn't make sense to me to overload on the left and then run a play fake to the right. If you're going to run a play fake to the left then why have less blockers over there? It just seems like a complicated setup. Overload on the left to feign a run their, then pull the LG to the right and play fake there, all in hopes of what?

If you're QB is in the endzone you want to give him at least one quick positive option in case the protection breaks down. And as numerous people have already said (wish I could find a picture of a dead horse) there was none on this play.

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Enough said

9. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Sanchez was still in the box.

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Consider this.

They ran it from the same spot on field a series or two prior.

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by johnny
    I'm not taking the partial blame off of Shotty, but Sanchez could have thrown it at Greene's feet even if Greene was behind the line of scrimmage without being a safety. The part about a pass going past the line of scrimmage is in reference to the QB being able to throw the ball away (ie. with no receiver near the throw) as long as the QB is out of the tackle "box" then the QB can throw the ball anywhere he likes past the line of scrimmage without it being grounded. If he's in the tackle box the throw has to be near a receiver and if doesn't matter is the throw is behind or past the LOS.

I know that Sanchez was inside the box. That's why it doesn't matter whether or not a pass from Sanchez to Greene would have been past the LOS. It just matters whether or not the receiver was in the area of the pass. If Sanchez had just dumped the ball at Greene's feet whether Greene was behind the LOS or not it probably wouldn't have been intentional gounding.

Again this play was a loser to start and I'd like to see what Sanchez could do under another OC. Additionally, the blocking failed on the right side (which is to be expected given the protection scheme). I like Sanchez and think that he has progresses OK. However, I think it's incorrect to say that Sanchez had no other choice but to try and get it to Santonio. He could have dumped the pass to Greene's feet.

12. Trifco

Trifco New Member

probably but I think that'd be nitpicking there... at the moment when Sanchez passed the ball -which is a bit sooner than the pic- Greene was still blocking.

He could have waited not knowing if Greene would ever be able to run his route and risking to be sacked... probably that would've been better, but it's too close.

13. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Hmm, this is going well. Only took 12 pages for some other posters to notice this Maki fool thinks an eligible receiver needs to be at the line of scrimmage to avoid Intentional grounding.

:lol::lol::lol:

It's not a good call at by Schotty, but that don't mean you throw into triple coverage!!!!

14. The Mak

The Mak New Member

Who the fuck is Maki?

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I don't like Maki, he's unknown too much!!!!

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

He cannot throw it at Greene in that spot.

Maybe you don't GET the rule.

Yeah, leaving it up to the Zebra's would have been the play.

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I heard that they wanted Mulligan to do what Gronk did but they were worried he would run to the water cooler instead of the flat

18. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Look, Sanchez was put into a bad spot - no two ways about it. It was a poorly executed and conceived play. However, to say that the best course of action was the throw down the field is incorrect (IMHO). If you look at the video (and I have more times than it warrants - frame by frame) when Sanchez starts his trowing motion to Holmes the lineman is about six yards from him. Greene is starting to run his route (not block - althought the LB is still on him) and Mulligan (along with Ducasse) is standing around waiting for the invidible rusher. Sanchez could have thrown it in the vicinity of either Mulligan or Greene and I don't believe a flag would have been thrown.

We've nitpicked this play to death. An excellent QB play would have been to throw it away smartly and live for another day. Although I think Sanchez had better options I don't think it's an example of what some here would call a "boneheaded" play.

19. Trifco

Trifco New Member

Not a good example of a boneheaded play by Mark, but a great one of a boneheaded play called by Schotty.

20. ANJI

ANJI New Member

GTFO

As long as it's in the vicinity of a receiver they can't make that call....a realistic pass isn't what you consider his chances to catch the ball.

Or are you saying that MS can't make a believable pass to the flat???
    IE a ball that is within a couple yards of Green???

Because you might be right..........