Beat writer says Jets were oversold by HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If you're a homer or a Rex Ryan groupie, don't read this thread cause you won't like it at all.

Taken from today's NYPost:

But wait, there's more...

I guess he would disagree with alot of the folks here that still believe this team is talented enough to go on another run to the AFCCG or, gasp, the SB itself. Without a serious upgrade at several key positions, this team will continue to be a product of hype and talk instead of actual results on the field. Time for Tannenbaum to step up and start the overhaul. Perhaps by 2013, we'll be an elite team.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Who wrote this? Looks like a Serby article.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Thanks for posting the article. As I have been saying for a while now all RR is a shill for Woodys PSLs :sad:

4. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I also heard a rumor that the Jets were interested in adding a OL early in the season and that Woody said no, that the PSL's aren't all sold and that he wasn't adding anymore salary.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It does.

In reality though, who really thought this was their best roster, or even on par with last year? If you did, you need to be more objective and take off the green glasses. They had ALOT of free agents this offseason and many guys are on the downside of their careers. Losing to PITT in the AFCC stung so bad because I knew this was coming.

Rex talks up his guys, that's what he does..... he even said positive stuff about one of the worst draft picks in NFL history, before finally letting him go.

That's not to say they're a bad team, they can still win when things come together but it is what it is........

6. Cynic

Cynic New Member

This is stupid. He acknowledges that the Jets will probably make the playoffs, yet doesn't realize that anything can happen in the playoffs on a given Sunday. If the coaches have a great gameplan and the players execute it like they did against the Patriots anything can happen come playoff time. Just get there.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Costello, NY Post wrote this.

8. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

He was just doing his job, C. What's he supposed to say, that we'll suck ass this year, but wait till next year! Heh.

All of us who understand football knew we had downgraded talent. Damien Woody to Wayne Hunter? I don't think so. They have largely ignored the OL during Ryan's time here, instead giving roles to guys who just cannot do the job. Hell, our best pass rusher is Aaron Maybin! They do have to give us some answers about these personel decisions.

9. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Shitty speculation is shitty.

10. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I think mentioning Jenkins and Ellis is nonsense. Considering Jenks played 6 games under Ryan in 2 years - you didn't lose anything on the field. Ellis was an animal in the playoffs last year but he was a steady average lineman otherwise. Richardson was def vet leadership but Conners play is almost at TRich's level which is incredible considering Conner is in his 2nd year.

Whatever - I have no problem wearing the RR apologist name tag. He's still the best coach this franchise ever had since Weeb. I'm getting tired of typing the same line over and over but if the overrated Bill Cowher can have a 13 year leash to win an SB for Pitt, RR should be here for 10 years minimum.

11. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

What do you expect Rex to say?

"uh, we aren't that talented"

12. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

13. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

This is what I don't get about people who knock Rex and make fun of him. Rex says most things other coaches say, but the difference is, Rex goes public and is loud and proud about it. Most other coaches say it directly to their team and behind closed doors.

Now yeah, the super bowl talk, and all the talk of us being great is getting a wee bit old, it is, cuz it's not true, but with Rex, more people notice the Jets as a "real" team now. Could we say that with Mangini? Kotite? Groh? Herm, even? We aren't a blip on the radar anymore. Rex puts us out there. It hurts sometimes because we weren't able to convert in either AFCCG, especially last year.

But it's Rex's third fucking year as a coach. If you would have told me that we would have had this much "success" in his first two years rather than the usual we used to have, I would have easily signed the dotted line.

14. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

if the jets make it to 11-5 or 10-6, it's laughable to think no one will believe in them come playoff time. there is no great team in the AFC. the jets now can't win a playoff game if they get there?

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

aside from a bit of a sharp edge the writer seems to have with ryan, i think its mostly spot on.

but if the writer felt like this earlier than this should have come out around weeks 2 or 3 instead of weeks 11-12.

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i would love to believe in ur thesis but even if we do in fact squeak in my confidence will be much less than in 09/10.

in 2009 i really did expect to beat the bengals and didn't get surprised until the chargers game. in 2010 i thought it was 50/50 with the colts and i expected to beat the pats and the steelers.

currently i wouldn't expect a road win in january come playoff time.

its not far fetched that a team looks mediocre at weeks 10-11 and all of a sudden something clicks - they get on that roll that u cant explain. i wish the jets could get that but i just dont see it from the players we really should be seeing it from starting with the QB.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

While I mostly agree with your point here, CMan, there are a couple of points that should be made in fairness to Ryan.

First of all I think when Turner went down in the off season, that was a big loss, since he was the first guy off the bench for the OL, when there's no one but VD behind him. Ryan didn't know that at the time. The FO compounded the problem of Turner going down by not really replacing him, and yes, Baxter did not count in that regard. Then of course surprise the Turner absence becomes critical when Mangold got hurt. That situation cost the Jets alot. And Ryan did not know about it at the time he said those things.

And there is also some merit to Ryan saying nice things about his team in pre-season not being so awful. Most HC's do that.

Where I do think he crossed a line and a point I recall him making that i personally, and in hindsight stupidly, took seriously was his saying Sanchez had progressed a great deal in the off season. Not so. In fact, it is fair to say Ryan flat out lied there. There's a difference between garden variety pre-season hype and lying. Rex crossed the line there.

18. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

Hmm, let's put our deposit down to watch Eli Manning or some phony with a stupid mouthguard yelling "Kill! Kill!" to make it extremely obvious that a horrible handoff right up the guy to Shonn Greene is coming.

Not a hard choice if you're one of the high rollers in New York looking to entertain clients.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

+1

I consider myself a solid Jet fan that is objective, it's hard to disagree with the writer's POV.

20. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Bottom line anyone who wants Rex fired knows nothing about football.