Jaguars sold... what will happen now?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Mambo9, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Is this the first step towards a move to LA? I can't imagine any businessmen investing money in the Jags to keep them into a market like Jacksonville!

PS Considering the guy is from Illinois could it make any sense to see the Rams moving to LA and the Jaguars moving to St Louis?

2. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

What does the owner being from Illinois have to do with the fate of teams in Florida, Missouri and California?

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I really dont think he'll keep the team in Florida. And since a team is bound to go to LA why not the Jags?

As for the Missouri thing I always thought St Louis was in Illinois, ops.
    PS Oh come on, it's right on the border with Missouri! :)

PPS Also geographically it would make so much sense. NFC West plays in Arizona, Seattle & San Francisco... The Rams in Los Angeles make much more sense than in St Louis. And the AFC South has teams in Indianapolis, Nashville and Houston so a team from St Louis would fit well over there.

#3 Mambo9, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  4. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

It looks like they're expected to remain in Jacksonville.

5. Johnny English

I don't know what the attendances and finances are like for those teams, so I'm not sure whether it makes sense. I know that the dream for LA is that it gets the Rams back, but I'm still not sure why an Illinois investor would want to make that deal when it is at best a net even for St Louis. Why would they want to lose their existing team and replace it with the Jags? It isn't like the Jags' roster brings an immediate benefit to their Super Bowl chances, and any additional merchandising money raised by the new identity would probably be negated at least to some extent by the alienation of part of the fanbase. It isn't like they're bringing a team to a city that doesn't have one already, so there's no novelty factor to make up for the fact that the team's shit.

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I was thinking about this. You can't really disrupt the AFC West, those four teams are traditional rivals. The Jaguars could go to the NFC West, move the Rams to the NFC South, take the Panthers (least tradition in the NFC) and put them in the AFC South to replace Jacksonville.

There, all settled. Play ball. :up:

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I wonder how much the NFL would be open to shuffling teams around... especially from the AFC to the NFC.
    My guess is as long as it makes sense financially they'd be open to it. The league priority is money...

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
    Weaver is asked if staying in Jacksonville is in writing. He says no but has no doubt team will stay here. "Pretty hard to put in writing."

If it's not in the contract then every option is open...

#7 Mambo9, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. Johnny English

Thinking about it, maybe you're right. Maybe the potential value realised by the St Louis owners in selling the Rams to LA and buying the Jags outweighs any potential revenue impact from changing the team in St Louis, and allows them to still make a chunk of profit after offering subsidies and incentives on merchandise and season tickets to keep the fans in St Louis sweet. We'll have to see how this one plays out.

9. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

That would be a terrible business move. You may not fill up a stadium in LA, but a team there is sure as hell more marketable than one in Jacksonville.

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

All I know is a team going to LA will generate a lot of money and St Louis is a better market than Jacksonville. If they find a profitable way to bring the Rams back "home" and have a team in St Louis both the NFL and the owners involved will look into it.

We'll see...

11. Johnny English

Apparently the new Jax owner recently tried and failed to buy the Rams.

12. Italian Seafood

If a team moves from Florida to LA they would have to. The important thing is to maintain eight 4-team divisions for balanced scheduling. They moved Seattle from the AFC to the NFC in 2002 when they realigned, it's better than doing what the NHL has with Winnipeg playing in the Southeast division, that's just stupid.

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Come on, Winnipeg is in southeastern Manitoba.

14. Italian Seafood

Oh....my bad.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Just watched the press conference...... Weaver insisted that the team is staying in JAX and that's why he agreed to the sale, stating that he was offered deals in the past that involved immediately moving to California and he turned them down and this guy has agreed to keep the team in JAX....... but he did also say there is nothing in writing to say the JAGS have to stay, as that's not something you can force on someone and he's going by the man's word.......

The team tanks the next 2 years if Gabbert doesn't grow some sack, the stadium is empty... then they're toast. I bet they wished they would've drafted the Golden Child now...... :breakdance:

kinda sucks..... not a JAGS fan per say, but it is good to have a NFL franchise here. Alot of friends are season ticket holders, apparently they're the minority :shit:

16. felker

felker Active Member

Some years ago I spent a lot of time in Jacksonville as part of my job. I really liked the people I worked with - friendly and not pretentious at all, and the area had some nice features including reasonable cost of living and proximity to the ocean. But it really didn't seem strong economically. Of course in the NFL with the profit sharing and all you can have a franchise anywhere, even Wisconsin. But eventually I think any owner is going to want to make his investment in his franchise grow. To me this means sooner of later the Jags will be located somewhere else. And I'm sure there will be lots of red carpets rolled out.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Shahid Khan, a prominent Pakistani american business man owns the Jaguars now.

Cool to see a south east asian minority owner be in charge of a NFl team

18. BookEndTackles 72&79

The Jags are staying put. Contrary to popular opinion LA really isn't close to getting any team with one exception. The Vikings. Any team moving to LA would have to be sold to the investors out there who are putting up the money to build a privately funded stadium. There are two competing investor groups with different stadium sites and both want a majority interest in the team as their payback for building it. Neither investor group is stupid enough to use 1.5 billion of their own money to collect 50MIL in rent from a team that moves there.

The Vikings are the closest to heading out there. The Dome lease is up and any new stadium in Minnesota is at least 3 years away as it is tied up in a legislative standstill with no end in sight. Nothing is tying the Wilf family to Minnesota and the Wilfs can sell out to the LA group with no lease ramifications. The team could be in LA tomorrow as long as they are willing to give up control of the franchise. No other team is in that situation.

19. BookEndTackles 72&79

The Jags are staying put. Contrary to popular opinion LA really isn't close to getting any team with one exception. The Vikings. Any team moving to LA would have to be sold to the investors out there who are putting up the money to build a privately funded stadium. There are two competing investor groups with different stadium sites and both want a majority interest in the team as their payback for building it. Neither investor group is stupid enough to use 1.5 billion of their own money to collect 50MIL in rent from a team that moves there.

The Vikings are the closest to heading out there. The Dome lease is up and any new stadium in Minnesota is at least 3 years away as it is tied up in a legislative standstill with no end in sight. Nothing is tying the Wilf family to Minnesota and the Wilfs can sell out to the LA group with no lease ramifications and the team could be in LA tomorrow as long as they are willing to give up control of the franchise. No other team is in that situation.

20. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Jags are stuck in that awful stadium lease for 18 more years unless they cook the books to say they lost money 3 years straight. Weaver went out of his way to make it impossible for the new owner to move the team, he could have gotten more money from investors in LA, but he really wants the team to stay.
    The most likely teams to end up in LA are SD, OAK, MIN, and STL