What do we do in the off season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeDevito, Nov 21, 2011.

1. cobrien

cobrien Member

Not to fuel the rumor mill fire, but maybe find Peyton a nice house out on the island : )

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

Honestly, I can't remember many of tipped balls, or especially balls thrown at a lineman's head... And im pretty sure a tipped pass here and there is the least of the teams concerns right now.

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I think you might be missing something here. I agree with the other guy. He seems to have an incredible number of knocked down passes. Hes not huge and I think he plays smaller than he is to boot

4. cobrien

cobrien Member

Truth be told not as much this year as his 1st 2 years but still an awful lot, and I totally agree with you Jonnyd he plays really small for his size, maybe they need to work on his posture or something because he also looks incredibly uncomfortable almost awkward at times

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He was okay in 2009 after Leon Washington got hurt. I hate slausen but if we can't get rid of both he and hunter. I guess hunter would have to do.

6. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

Why draft Luck when Rodgers has another 10-12 years left in his career? Agree with everything else

7. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

can't believe people don't bring this up. to hell with safety's, first and foremost, this team needs a PASS RUSHER. The safety's will play a lot better if the QB has less time to throw.

8. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Boy,
    what all I hear what we need, I thought at the beginning of the season we were SB bound.. LOL

9. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

Bingo!!!!

If you don't have to bring 5-6-7 guys to get the QB, a LB or 2 can at least drop into coverage to at least occupy the middle of the field.

10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Off season????? Off season, are you crazy. We are in the middle of a playoff race and you want to talk off season. Come on man!!!!! Get with it, the fun part of the season is just starting. Off season, I feel like Jim Mora with the playoff rant.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

so nobody else can have him

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Same thing we've been doing... tell everyone we're going to the Superbowl and how we're going to kick everybody's ass next year.

What the hell, if you do it long enough eventually you'll be right. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Yes, this man gets the door prize. Spot on.

14. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Some of these suggestions might be bold, but why not run with it? Here’s some ideas that I’d throw out there:

Trade Greene to get some picks for next year’s draft. I’m not sold that Greene is the power back we need and it seems like we’ve seen his ceiling. Promote McKnight to a bigger role, and maybe have him split carries with Powell, and re-sign LT as our veteran backup. But most of all get something for Greene.

Then work on getting something via the draft or free agency in the following areas:

O-Line
    Pass rusher
    Safety
    Cut Plaxico and bring in another proven WR. Keep Holmes and Kerley.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Going at this backwards, right now I am actually happy with the DL rotation. At wideout, I am concerned whether Burress and Kerley are the way to go with Holmes, but it's too early to tell, although Braylon would be nice to get back. Corners are set with Revis Cro and Wilson. Interior LB positions can both probably be left alone for next season, and Leonhard will probably be back. Keller has been mostly average to mediocre this year, imo, but he's not bad, either. That's about it for what is set, and oh yeah for better or worse Sanchez is almost certainly going to be back. That said...

OL. Huge help needed here. Hopefully Turner rehabs well, otherwise a MINIMUM of two players are needed here, and i would go two even if Turner comes back. VD at this point looks at best to be a bench player, and at that not as capable as Turner, not at all. Hunter is not as awful as some think, but he's too mediocre to be a solid starter. OL help imo is number one on the team's needs.

OLB. I like Pace, and Thomas may be back next year, but the Jets should probably add a real pass rushing OLB to the mix. Maybin is tantalizing, but he's not seeing the field much. He might make next year's squad, but the Jets need a dependable pass rushing linebacker.

RB. Sorry, Shonn, but add too fragile to your list of negatives. Just not a number one back. Ground and pound and Sanchez's limitations require a solid and consistent RB. The Jets do not presently have one.

Safety. I am not as down on Smith as some here, and think no one is doing a good job guarding Gronkowski and some other pass catching tight ends (although some teams can sure make Keller disappear). But the CS is not hugely enamored of Pool,either. Help is needed, although not as much as some others think.

And depending on what Sanchez does, do the Jets seek help at Qb or hope McElroy can come back and be a dependable backup? THis nonsense of Brunell being the #2 Qb is way old at this point.

And it sure would be nice if the Jets could find a linebacker who could chase Gronkowski, but this is football, and not a fairy tale.

And oh yea, I have decided the punter eats it.

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

that is very true but it is realistic to think that a decent safety is going to be available in free agency that we could afford.

there is next to no chance a decent pass rusher ever hits free agency or if he does that we would be able to afford him

pass rusher is clearly our biggest D need but who is going to be a UFA next year?

17. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

We need a punter who doesnt punt 13 yards in denver

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Go to Alaska & find gold! :smile:

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

RT, OLB, S, WR2 need to be addressed.

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I wonder if RR even knows what that is :smile: