The Offense Has Regressed, Mark Sanchez Has Not.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Organized Chaos, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez has 17 TDs (3 rushing) 10 INTs and 2333 yards through 10 games.

2011 Projected stats if Sanchez keeps his current pace:

In 2011 Sanchez will have 3731 yards, 28 tds (5 rush) and 15 interceptions.
    In 2010 Sanchez had 3291 yards, 20 (3 rush) TDs and 13 interceptions.
    In 2009 Sanchez had 2444 yards, 15 (3 rush) TDs and 20 interceptions.

His completion percentage is 57% this season, compare it to 2010 (54.8%) and 2009 (53.8%).

Sanchez has shown clear improvement from 2010 to 2011. He has done all of this with declining talent all around him.

Plaxico so far is a downgrade from Braylon Edwards. Kearly/Mason is a downgrade from Cotchery as well. The pass offense can no longer stretch the field the way it did with Braylon Edwards.

The offensive line along with the run game has fallen apart from its glory year in 2009. Even the 2010 squad was better than what Sanchez is stuck with now.

Much of the NFL network and local coverage has focused on the idea that Sanchez has somehow "regressed". Yet his statics have gone up while the talent has gone down.

Mark Sanchez has not regressed. The talent around him has regressed.

2. 624

624 Banned

His numbers have gone up with a worse supporting cast.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Ha, like people are going to take that fact and believe it.

I can't start him on my fantasy team. He's clearly a shit bust who needs to be traded next April.

This kid is not the next Joe Montana. It's time to keep looking for that guy.

The QB is the only player sucking on offense. Well, him and Vlad Ducasse.

4. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

If we could just get rid of fuckin Schitty we might really see Sanchez take a big step forward. As it is he's never going to reach his full potential under this ridiculous scheme.

5. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

The only thing is that has concerned me recently is that the past 3 out of the 4 games he has thrown a pick 6. This has to stop. Also, he needs to start calling more plays by himself instead of relying on Schitty. Oline needs to step it up its pathetic. Only Mangold consistently plays well.

6. CarlDouglas

CarlDouglas Member

I think it is the interceptions at crucial times that are the main area of concern. Passing yards are likely to be higher this year because of the problems with the run game.

To be honest, Sanchez should be judged on wins. In the past he has won games, including on the road in the playoffs. I don't know where this season is going but getting a wildcard and winning one or more playoff games would have to be considered a success.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If we're going to include his rushing touchdowns, can we also include his FIVE lost fumbles? He's already lost more fumbles this season than he did in his previous 2 seasons combined.

Sanchez is tied for 2nd in the NFL in turnovers with Vick. Only Rivers has more. And many of these interceptions have come at completely inopportune times.

But for the most part, I agree. Sanchez hasn't regressed. Has he improved as much as I hoped for? No. Has he taken off where he left off in the playoffs last year? No. As a 3rd year quarterback, there are still a lot of growing pains left, but he still is improving.

The problem with comparing his stats to previous seasons is that his previous 2 seasons were pretty awful. His rookie year was abysmal, last year was below average, and this year, he's improved to mediocre.

He's 29th out of 33 QBs in completion percentage, he has the 2nd most turnovers, and he has done this with just ONE pass of 40+ yards. John Beck is the only qualifying with less, and Matt Moore is the only other one with only 1. And this is with mostly improved numbers.

Those are cherry-picking his worst stats, but even his best numbers are only middle of the pack.

Now, like you said, this is not all his fault. The offensive line, runningbacks, and receivers HAVE regressed. As a result, it's been harder from him, and he's still growing as a quarterback, that much is clear.

You can't give up on him, just because he's in his 3rd year, he does have some credibility with 2 AFC Championship games, and he has shown flashes. People who want to cut him are ludicrous.

It's just stressful as a Jets fan right now with Sanchez because the Jets are heavily invested in his success. There is no heir apparent on the team (unless you think McElroy is an NFL starter), and the Jets need to rebuild a bunch of holes on this team. If Sanchez isn't the answer, quarterback immediately vaults to the top.

He's shown enough where you keep him out there the rest of this year, and most likely all of next year, too, unless he regresses. There are countless examples of quarterbacks who took several years to develop, and Sanchez has less college experience than most of them. He needs time.

Right now, he is not a good quarterback. He's never really been a good quarterback, except for a few playoff games where he played pretty well. I was really confident with his play in the Steelers game last year.

But he hasn't regressed. You're right about that. He's just not improving as fast as we hope.

8. Cynic

Cynic New Member

He obviously hasn't regressed. He's just not good enough.

9. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Good enough to carry the entire offense / make up for a horrible OC?
    Sorry we didn't draft Peyton Manning.

10. Cynic

Cynic New Member

Sorry for asking a top 5 pick to be above utter mediocrity.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This post brought to you by the great football mind that claims Sione Pouha has no lower body strength......

12. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Put Sanchez on the Saints and he wouldn't be nearly as bad as he is now...he just doesn't fit in shottys system which at most achieves mediocrity.

13. Cynic

Cynic New Member

I can't disagree with that. I also want Schottenheimer fired.

14. Cynic

Cynic New Member

I didn't mean it like that. The guy can squat 600 lbs, but it just seems like all his weight crashes down on his knees and ankles and hinders his movement. He gets cut blocked very easily.

15. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

He hasn't regressed, but neither has he significantly progressed. At $17.75 million it is fair to expect something more than below average. 17th in YPG, 17th in YPA, 29th in Comp%. 18th in passer Rating. Those numbers are Ok if you get them from Matt Moore or Kyle Orton for $12-15 million less and put that money toward other positions, but when you pay nearly 15% of your cap to a quarterback he has to be an asset for you to succeed.

16. mute

mute Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

finally some truth.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So you're saying gravity is the culprit?

18. IATA

IATA Trolls

that motherfucker!

Sent from my balls to your face using Tapatalk

19. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I still think his decision making has regressed since he got his ass kicked in Baltimore. He is too quick to get id of the ball. A lot of the time beacuase the oline isn't giving him the time,but sometimes on his own

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Who cares if hes regressed or not? He sucks. And for a top 5 pick for 18 million a year, heres a disaster.