Mark Sanchez Will Be QB As Long As Rex Ryan Is Coach.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Organized Chaos, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I didn't see this posted today...

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/11/rex_ryan_backs_jets_qb_mark_sa.html

on a conference call this morning, Jets coach Ryan said that Sanchez should not have to bear the burden of this loss by himself and that he's "extremely confident" in him.

Although it hasn't been perfect, Ryan admitted, he said

Sanchez will be his quarterback for as long as he's head coach.

Everyone needs to get better, he said. Not just Sanchez.

"Absolutely, it doesn't belong on Mark's shoulders. He's just a player, he's a big piece in a puzzle but it wasn't all on Mark Sanchez," Ryan said. "He'd be the first one to admit, he's gotta be more consistent, we have to cut down on some errors and things, as does the rest of the team — myself included and every other coach. We'll all take this collectively, but he doesn't need to put it on his shoulders.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He is most likely right.

3. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

It's just for the media..same thing like he said he was gonna turn gholston into a good player.

4. Organized Chaos

Yeah, but I think this statement was a little bit overboard (Rex? Overboard? NEVER!), especially since he admitted that he considered benching Sanchez last season.

5. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

True but Mark is in a fragile state of mind and think of how he'd feel mentally after being named a captain.. I don't think Brunell is viable option..so we're stuck with him.

6. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

Rex also says he has full confidence in Schottenheimer.

7. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

that's because you don't give up on a 25 year old quarterback after 2.5 seasons which resulted in 2 straight AFCC appearances.

or a 25 year old quarterback who leads the league in 4th quarter comebacks dating to last year

8. Cynic

Cynic New Member

Do you think he's going to say anything otherwise midway through the season when they desperately need to run the table?

If he said "He's our quarterback right now but I don't know what the future holds" there would be a media shitstorm and Sanchez already fragile confidence would be even more broken.

9. Organized Chaos

Typically head coaches say "He's our starting QB for the rest of the season". Or "No, of course we're not going to bench him'.

I don't recall ever hearing a coach say "He's going to be QB as long as I'm here!" but it is, after all Rex.

10. Organized Chaos

I'm not saying we should give up on him, I was just posting the story.

http://www.rif.org/

11. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

i wasn't saying you were. that's why i didn't quote you or address you in that statement

12. ........

........ Trolls

That's because Rex very well could be tied to Sanchez as far as his tenure is concerned for the next two seasons. If Sanchez improves over the next 2 seasons and the FO manages to fill holes, the team will compete consistently and Sanchez will retain the job for the foreseeable future. If he continues to plummet over the length of his rookie contract, however, he's unlikely to be the only one who loses a job because of it.

13. Organized Chaos

I can't imagine they would ditch Rex if Sanchez fails. Rex has the most wins of any Jets coach ever, and the most playoff wins. If they go 8-8 this year, then go 3-13 next season and Sanchez is the cause, do you think they really ditch Ryan?

I think Rex will have a very long leash given the history of the franchise and his success.

14. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I take it as meaning that Rex is not as much of a pussy as most of the people who post here after losses.

Oh yeah, plus he actually knows about football stuff too.

The longer I've spent on TGG makes me realize that most people think football is all about quarterbacks and some nameless people that just run around and bump into each other wearing matching outfits in the background.

#14 James Calvin, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

This, he can't dump Sanchez. He tied his tenure to him. That would be openly admitting that his first 3 years were a failure. Besides as previous articles have pointed out that he is still improving despite the perception around here.

That doesn't mean he has a blank check and his significant mistakes can remain a constant theme. Anyway it is very rare for a head coach to draft a high round, ride him for 3 years and then about face and declare him a bust. The coach is usually fired first.

16. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

Is it me or does it seem like this team is falling apart by the seems. Maybe its just all the negativity on this site, but still it looks bad, really bad to me. I can't give up on Sanchez just yet, but if he continues to make mistakes like this consistenly during next season it really should be time to start looking for a new quarterback. However, with all this negativity there are some highlights that still give me hope. David Hariss and Wilkerson look awesome.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

From what I remember about coaches and QBs, you get 2 tries and then it's over.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And that's what creates the "elitism" those same ropes cry about.

19. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Which is a big fat fucking lie

Rex is stuck with Brian.

20. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

You are ignorant. Just because Ryan is the winningest Jets coach in your memory doesn't mean he's the winningest "Jets coach ever". Google it, skippy, which is what I did because while I was sure that Weeb Ewbank had "the most wins of any Jets coach ever", I wasn't sure of the number. Weeb won 71 games, including the biggie, Super Bowl III. Rex Ryan has 25 wins in 2.5 seasons.

If the Jets go 8-8 and then 3-13, it's likely that Ryan is history -- and Sanchez as well. The expectations for Ryan by the Jets FO, the media, and the fans were much higher than that, and part of that is on Ryan himself with all his yapping about winning Super Bowls.

FTR, I don't think that Ryan is the reason the Jets are struggling at 5-5 (they could be much worse given the talent they have at many positions), but with the FO and their personnel decisions. However, the FO suits aren't going to fire themselves if the team disappoints, so it's usually the HC who gets the axe, and Ryan makes an easy target because he has run his mouth so often.