Do the Jets have the tools to beat NE in the playoffs?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bill Belidouche, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

yeah good call on all of those... obviously not everything will go our way and we will make some mistakes each game... no team is perfect... the key is minimizing this retartedness and much as possible...

the maybin mistackles are inexcusable... the offensive playcalling put us in a hole many times... mulligan is just not a good football player and should not/would not see the field if we had another blocker...

bottom line is we need to play better... we have the tools

2. Martin is the man

This are all perfect and IMO the Jets can shut down the Pats passing attack. It's as simple as Revis on Welker, Cro on Branch, Wilson on aaron hernandez (did you see him light him the f up?), gronk needs to be jammed at the line by an OLB and bracket covered over the top with Smith and if he catches it try and break his pelvis. And have Harris cover the RB outta the back field. I know it sounds easier then it truly is but the Jets with out question have the defensive personal to stop them, they just need to not make mistakes like Jtuds said and cover like they're capable of doing!

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You have to throw on first down half the time in the NFL. Even a mediocre defense will jell some when they know that you're running on first down all the time.

That's the way the ball bounces. The Jets don't make the playoffs last year if half the dropped int's on Sanchez were caught. Lady Luck just looked kindly on the Pats instead of the Jets this game.

There's a reason the Bills cut their #1 pick 2 years in.

Don't have a catchy comeback here other than Smith is not really a starting caliber safety, he's what you get there when your depth is poor.

Yep.

This is the depth issue again, alongside a really confused offensive scheme that basically does nothing well at this point and hasn't for years except in ground and pound - which isn't even the offense the offensive coordinator wants to run, just one he puts up with because his main plan sucks so royally.

This is apparently not confusion, it is the plan working out and a good QB dissecting it and finding the open man. Ryan's pass D this year is using a lot of deception and one of their main techniques is to give the illusion of coverage on a guy and abandon him after the first read.

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

The Jets O line and D line are both weaker than last year.

5. Br4d

Yep. The Jets trenches are the main reason they're 5-4 instead of 7-2.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think both the Jets and Pats have more glaring weaknesses than last year.

I think it's almost league-wide. The teams that can overcome the best will make a move. I think any that team makes the "tournament," as Tuna would say, in the AFC at least, has a shot to go to the big game.

7. Br4d

Yeah I could literally see any of NE, NYJ, Bal, Pit, Cin, Hou, Ten, and almost anybody from the west getting lucky in the playoffs and finding themselves in the Super Bowl.

There are no great teams in the AFC this year. The Steelers and Ravens come the closest and they're both headed for maybe 11 wins, 12 at the outside.

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Steelers and Ravens... the 2 I hate the most!

9. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

The Jets absolutely have the personnel, coaching staff, and overall talent to beat the Patriots in any given match-up.

The difference in 2011, in the two games they've played, is basically that Brady hasn't made many mistakes (his only INT against NY this year should have been a TD... the one that went through Hernandez's hands at the goal line and deflected right to Cromartie).

The Jets haven't done a good job pressuring him, I believe, because they've tried to bring heat up the middle, which is not the way you get to Brady. That allows him to shuffle and side-step and reset his protection. The called back TD to Gronk was the best example of that. How many times did he make throws Sunday with guys piled up at his feet? You need to pressure him from the outside, because he is not a good thrower on the run and is as slow a football player as you'll ever see in terms of foot speed.

On defense, the Patriots took what the Ravens did and used their own version of that. You can have street free agents cover receivers in man as long as you're getting very quick and consistent pressure. Sanchez doesn't seem comfortable yet going through progressions.

10. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

How are the Jets' tools better this year than last year? They have lost to the Pats twice this year.

11. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

Turning Point on Versus had a great segment with the Pats/Jets game. They showed what they were doing to Gronkowski at first which was having Calvin Pace hit him off the LOS and a safety cover him over the top. That worked for a while, but the pass rush suffered for it. Rex said to take Pace off of Gronk and rush the passer and then Gronk torched the Jets.

They also had the audio between Rex/Schotty/Sanchez during the timeout debacle. It was clear that Schotty said to call a timeout then Sanchez called it. But, Schotty wasn't finished yet as he then said to wait till the clock goes down. Rex goes nuts and Sanchez says: "I heard him say call timeout" to Rex after he comes over to the sideline.

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

If the Jets don't turn the ball over three times, shank a chip shot FG and fail to run the clock down before the half they have an excellent chance against the Patriots. But to say the Patriots are much weaker than last year and the Jets aren't is just ludicrous homerism.

13. Br4d

The Jets are definitely weaker than last year. The difference between Damien Woody and Wayne Hunter at RT alone is enough to sink an offense unless the offensive coaching staff is on it from day one and figuring out how to make a liability at RT go away. I don't think the Jets offensive staff is that good at this point.

14. Dierking

Not to mention last year Westerman and Mauga weren't seeing significant snaps.

15. 624

624 Banned

That probably should have been a touchdown, and the one on Sunday that hit Kyle Wilson in the numbers probably should have been a touchdown the other way. It evens out.

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Fuck man I hate agreeing with a Pats fan but your spot on.

I certainly think the Jets have the tools and players and coaching but the biggest difference between this year and years past is that in both meetings Belli has outcoached Rex and it's not even close. Usually Rex has been able to come up big in at least one of the games but he hasn't even sniffed Belli's jock this year. I think both teams regressed but I think the Pats took losing to the Jets in the playoffs personally and it showed. Everybody stepped up for the Pats in these two games and both times they played nearly flawless while the Jets were full of mistakes in all 3 phases of the game. The biggest key is getting pressure on Brady and the Jets couldn't make him the least bit uncomfortable last night, maybe it's personnel or maybe the Pats figured out better ways to stop it but it worked. I'm sure having the brain of Ellis to pick certainly helped with the blocking schemes.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

So are we supposed to say/think that Thomas being out is worse than most predicted it would be?

Perhaps...

18. Dierking

I certainly think so. Jets can be run on.

19. Namathian

Namathian New Member

I am absolutely certain that the Jets have the tools. Just some of our supreme tools: Ducasse, Mulligan, Smith, Schotty...

Seriously though, after the 1st halves of BOTH games against the Pats this year, I was confident of Jets wins (and I'm not a wahoo optimist by any means). The Jets simply seemed to have superior personnel. Needless to say, confidence gave way to disappointment.

Key reasons, in both games, were:

1. Self-inflicted brainfarting (they call 'em missed scoring opportunities, turnovers and penalties on TV).
    2. Getting out-coached. Some people were surprised that the Pats might go no-huddle. Really??
    3. Superior desire to win by the Pats. Our team looked flat as of midway in the 1st Q and the Pats looked really hungry. Might have something to do with the beatdown in last year's playoffs.

If these teams should meet again, it would be in the play-offs. If that were the case, I would have my money on the Jets and hope like heck that they don't give it away.

20. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Not sure how you were sure the Jets would win at halftime last Sunday, yet one of the reasons you give for them losing is that the Jets looked flat midway through the 1st quarter?