Peyton the answer?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DemoIsland, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/15/polian-manning-fine-with-drafting-a-quarterback/

Polian is also scouting stanford this week.

Is the concept shocking? Yes it is, but is it unrealistic? No, not at all. If the Colts are open to trading manning, then they are open to trading him. It's been almost half a century since this team won a championship, I only care about seeing the Jets win just one super bowl and if it takes paying a King's ransom to get Manning here for the end of his career to do it, then I am all for it. As much as I believe Rex is the man to do the job, I equally believe Mark Sanchez is not the QB that is going to get us a championship. We aren't going to have these core group of players forever; I don't want to end up like the Eagles of the 2000s, competitive every year but never getting to the top, and that is all we are with Sanchez right now, look at the QBs who have won the past super bowls, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Rothelisberger, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady. It's obvious we need an elite QB to win a superbowl, and Sanchez is nowhere near elite. The two outliers being Dilfer and Johnson, who had historically good defenses, and as good as ours is its not THAT good.

Can we really afford to stand pat for the next few seasons, with the hope, not the guarantee that Sanchez gets good enough to play at the level of the QBs i just mentioned? What happens when Revis' contract is up? Mangolds? Bricks? Holmes? NFL teams can hardly sustain a core group for long periods of time; this is a win now league, and we cannot win now with Sanchez. So I say if the oppourtunity presents itself to trade for manning we simply have to take it.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nope. He and his father are going to do everything they can to keep that from happening.

There's no percentage for him in going to an 0-16 team to try to walk in Peyton Manning's footsteps (imagine how good he would have to be there to be seen as a success) for a front office that has done nothing but live off of Peyton Manning for a decade.

The rookie wage scale is going to seal that deal. He's not making most of his money off of his first contract no matter what happens. the money is going to come off of the second deal and he needs to be healthy and successful to make that happen.

He's going to push for a really good team like the Steelers and settle for a quiet place like Seattle or St Louis. Indy is just a nightmare landing spot for him. both because of the existing talent base and the guy he'd be following.

It's not like it would be unprecedented for Luck to make this happen. Other people have done it in the past and Luck can just go back and finish his degree if he has too and re-enter the draft in 2013.

#42 Br4d, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

The Jets would be downright scary with Manning behind center.

4. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Nice! That is my point exactly. WIN NOW! It sounds stupid to everyone, but IF Peyton is ready to move on (which I honestly think he will do, should luck become a Colt) then the JETS need to jump all over it.

Whose to say Revis, or the other guys will be willing to stay around once contracts are up. That Eagles team is what the JETS team will be. And it sucks because nobody remembers you for making championship games, only winning Super Bowls.

And its completely fair to say, Peyton would turn this offense into a power house. There are good players at every position.

5. IATA

IATA Trolls

we opened the field up with an awful OL that was even worst due to injuries. that was destined to failure even with Peyton behind it. we opened the field up with 1 returning WR, 1 who was in prison for 2 years and a rookie. it was a fucking awful idea to begin with and rex realized that and went back to the team we were built as, a run first one.

why your ilk refuses to acknowledge outside factors when evaluating Mark, I'll never know. he's not the best qb around, thats a given and nobody has ever said that. he's also far from what you people continue to say. you act like he has the best OL in the league and has 3 Jerry Rices to throw to. in reality he's got a run of the mill/below average OL, with lots of unfamiliarity in the wr corps and a OC who can't manage to make meaningful changes to a game plan and wont call plays suited to his teams strength.

6. DeutschlandFan

DeutschlandFan New Member

You two have summed up my thoughts PERFECTLY!

7. IATA

IATA Trolls

peyton cant even throw the ball right now, we have no idea what he will be when he comes back or if he can take being tackled behind our porous OL.

8. Br4d

Polian can scout Stanford all he wants. He has no stick to make Luck go to the Colts and the carrots are now a lot less tasty also. I'm guessing the Colts get a call at some point from a friend of the family to tell them to win some games if they want a chance at Luck.

9. IATA

IATA Trolls

he's not going anywhere.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Boomer and Favre called, both love the idea.

11. IATA

IATA Trolls

mcnabb is touting this as a great idea, seeing as how he has won with so many franchises.

12. ........

........ Trolls

I can't picture the Luck family pulling an Eli and making demands as to where he will or won't play. That seems so out of character for him and everything I've been told about him.

13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

youre missing the point time and time again. Yes, the weaknesses you point out are real. However, with a healthy Peyton, it makes those problems wayyyyy less important.

14. DeutschlandFan

OK. I understand completely now. Mediocrity from the so-called "franchise QB" is acceptable to you. Having a QB that needs everything to go perfectly in order to have a chance a being successful is acceptable to you. A third year starter playing as if he is a clueless rookie is no big deal.
    Because after all, mediocre QBs regularly win championships. The best QBs are blessed with having all variable conditions perfectly in their favor at all times. And veteran QBs with "4 road playoff victories ©" regressing and playing like rookies for long periods at a time are nothing to be concerned about.
    Glad we got that cleared up.

15. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

You're right! We do not have 3 Jerry Rice's.

Cam Newton, Jay Cutler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Matt Hasselbeck do though.

Nice!

16. IATA

IATA Trolls

we have no idea if peyton will ever be healthy tho. he's had 3 surgeries on his neck in the last year, we dont know if he'll ever be what he was again. we dont know if he can take the hits anymore.

behind our line you know he will get hit alot, and with the money and picks rquired to get peyton, we deffinetly wont be making any changes to that line. it's too much of a risk and absolutly cripples our team.

17. IATA

IATA Trolls

cam newton is a running qb, jay cutler has better weapons and a much better oc, fitz sucks, dalton has a good line, smith has a good line, hasselbeck has a good link

Nice!

18. DeutschlandFan

Which is why IF he can prove that he is fully recovered and healthy that there is no way we should not go after him hard.

19. Br4d

Luck has already started the process, saying he wants to play close to his hometown in West Virginia. That was an obvious statement of preference for the Steelers who are just 77 miles away.

He's also said that Suck for Luck is a no go and that he wouldn't want to play for a team or fanbase with that mentality.

And the idea that Luck will not exercise his ability to pick his landing spot is almost ludicrous on the face of it. Of course he will. Who wants to be drafted into the weakest army going? Most guys don't have any leverage but Luck has a lot of it and he'll use it to steer himself to the best spot possible.

20. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

I am glad you cleared this up too. I mean Jay Cutler without a doubt has the worst offensive line in football, shitty WR and continues to play well. I am pretty sure he is out performing Sanchez. Its not Sanchez, its his OC, its his O-Line, its his WR. They all suck!

So many players would love to be in the position Sanchez is.