This team has taken a step back...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Atleast we have Holmes locked up longterm and Kerley should be here for awhile. Keller as always will probably remain a part of the future. What we need is a big #2 or 1b wideout next to Holmes. Unfortunately with our needs of a pass rusher and safety we probably wont use our 1st on a WR.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I wouldn't mind re-signing Sione Pouha to a cheap deal, but we need changes on the line.

Whether it's Kenrick Ellis or someone new.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Hey asshole, go take a look at Sanchez's progression over the last three years. His numbers have improved in every single category. The only one holding his ass back is that schmuck we have at O.C. (Not trying to turn this into a Schitty v. Sanchez debate)

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

I agree, there are a number of scenarios that could help this team, the FO just has to make it happen

My guess is, or am hoping, that we address safety in FA. Not too sure what will happen at WR- resigning plax/draft/FA

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Did you just call us noobs?

Kill yourself.

6. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

Ok, That is fair! I am not so sure it is 100% correct, but maybe...either way, something needs to change. A consistent offense is clearly necessarily to win a superbowl IMO.

7. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

I did call you noobs.

If the shoe fits...

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If the shoe fits, light yourself on fire.

You are on an opposing team's forum talking shit about something you clearly know nothing about.

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I saw this post coming from another one of your posts, most of us got it in the offseason and only hoped for the best when guys like Woody, Edwards and Ellis left. I will admit that I was way off on Mason thinking he'd come in and be 50+ catch guy and our 3rd down WR. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Everybody talked about Hunter the way a used car salesman talks about a Yugo. Yeah he as good in spot duty last year but many of us knew he wasn't a starting caliber RT yet many of us bought into the fact that based on a few decent games last year he was. He's a backup and at this point a liability.

I was watching Bart Scott last night when he was actually on the TV screen and thinking that this guy has fallen off big time. I'm sure he'll be back next year because Rex seems to be too loyal to his guys but talk about a guy who could be up for biggest disappointment of the year.

Quite honestly though I look at the QB play and see that as the biggest problem. If you have good QB play sometimes you can get by with having an ok defense or being weak in certain spots but when you get bad QB play it just compounds those issues. If this team got consistent play out of Sanchez I think a lot of those other weaknesses would not be so glaring. I see Sanchez locking onto a guy and when he doesn't see that 1st option open he looks to scramble instead of looking for another guy, I hardly ever see him hit guys in stride case in point the very first series when Holmes fell down, well of course he fell. It was a throw behind him and his momentum brought him down. If that ball is in stride he walks into the End Zone.

10. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, one draft wont fix the problems. The most glaring need is at Safety. As E said, with a weak Safety class ahead in the draft, we can't fix that problem unless a "Patrick Willis" becomes available.

Unless WR is super deep this draft, I would think to take OT or OLB higher (pass rush OLB is my first choice). There are plenty of WRs that have excelled that weren't drafted in round 1 or 2.

If the FO is smart enough to maintain consistency and re-up Plax, then we can get a decent depth WR without selling the farm.

Turner and Cumberland were much more important to this team than anyone realized until they actually went down. With Turner in at Center, we probably would not have had a 3 week debacle or at least minimize the damage. Cumberland isn't the WR that Keller is but he's definitely a better blocker. than Dustin.

My college football acumen ends there so my thoughts on the draft and what positions to draft are my opinions and therefore irrelevant and I have to defer to others.

11. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, they needed Sanchez to take the next step. Not be worse. If he was better then he was last season, and really coming into his own, they'd be in first place.

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Great post.

Only thing I would disagree with is stating that everyone on the front 7 has vastly underachieved. First, I think Pace is having a very good season as a whole.. the problem with him is that he isn't that top notch pass rusher everyone wants him to be. Secondly, I think Pouha got off to a slow start because of an injury, but lately he has been playing great. The run D has really clamped down lately, and when the Pats were running last night, it was when Pouha and DeVito were out and we were being no-huddled.

Besides them though, I totally agree. Bart Scott is a shell of the player he was. It's to the point now he isn't even on the field for large chunks of the game. Bryan Thomas was having a pretty poor season before his injury, and guys like Mauga and Westerman are not suitable full-time replacements at all.

On offense, the thing I absolutely 100% agree with is the constant musical chairs at WR throughout Sanchez's career. It's absolutely not the way you build up a young QB. And it's actually not even at WR, they've also given him basically 3 different starting RB's his 3 years in the league. The only constant in his time as Jets QB has been Keller. It's no coincidence that he has been their leading receiver this year.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Let's look from the offense:

1. TE Situation:

I do not think Keller should be a part of the long term future. My reasons are that:

a. Keller sucks big hairy goat balls when it comes to blocking. He is a liability in a run game, and that he is on the field tips your hand somewhat.

b. He is inconsistent.

For that reason, I think Jets should not resign Keller to a long term - maybe franchise then trade, but definitely not a long term solution.

After that, Mulligan. That's the flag-drawing road pylon Jets have at TE spot. He should be cut.

In lieu of these two, Jets should do well to get someone who can catch AND block. If they can get two, even better.

2. OL needs some serious restocking. The depth is so thoroughly depleted that it's not even funny. On top of that, Hunter/Slauson/Moore will need replacements. The sooner, the better. (Especially Hunter.)

3. I do not think Plax should be resigned. Instead I think either Braylon should be resigned (that would be optimal) or someone of Colston's calibre should be infused through free agency. This is because, we don't even know if Jets will even make it to the playoff - and wasting one year's worth of experience at WR on Plax is just not a smart move no matter how you look at it.

Summary: 1. OL should be a major priority. 2. TE should be close second. 3. Braylon is the 3rd.

On defense:

1. Bryan Thomas is not coming back. His replacement should be next year's #1 priority.

2. Upgrading both safety positions is the next move

14. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

He has come into his own and he has taken the next step. But the WR carousel needs to fucking end. Not having any OTAs with 2 new WRs and then SHIPPING ONE OUT is another fucking problem.

Sanchez is progressing but its baby steps. We all expected this Aaron Rodgers leap and its not going to come when you have 1 TE, 1 WR, and 4 OL guys that are consistent.

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing about Braylon. I would love for the F.O to go out and resign him. Him and Holmes also compliment each other very well, and Braylon finally gives us that deep threat that we need to spread the field.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Stop watching the football and watch everything.

You cannot expect perfect timing when the offensive line isn't doing their job.

17. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

I don't see a step back at all. We have the same problems as last year.

1. No Pass Rush at all.
    2. Smith isn't good enough to be an every down safety.
    3. Leonhard is good, but how can he really defend Gronkowski?
    4. Sanchez has not regressed, but he has not gotten any better
    5. Shitty play calling by Schotty at least partly costing us some games every year
    6. Jets get away from Running the ball in every game they lose
    7. Mulligan is Shit
    8. This team does not show up in big regular season games

I don't see any major new problems that we didn't have last year except for Wayne Hunter. There is no step back, but no step forward.

18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

First.. the guy who called us noobs.. I second Mr. E's notion that you light yourself on fire. You'll be doing society a favor.

Second, I don't have a problem with Pouha and DeVito at all up front. You really think Pouha is a problem? They do what they are supposed to do, which is stuff the run and clog up the line. Pouha especially has come on very strong lately imo. I totally see what you are saying that we could use a DT who can be more of an all-around player and get after the QB, but the reality is that those guys don't fall off trees. I wish we could have another Kris Jenkins, but unless we get a high draft pick we just won't be able to find guys like that.

I think the best way for the line to improve next year is for Wilkerson and Ellis to really improve and become the players Rex hopes they can be. Wilkerson has shown flashes of greatness this year, but he's also had some rookie moments, especially in run defense. Next year he will definitely be improved and more consistent.

I think the main areas we need to improve next year are going to be on offense a long-term WR to replace Plax in 2 years, and we need to evaluate the RB position. A decision needs to be made on if Greene/McKnight/Powell can get it done or if we need more of a playmaker.

On D we need a safety obviously, and probably 2 linebackers. It's not going to be easy to fix all these holes, but speed on the defense is an absolute MUST to fix.

19. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

First off,, saying Schotty should have been canned after Mangini, is a joke, considering he's been in the last two AFC Championship games. Secondly, you need impact players. The Jets have the best CB in the sport,,, the best C in the sport and possibly the best LT in the sport. After that, they don't have the best anything or close to it. I like Harris but he isn't the best LB in the sport. No dominant pass rusher, they pick up Maybin off the cut list and he's their best pass rusher. No dominant safety. No dominant RB.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

First off, I'm not ignoring the rest of your post. I will try to come back to it later. Right now though, I just have the time to respond the quoted segment.

I don't think Sione Pouha is a problem at all. I just feel like he limits the defense. The same goes for Mike DeVito.

In Baltimore, Ryan could move players around on the line. Ngata has the ability to play end and nose. Pouha is strictly a nose tackle because he doesn't have the athleticism and versatility to move outside. With all of that said, I think he's a very solid, somewhat underrated nose tackle. I just feel like we could upgrade at the position.

DeVito is a solid run stopper, but he's not talented enough to start in this league. He should be a rotational guy like Marcus Dixon and Ropati Pitoitua.

People seem to forget that Kris Jenkins was a mid-rounder. So, talent can be found later in drafts.

I'm glad you understand that I'd like to see more versatile, athletic players on the line. That's basically what I'm trying to get to when I say that Pouha and DeVito need to be upgraded. It's not that they're bad players. They just limit the scheme up front - that's why Ryan takes them out of games.