This team has taken a step back...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The majority of this fan base entered this year with incredibly unrealistic expectations. It was wrong to think that way.

Take a look at this roster - you'll see a lot of the same names and numbers.

Look harder...this isn't the same team...especially on offense.

This team has taken a step back.

The offense took a step back mainly because of these two reasons:

I'm not going to get into serious specifics with the defense, but our team speed is lacking in the front seven. Mo Wilkerson has been under-appreciated so far this season. David Harris is solid as always. Everyone else in the front seven has vastly underachieved. Outside runs have killed us. Tight ends have killed us.

Upgrades need to be made. Rex Ryan needs to step into the front office and rebuild his defense. Enough of this "I get one pick" bullshit. He needs to have input on every defensive player this team brings in.

It seems like after a loss, a lot of want to point a finger at a specific player or coach. That's not the case here.

Point the finger at the organization for thinking they were good enough to replace proven starters with has-beens and career backups. You can't do that in this league and expect to keep up. You will not remain a perennial contender when you replace key cogs with JAGs.

Maybe I needed to rant a little bit, but this is something that needed to be brought up.

Some of us discussed similar things in the off-season and it was kind of brushed aside by the majority here.

Again, I ask you all to look harder at this team. This team has far too many holes to be considered an elite team. This is a good team on the verge of becoming a elite and our front office didn't do anything to put us over the top.

#1 Mr Electric, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

This is pretty much everything I was saying after the Oakland game.

We're not as good as we were last year. We've taken step backs at key positions, we don't have the depth to withstand injuries, and we don't have young, talented backups ready to contribute and take the team to another level.

For a ground and pound team, having Mulligan as the best blocking TE is a joke. The OL has taken a step back, Hunter being a big part of it. LT is another year older. The receiving corps is worse. The linebacking corps is missing Thomas and doesn't have an every-down guy to replace him with.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Everything we've seen so far this year shows me that this is a team that's capable of getting a Wildcard spot again, but not much else.

The front office and coaching staff have done nothing to get us over the hump. No improvements anywhere on the roster...just decline in certain areas.

4. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

Mulligan is such a failure, it's not even funny.

What are our options right now? I don't even fathom how to handle that situation, he's THAT bad. How many blown coverages did he make on sunday?

5. JamesHasty40

JamesHasty40 New Member

I think we got better at Corner with Wilson getting a lot better but besides that i agree.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Stop reading the headlines and read the entire post. I didn't criticize our cornerbacks.

The front seven and the safety position need a serious face-lift in the offseason.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So it appears a choice has to be made. Do we continue with a "win now" philosphy OR do we go for steady improvement at key position with the addition of both youth and speed instead of "names". This, IMO, is a crucial question that Tanny, Rex and WoodyJ will have to sit down and work thru this offseason.

8. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

Easily the best post I've seen on the Jets yet.

Great teams don't have guys like Eric Smith, Wayne Hunter, and Jamaal Westerman starting.

The defense simply lacks talent. It needs speed and athleticism, and the best way to do that is to go defensive apeshit in the draft. OLB, FS, ILB, and NT all need to be addressed.

On offense, RT and WR are the clear needs. If the Jets can find a stud WR (Michael Floyd) in the first round, they need to make that happen.

Something like this would be good:

1) Michael Floyd WR
    2) Vinny Curry OLB
    3) Matt Reynolds OT
    4) FS
    5) ILB

Would really replenish the whole team.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

This team has the ability to win now. It just seems like our coaching staff and front office was overconfident in the current roster.

10. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Don't forget the injuries that cost us depth at positions where we were already weak. I'm talking about Rob Turner and Cumberland. Not that either of those 2 players were All-Pro's but look at the guys behind them!!

11. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

I guess Mulligan needs....

*puts on glasses*

a mulligan.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

But really this guy needs to be taken out... complete dogshit.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

This is a tough question... Because as each year passes, so does valuable years with our core group right now (revis, mangold, brick, harris and holmes) and its very hard to evaluate what to do

But all in all this team has regressed and as a team, we are terribly inconsistent in pretty much all areas, and until we can fix this, we will not get over the hump of just a WC team

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Right. They should all be depth players. These guys have no business starting in this league.

Well, we have the best cornerback in the game. There's plenty of athleticism and speed at corner with Cromartie and Wilson behind Revis.

This current depth chart needs to be lit on fire after the season. No one except for Revis, Wilson, Harris, and Wilkerson should be safe.

A solid draft won't fix this. It will certainly help, but it can't fix everything.

I think the Jets have to fix the offensive line over everything. Andre Carter's stat line last night solidified my thought on this.

I'd rather have a high quality veteran tackle over a rookie.

Again, a solid draft will not replenish the entire team. As much as I'd love to see a potential #1 wideout drafted, a pass rusher or another 3-4 lineman would be hard to pass on.

Drafting a safety in the fourth round won't fix a damn thing. 2012's safety class is incredibly weak. Drafting an inside backer that late will just give us another Josh Mauga or Nick Bellore. We need starters, not depth.

A lot of fan favorites and current starters need to be replaced. Leonhard, Scott, and Pouha are three specific players that I can see being replaced.

#13 Mr Electric, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  14. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

The New York Jets with Carson Palmer as their QB = a Super Bowl caliber team.

Your problems are very simple, you need a good QB and your wonder boy Sanchez is not him.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Oh look, a non-Jet fan chiming in. I'm sure you know more about my favorite team than I do.

Thanks for the faggoty input, now GFY.

16. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

In terms of athleticism I was talking about the front-7. The LB core especially lacks elite athletes. Scott has been off the field for a good portion of 3rd down plays so far this season.

I agree that it needs to be a combination of draft and free agency. There are only so many draft picks to use. Maybe signing a guy like Robert Meachem and addressing 3-4 OLB in the first..or signing Cliff Avril at OLB and drafting Michael Floyd. Maybe sign Tyvon Branch who would be an immediate upgrade in the secondary.

There are any number of ways the Jets could improve this team drastically in one offseason (especially with the significant amount of cap room), I just think they have to go out and do it.

17. JetsFanatic389

JetsFanatic389 New Member

people were banking on Sanchez to be good...that didn't work out too well

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

I agree that Leonhard, Scott should be replaced, although I wouldnt mind resigning Pouha if he comes cheap for depth because leaving all of the responsibility on Ellis might not be the best idea.

The reason I dont think we will have a major turnover on defense is simply because of Rex's loyalty- its the only reason why Eric Smith is starting for an NFL team. I dont think Rex will let go of Leohnard (who's only purpose is calling defensive assignments, which yesterday was absent) and Scott (who is Rex's reincarnation on the field). I highly doubt we will have over 3 new starters on defense who arent already on this team next year.

A signing like Michael Griffin or Laron landry would be awesome but I doubt it.

We really need to hit on this draft, because we can not afford to take another step back. Im hoping for a WR in the 1st or 2nd (not a fan of floyd- has character issues) but we also need a passrusher and Oline help

19. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

Dude, go play some solitaire or something.

20. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

So I guess Mark Sanchez is still your golden boy? Guess what Pal...He sucks! As long as you have him leading your team, you will not accomplish anything.

The time out before halftime should already solidify the above statement. You noobs knock your Defense, how about you give them a break from time to time by not going 3 and out so often, or throwing picks into the arms of the defenders.