We need more Terminator

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royce Parker, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Why is it that Connor seems to be used so sparingly this season? It seemed very apparent tonight that when we ran out of a single back set we were much less successful than when we had the Terminator in there to throw the lead block.

With T-Rich having been so key to the success of the run game in the past, I would expect to see a lot more of Connor than we have. Was it just me or did almost all of our most successful run plays tonight include Connor lead blocking? I'm really baffled as to why he isn't in there much more often than he is. It's no secret that our TEs aren't great at run blocking, so why aren't we seeing more of the Terminator?

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I was saying the same in the GDT. The running game sucked when Connor wasn't out there. I agree 100%.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

John Conner*

4. Royce Parker

Lol, and I always get annoyed when other people misspell players' names - doh!

5. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

I'm torn. He's still not all there yet, but a bit of a decline in Tony and the promise of Connor is/was understandably to much for the team (considering the roster spot/money).

I just think not only with Moore poor play for most of the year and no more Woody (who was excellent), that they also really miss Richardson. Not saying T-Rich would've had our running game on track, but I think it would've been a bit better and I think the locker room would've been a lot better.

6. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Its the way we use him. We really do tip our hand and tell the defense if its a run or a pass based on personell. We rarley use terminator on passing downs, and when we do it is always off of some run action or in combo with a max protect set. I have yet to see him chip on a DE and head out to the flat (I know his hands are suspect). I would also like to see him more involved in our gameplan but the way we use him is a clusterfuck to say the least. What I would like to see is some 2 back sets with Joe McKnight and LT in the backfield. Tosses/pitches,sweeps.screens, both running into the flats. This would really open up the middle of the field for Keller and Holmes over the middle. Come on Schotty!

7. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

Conner needs to keep his eye on the ball when the kickoffs are short. He was ready to block for McKnight instead of being ready to return the kickoff. Good thing the defense was ready for that series. PICK TO THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The running game has a fever...and the only prescription is more Terminator!

9. Royce Parker

It's true that we tip our hand when he's in there - it's pretty obviously going to be a run - but yet we still have success. This is exactly what Rex had been preaching until the offense suddenly went pass-happy this season: Line em up and shove it down their throats.

That's what ground and pound is all about, the other team knows you're going to run it on them and they still can't stop you from picking up yards. Schotty's bullshit trickery obviously isn't fooling anyone so what's wrong with lining up in a traditional power running formation if it's working so much better?

I don't have Tivo/DVR so I can't go back and break down the stats for run plays with or without Conner in the backfield, but I bet if you did the results would be very telling.

10. GangGreenKing

GangGreenKing New Member

we do need him

11. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

he got on the Verizon/NFL mobile commercial.

even if it is him getting stuffed by Clay Matthews

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Stop it. .

13. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

You know how the main knock on all young running backs is "he needs to improve his pass protection?" That applies to fullbacks, too.

Right now, like many young backs, Conner doesn't have a niche in the passing game. He isn't an effective receiver (yet) and he isn't an effective pass protector (yet). So when John Conner is on the field, you're telegraphing your plays: it's either a power run, or a passing play with below average back protection.

I think his run blocking has developed noticeably over the course of the season. He wasn't always finding a block earlier on, but he seems to be engaging defenders a little more naturally as his second season wears on. As he becomes a more natural run blocker, Greene and the other backs will feel more confident running with their hands on his back. Not quite there just yet.

The kid's developing. It'll take time.

14. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Should've read this first.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The only back that has a role in our passing game is LaDainian Tomlinson.

For some reason, Schottenheimer doesn't like to throw to the backs. Very few swings and screens. The quick passing scheme that he runs doesn't really require a checkdown.

I feel like Conner can pass protect. He does well on those PA rollouts that usually go the tight end. He's definitely not a top-level pass protector yet, but he's capable.

The scheme is to blame in this situation. The backs aren't utilized in the passing game. I'd really like to see McKnight and Conner get some targets. It will take some pressure off of Sanchez.

16. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

conner is sketchy. he is still a young player, and hasnt had much experience...but you see him dish out some fantastic blocks, and then you see him completely fuck up blocks for the run/passing scenarios.

also he needs to grow some balls, and catch a 4 yard pass.

nothing better than a fullback whom can perform above average in pass protection/leading the way for a runningback, and be able to catch a simple 4-10yard pass.

17. 624

624 Banned

Fullback's historically take a long time time to develop into a finished product, Conner will be a good one.

18. Royce Parker

Is it just that one painful drop on 3rd down that you're referring to or were there others? I don't remember him being thrown to at all other than that one play.

19. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

THIS plus the other post about tipping our hand are so key. And sorry, but the problem does lie with the schemes called. Like E, I think Conner is capable (maybe not great but definitely capable) pass protecting back. And McKnight on more screens would be fucking fantastic.