NFL Players Poll re: Who is Overated

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Wahoo, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Sanchez was third, behind Tebow and Romo (surprisingly Brady made the list). Anyway, this made me think about this past week - Eli Manning throws a big pick late in the game, but brings his team back to win, and the talk is that "Manning is moving towards being elite", Sanchez throws a bad pick, guides his team to a win, and the story is "Sanchez has to stop making mistakes". I know Manning has the ring, but I really don't think he is an elite QB. I initially poo-pooed the supposed "anti-Sanchez bias", but now I'm starting to wonder. As Harry Carson said the other day "all the guy does is win games".

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sanchez is paying for Rex's mouth and posing in GQ.

If he was on any other team and not slinking around in cashmere he'd be widely seen as a rising star.

BTW, he's not the first young QB to pay for his environmental deficiencies. Anybody who has watched Terry Bradshaw as a broadcaster understands that he's a pretty smart guy, albeit in a goofy kind of way. He was widely considered to be really stupid as a player though, culminating in Hollywood Henderson's famous "couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the c and the t" comment in 1978.

Bradshaw was the lightning rod for a lot of people's frustrations with dealing with the Steelers in general.

#2 Br4d, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Compare Manning's numbers this season to Sanchez's. There's really no comparison.

As usual, the voters in this poll have confused "overrated" with "person I don't like." Sanchez is an average quarterback who gets talked about like he's Tavaris Jackson. If anything he's underrated.

4. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Bingo

5. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

6. Br4d

The appropriate comparison though is to compare Sanchez numbers this year with Eli and Big Ben's numbers in 2006.

It's amazing that people have lost the context when they deal with Sanchez at this point. He unfavorably compares to a lot of guys who have been in the NFL for 7+ years so he's a failure. That's because people want to see him as a failure. It makes them feel better somehow.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Sanchez is scrutinized more than any QB I can remember in recent memory.

8. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

That's what happens when you are the #5 overall draft pick and playing in New York.

9. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Spot on. I can't think of one person outside of Jets fans who over-rates him, to be honest.

10. Br4d

Well Rex keeps saying: "LOOK AT US! LOOK AT US! LOOK AT US!"

It's not surprising that the Jets get a lot of scrutiny. If they win a Super Bowl they'll shut the detractors up. Until then Sanchez is going to draw a lot of hate.

11. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

As long as he keeps winning I don't care if he's overrated, underrated, or is voted "would look best in a dress."

12. nyjunc

It's unfair, he gets scrutinized more than Eli who was the #1 overall pick and forced his way out of SD.

Sanchez is a good QB, you don't win the way we have the last 2+ years w/ poor QB play yet some people act like he is Scott Zolak.

He is absolutely underrated, it hink he was a top 10 QB last year despite non-top 10 #s. Some people don't understand how to evaluate QBs. This year I think he is playing better lately as the OL has gotten healthy but he was not as good as last year earlier in the year despite better #s(outside of the Baltimore game)

13. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

The stats are not THAT lopsided:

Sanchez 149/259 54% 1775 yds 13 tds 7 ints rating 84

Manning 176/280 61% 2377 Yds 15 tds 6 ints rating 98

14. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Has much scrutiny did Eli get prior to winning the Super Bowl? It was brutal.

Sanchez wins one, and all that goes away.

15. nyjunc

He's had more than Eli and has had more success than Eli prior to that nice 4 game run in the '07 playoffs(his only playoff wins of his career).

16. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

how can sanchez be overrated when everyone outside of NY thinks he sucks and is overrated? joe beningo went off on monday about sanchez getting criticized. fast forward to the 2nd half of the clip I'm going to post. it's toward the end.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2Fredirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2Fd0%2Fd0%2FdZ%2Fd5%2FdZ%2FdD%2FZ5ZD_3.MP3%3Fauthtok%3D5561611378317468102_YuosX3FTrbKRm01ISkEdgp9iGKI&podcast_name=11-07+Carl+Banks+with+Joe+and+Evan&podcast_artist=Joe+and+Evan&station_id=62&tag=pages&dcid=CBS.NY

couldn't agree anymore.

17. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

That's subjective about the scrutiny.

And what is more impressive, 4 playoff wins including a Super Bowl victory over a heavily favored team, or 4 playoff wins consisting of 2 WC games and 2 Division games.

Eli will always get a pass for that 4-game playoff run in '07.

18. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I don't think you're remembering Eli's early years very accurately. When the Giants kicked Kurt Warner to the curb for him and he struggled out of the gate, Manning was a pariah. He took almost non-stop criticism until the Super Bowl run.

Sanchez may take a little more heat because people generally dislike the Jets way more than the Giants, but the press used to kill Eli also.

In my opinion, the difference in completion rates and yardage are pretty significant.

It's irrelevant though. I'm generally happy with Sanchez's performance, and I don't give a shit if players think that he's overrated. Players are stupid.

19. casman02

casman02 New Member

The difference in completion is not as much as he listed. Eli is at 62.9 and Sanchez is actually at 57.5.

Eli is having the better season, no doubt. But I do not feel he is blowing Sanchez out of the water

20. Shemy

Shemy Member

he still wins best dressed so eat shit haters