Cotchery asks for and is granted his release

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Aug 4, 2011.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

wait for this thread to be resurrected though as soon as a WR goes down with an injury.

2. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Don't say that lol

3. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

I know cotchery thought he would have a better chance with another team but the truth was he would have been used alot more if he stayed with the jets

4. LiveFromThe718

LiveFromThe718 New Member

It's kind of sad how he's languishing in Pitt. He made his bed though.

Lots of people were none too pleased when he left. Then there was the group who figured its be ok w/ Mason.

Kerley has done the job well thus far. Not much reason to assume he won't keep it up.

Cap tip Tanny.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, he has 4 catches and Ellis has 5 tackles and no sacks..get the picture? (I deleted what I really wanted to say)

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Well, since Kerley has 13 receptions for 103 yards and a touchdown, and the fact that he's a rookie getting much-needed playing time for his development into a Cotch-like player for Sanchez for years to come, I'd say we made the right call.

7. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Ellis is getting paid almost a million dollars per tackle

8. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

cotchery was probably my favorite the jet during the time he was here, but i have to say... fuck him for quitting on this team.

1million per bruised rib

9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

- Can't blame Ellis for leaving. This was the last chance for him to cash a big check before retiring & there was a big difference between Jets & Pats deals.

- Cotchery .... just blew it. He didn't wanna be a Jet anymore. I'll appreciate what he did for this team but there's no remorse @ all while he's languishing over in Pitt. He wanted out. It all worked out for the Jets because Kerley has really been impressive.

10. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I think some of us get emotional attachments to certain players based on their play, what they say in the media, and the back stories written about them.

I'm kinda heart broken over Cotch. He was an Ellis type of player for us, always the good soldier, always humble, always positive. He made some huge plays for us over the years. I always thought he would retire playing for one team - ours. So I feel bad he's in the position he is in. However, I understand he wanted out and he didn't want to be relegated to the 3rd or 4th WR on this team. Now he's lower than that.

Ellis definitely went for the check, and you can't blame him since the end is near for him. I'd still welcome him back for a 1 day contract to be retired a Jet. Same for Crotchery.

11. WillBBC

WillBBC Member

Well said. I'd definitely take them back on a one day contract. So many contributions over the years. Cotch had some huge plays against the Pats.

12. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Didn't you hear? Patsfans said all year that Cotchery was the best receiver ever and Plaxico could never replace his production. Also Haynesworth, Ellis, and Ihedibo were the second coming and Belichick would use his magical powers to get them to play at a high level.

13. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I've got no hard feelings towards Cotch. Yeah, it sucked to see him go on those terms, but he was solid while he was here and made some big plays. Seemed to be a blue collar guy. I guess like Leon Washington, he overestimated his value in the league.

I still think of him in positive terms, but we're better off with Kerley at this point since he's younger and his ceiling his higher at this point in his career.

14. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

I just remember the catch he made last year after falling down, popping up to catch the pass, taking a monster hit while doing so.

Regardless of his decision, he was a positive piece to have around.

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Don't forget to put Ocho on that list. It's pretty clear that the media are moving way off the "BB is a magician" mantra, but I understand why Pats fans wouldn't want to - if he's just a good coach, the Pats are down to only Brady as a real point of superiority, and while that's still a big deal it still has to be scary for the future.

Anyone who blames Ellis for taking the ridiculous contract the Pats offered him is crazy - who wouldn't want an extra $3+ million just to change the color of his uniform when he knows this is his last contract? Having said that, his poor performance shows that Tannenbaum had him correctly priced, and BB didn't.

I think the parallel with Leon is very apt - they were both strong contributors and good citizens, but ultimately eminently replaceable in terms of football contributions. In a salary cap league general managers can only afford to think in those terms, and they (or their agents) were foolish enough not to realize that. Once again, Tannenbaum deserves credit for pricing Cotchery correctly. Indeed, I'm trying to think of someone who the Jets let go in recent years who has gone elsewhere and outperformed the money the Jets were willing to pay them - are there any?

16. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Jonathan Vilma

John Abraham

First two to come to mind.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Four years ago and six years ago, respectively, which is pushing the "recent years" a bit. Abraham, in particular, being six years ago and landing Mangold as a result was not IMO a bad deal at all, and the Jets actually officially offered him quite a bit of money (he was designated franchise player before they traded him). Vilma has certainly outperformed what the Jets thought he could do after the injury.

18. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Kerley has been the clutch 3rd down possession receiver on a lot of drives lately. Might not be getting the huge yards but he's hanging on to the ball and moving the sticks.

There was one drive in the SD game where he got 3 clutch 3rd down conversions. Good to see him get the playing time and experience and helping to win games.

#458 James Calvin, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yeah, that's why I've pretty much forgotten about Cotchery since Kerley became the #3.

Plax is starting to make me forget about Braylon, too.

20. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Vilma Yes.

Abraham - no - he was great when healthy and that wasn't that often. He had his panties in a bunch since he got here. No love for JA.

Vilma getting sent off was a product of Mangina not knowing how to use him. Scott, Vilma, Harris would have been sick-deadly as an LB core for a few years.

Its going to take a lot more for me to feel that way. While Plax is definitely the jump ball threat the Jets never had, Braylon's all around contributions were greater than Plax's current abilities. Maybe at the end of the season I can eat crow on my statement but I stand by it now.