Midseason Progress Report

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockefella, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Now that the regular season is halfway through what are your areas that need improvement/changes going forward, I'll start:

1. Throw the ball downfield more. This year more than any other from memory Refs are throwing flags for any detectable contact down the field. With guys like Burress and Holmes on the roster send them deep and take a shot. Worst case scenario, an incompletion or a long INT that may as well be a punt. Jets are just not capitalizing on the easy penalty yardage that other teams use against the Jets being that the DBs are physical and play close man coverage.

2. WR/TE packages. Mulligan is a fucking joke, just cut the bum. Keller only seems to be utilized on play-action bootlegs it seems. I'd like to see Sanchez target Keller over the middle more with quick passes. Kerley reminds me a lot of Wayne Chrebet. Would love to see him get more looks as the slot receiver. He's sure handed, quick, and has great field vision that could lead to a nice chunk of YAC.

3. Speed at LB. The cactus may have been dug up for the season but the LB are slow to get to the edge. I've lost count of the number of times a RB has been hit in the backfield only to break it outside and gash the D for 20+. It happens at least once a game. Maybin is a demon on his feet but his run support has been suspect. I imagine when DeVito comes back the run D should improve. That being said the Jets need to snag an OLB with next year's first round pick. If you need to trade up to get your guy, go for it.

4. Safety play. Leonhard, Zebra, and Pool are all pretty good in their own right but it feels like Rex can't find a great fit for them. Smith may as well be an undersized LB while Leonhard is too undersized to play free safety. He makes up for his size with scrappyness and heart (because he's white) but there is something left to be desired. If Kerry Rhodes wasn't such a pussy the defensive secondary would be godlike. Pool is replaceable and I don't expect him back next season.

5. Sanchez's costly mistakes. We saw it again yesterday. He strings together a textbook drive that goes for 10 minutes and gives it away with a boneheaded pass to the defense in the red zone. I like how he has improved this season but if the Jets plan on winning a superbowl he has to eliminate the big mistakes that cost the team wins. Ball security is an issue too, I believe he's got 5 fumbles on the year. Hopefully the OL keeps up their play as of late and Sanchez gets more comfortable and consistent going forward.

#1 Rockefella, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

Agree with everything above, with a heavy emphasis on setting the edge and containing those outside runs. It seems like schotty has heard the consensus and has opened up the passing play book a little. Very happy with that improvement but he must keep mixing it up. Holmes and Keller could def be used a little more. I'm happy with Sanchez. Its very frustrating to see those mistakes but looking at his game as a whole he's doing a great job.

The one thing that I think is most important however,

Penalties: I'm not sure if its true, but I think we lead the league in penalties. I know in the beginning of the season we definitely were. The frequency has gotten a little better but they still come during important plays throughout each game. We got to clean that up or it will cost us.

3. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Absolutely. The team can look great for huge spans at a time but shoot themselves in the foot with dumbass penalties. It seems like they go 1 step forward 2 steps back for drives at a time. In the first half yesterday it seemed like they'd get a nice chunk of yardage on first down only to draw a penalty and look at 2nd and 17.

4. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

yuppp... i was screaming at the top of my lungs at the TV when mulligan took that penalty... greene cant catch a break.

really happy with him too BTW... hes punishing ppl and dragging the pile
    keep blocking for this guy and he will prove to everyone that he is the workhorse we need.

i hate to be too optimistic but its hard not to be right now...
    we're hitting our stride, bills and pats are exposed...

if we keep playing Jets football we're gonna be hard to beat

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

We got a bunch of PI calls go our way the last two games.

6. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

We are 19th in number of penalties, and 22nd in penalty yards.

I've watched other games, and it seems like penalties cause problems for other teams too. It's kind of been like that for the past 80 years or so.

BTW, the pats are #3 in penalties this year, Detroit is #1, etc etc.

#6 James Calvin, Nov 7, 2011
  7. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I would suppose that once Shawn Nelson gets comfortable in the system, he will be the replacement.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

8. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Statistically I'm sure they're not the worst but if there was a metric for 'Penalties at the most inopportune times' they'd be pretty damn close to the top.

9. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

If you were a Bills fan, you'd probably be saying the same thing about the bills penalties yesterday. PI penalties in the end zone were huge and set up a couple of our scores.

f you were a SD fan watching the game before, you'd think the same too. Jets had a TD drive that was made of about 4 SD PI penalties, etc etc.

I agree, penalties suck and can kill offensive drives as well as extend scoring drives against our defense. But we also often benefit from it when the other teams commit penalties.

10. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

It seems to me that we need to get pure speed receiver out there every one in a while on 1st and 2nd downs that can get 30-40 yards down field and try to win a footrace. Even if he doesn't get the ball thrown to him, he might be able to pull the safety out of zone if he can get a few steps on the corner back.

After checking out depth at WR, we are really really thin there. After Plax, Tone, and Kerley, the only other 2 we have are Patrick Turner and Eron Riley (who?).

11. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

I think WR or Safety needs to be addressed in the first round more so. Plax is old and who knows if he wants/will stay around next year. Eric Smith is really good at tackling and hitting people, in coverage, he's lost. They need a ball hawking safety with big play potential.

An OLB who can rush the QB is no doubt a need, but I think you can find guys in the 2nd/3rd round who can do that.

12. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I don't know.. wide receivers are a dime a dozen and can be had pretty cheap. Holmes came here for a 5th round pick. Guys like Braylon are getting paid about a million a year on one-year deals. I'd prefer going WR in the second round.

How many elite OLB/passrushers even exist in this league? 5? Give Rex his dominant OLB so he doesn't have to send 7 players to get pressure. Pace and Thomas are getting older and slower. Kerley looks like he'll be a staple while Holmes and Keller are probably here long-term. A big target can be found in FA/trade.

13. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Yeah, I guess. I just think you're either going to get a guy like Braylon, who has had off the field issues, or a stud who is going to cost a fortune. Getting a guy through the draft can be had for cheap now with the new rules and hopefully without any off the field problems.

14. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Too risky I think. I mean every pick is a crapshoot but it makes me nervous when guys like Crabtree, DHB, Buster Davis, Ginn, etc don't live up to the hype.

15. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

How many rookies receivers are coming into the NFL this year that are having breakout seasons?

If we draft one we'll still want veteran starters. I'd like to see them extend Plax roar at least another year, providing he continues to improve/ plays well/ stays healthy. It would be great for continuity too.

Same goes for safeties.

My favorite play of the bills game was when Plax caught the ball at the 5 and paused when there were 2 DB's between him and the end zone. Then he just beasted over them for the extra yards. Should have been called a TD.

#15 James Calvin, Nov 7, 2011
  16. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

AJ Green, Torrey Smith and Julio Jones are pretty good. Otherwise, not many. But, I see your point.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Mulligan and Hunter kill drives with false start penalties. It seems to happen every game.

Also, Rex needs to get more organized with his substitutions. This team has had way too many illegal substitution penalties.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

AJ Green was called the next Randy Moss when he was in the 8th grade. I'm not surprised at all by the success he's having.

He's the most polished receiver to enter the draft that I've ever seen...ever.

Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson were faster, more physical gifted players...but Green's further along with body control and route running.

He will be a top tier wideout for the next decade.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Plax traded 2 huge money making years for 3 hots and a cot. Look for Plax to try and get a end-of-career pay day from some team be it from the Jets or from someone else.

Plax has re-emerged into the NFL on a one year deal, and the more 3 TD games he has, the more millions some team will offer him next year.

Just my guess.