Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I believe someone asked Rex permission about interviewing Callahan this offseason for a better position. I'll find the story. Rex denied it though.

http://www.examiner.com/new-york-jets-in-new-york/jets-deny-titans-permission-to-interview-callahan

^ Titans wanted him for OC. With their running game and a new QB, he would have a chance to prove his abilities.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I cheated: Plax.

Its no lie Plax was being shitty after 2 years out of the NFL.

Its about time they used him correctly in the red zone, and its about time he started hustling.

He has the ability to do the same against Buffalo.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I haven't been here in a couple of weeks thanks to work blocking me from getting here.

The trick play with LT throwing against Miami was one of the worst plays I've ever seen called. It was absolutely infuriating, and risked getting Sanchez seriously hurt. Beyond that, the last two games have been called great.

I'm assuming, based on the posts I've read, that no one paid any attention to what Rex said in his postgame presser yesterday. I can't recall his exact words, but it was to the effect of "I was enamored with all of my toys and I wanted to play with them." He was referring to having a third year Sanchez, along with Holmes, Burress, Mason, Keller, Kerley and LT to play air games, rather than run the football.

The Jets have clearly recommitted to the ground and pound identity of the team. That's what they need to do. The line is blocking for Greene well and he's getting reasonable yardage. That's key, because as I've pointed out in the past, and Ray Lucas reiterated on the postgame yesterday, Sanchez is excellent at the play-action pass.

I've compared Sanchez to Pennington on play-action, and I stand by that now. When the running game makes an opposing defense respect it, it gives Mark the opportunity to run those fakes. He's great, just like Chad, at selling it. Plus, he's more mobile and has a better arm than Chad, which gives him an edge there.

He's still woefully inaccurate though, and that really bothers me. He has to get better at hitting his targets.

Again, the key is running the ball at will. Get Greene the touches. Get LT and McKnight involved. Make defenses respect it, and suddenly you get one-on-one coverage situations for one or more of Holmes, Burress, Kerley, and Keller. Then Sanchez gets to play catch and let the receivers make magic.

It all starts with the line blocking well for the running game. Execution. Greene himself actually talked about better execution this week.

I'm still not very comfortable with the overall performance of the offense, but what I saw the last two weeks, and especially this week, are encouraging. It just sucks that we're in the bye week now, so all of these guys are home for the next week not practicing. It's the perfect time to capitalize on recent success, but it is what it is.

Hopefully they'll come out of the off week ready to go. It's a big stretch the next 4 games with 3 of them against the two teams ahead of us. We need to take 3 of them.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Does Plax shooting himself in the foot really surprise you?

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You mean how the D got punked in those games? BS did not lose the Champ games. I guess your memory is not all that great.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

so you remember when our D blew the AFC Title Games? and blew 2 of the 3 games in that 3 game losing streak?

7. Big Blocker

8. Big Blocker

What Plax was talking about is that he says BS and Ryan stuck with him, working with him in practices and helping him get up to speed.

It goes into the mix.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

YOU replied to my comment on why I don't look at the coaches career in college football as a reason to hire or not in the NFL, it was YOU who said that I must and it was YOU who called his career a train wreck of a disaster.

I agreed with you that some of his tactics were not right and he could have handled them better.

I just provided a reply to the statements you made, some I agreed with you on, others I refuted with facts, and let's not forget how this was started.

Big asked me to read an article on Callahan and asked why the love for him and did I know his past?

It's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

Did it have some flaws? yes.... Is it so flawed that we should not give him a chance? no

Sorry for putting words in your mouth in regards to him not being a good OC.

I have a question for you Z, would you like to see Callahan given a chance as the OC for the Jets? and if no why not?

10. Big Blocker

My first point about Callahan and Nebraska is that you can't ignore what happened there. What lessons you want to take away from it, how much you want to minimize the problems he had there, well, I guess we can debate that. But my recollection is your original assessment of him left out that whole four year period, which sure did not end well.

Couple more points about Nebraska - this is after all one of the bigtime college football programs. Getting an overall record of 27-22, with three of those victories against schools from lesser divisions, hardly counts as success for them. His two losing seasons were two of their worst seasons in decades. While he showed improvement in years two and three, his fourth year, the year he was fired, was a clear regression.

Ftr I do not make these points to say BS should retain his job. I merely think when BS leaves, my strong preference is they find someone other than Callahan. At a minimum those who think it's a no brainer to change out Schotty for Callahan need to acknowledge the skeletons in Cally's closet.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Big, I AGREE WITH YOU AND Z that he had problems in Nebraska, but he also had success and it's not fair to dismiss either one just so we can prove our points, I was just trying to be balanced in my assessment of him.

If we do make a change in OC I would be willing to give him a chance because he had success at the NFL level and some success at college.:up:

12. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

He is..But I think part of the problem is his decision making..He tries to throw it to a WR/TE who isn't open when if he goes through his progressions there are other options that are open -- RB underneath, WR or 2nd TE on the other side of the field...

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He said he isn't a team that other teams can pillage coaches because he's building something special here. He denied permission for Oakland to interview Dennis Thurman.

But for Callahan's name to be on the Titans list, it certainly shows that he's being noticed once more.

14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

and this is going to be our downfall.... had shotty left to take a job elsewhere, we'd be SB favorites

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Nebraska is a powerhouse school - do you even understand what that means? Nebraska is basically sucking up all the football talent around the entire region, not just Nebraska. College football is not a parity-driven league like NFL.

Tom Osborne posted a record of 255-49-3, with conference record of 160-23-2. For a school of that much of a tradition, recognition and regional recruiting power, THAT is a norm.

How did Bill fare during his 4 years at Nebraska? 27-22 record... All right. His conference record? 15-17. I am not even saying 27-22 is anything spectacular. Whatever he pulled up there is nothing short of a colossal disaster.

Case in point? Osborne never posted losing conference record ever. Even when Cornhuskers were not ranked top 10 in BCS, Osborne never posted less than 9 wins a season during his tenure - that is, even in his early years, he always managed 9-win and 10-win seasons.

As for Callahan, he posted losing conference record twice in 4 years, and he posted ONE 9-win season. (What was the normal bad season for Osborne happened to be the peak performance from Callahan.)

So am I making it much worse than it actually is? Go figure.

2. Hell no. Just no way in hell I want to see that happen. I have told you what it might mean to have Callahan at OC. His offense will require a cerebral, seasoned veteran to run like it's supposed to. Remember how Oakland offense crumbled once Gannon went out with injury. I don't think Sanchez at this point of his career has enough experience to deal with the kind of bullshit Callahan will throw at him.

16. Big Blocker

I think we've said enough on this subject for now.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Did you guys know that Bill Callahan coached at Nebraska?

18. Big Blocker

Heh!

One other thing that Zach said that is coming back to me, Rich Gannon had some issues with toughness toward the end as his age and injuries piled up. But he was a smarter than average Qb. Putting aside my opinion on that, and more to the point he was a very experienced one by the time he got to Oakland. He was in fact already 34 his FIRST year with the Raiders.

I would submit it is hard to argue that Gannon's career with Oakland has many obvious parallels to Mark Sanchez at this point of his career, and ftr I STILL credit Gruden with the success of the Oakland O more than I do Cally. This completely goes with Zach's take on Cally's history with Qb's and scheming for them.

In short, Mark Sanchez at this point of his career is not a long term vet, putting aside how smart he is (and I don;t think we can say he is clearly above average in taht dept.). You can't draw much from what happened in Oakland as far as predicting future success for Cally as OC for the Jets.

19. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Schotty sucks and if not for Moore babysitting him on Sunday, we would have lost again. SO, stay classy schotty lovers because your favorite OC will be gone after the season ends.

$2 million per year saved and Maybe a QB gets a decent chance at progressing.
    BooYahhh!!!!

20. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]