Batman: Arkham City

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Vorrecht, Oct 10, 2011.

1. 316ROW13Seat20

316ROW13Seat20 New Member

Repell away.....

2. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

i felt the first one was a bit like that until i made it a point to not try and just smash buttons. if you make it a point to actually try combos without going all button mashy, does the game respond well to it? is it different than the first one in terms if the fights?

3. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

the key to combos is to NOT button mash. that's whats cool about the game. you have to time the buttons correctly. if you button mash, it breaks the combo.

i just bought arkham city but havent played it and probably wont for a few days until i have time to crack out to it for a few hours, but i imagine they wouldn't overhaul the combat like that. that was one of its best aspects.

4. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I'm not sure what the complaint here is. If you're button mashing then you're not playing the game the way it's meant to be played. There are some extra moves you can pull off with your gadgets but the root principle behind combat is the coordination between striking and countering. It is simpler than a lot of games but there's a reason for that. You're meant to take on large groups of thugs and take them out swiftly because...

[​IMG]

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Thats the point. It's too simple, and there really is nothing to it.

not sure how much the gadgets come into play yet, I've only played about an hour. I'll give it another try later...

7. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

you should actually play the game and see what it's about before complaining about it

and don't play on easy

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Im already up to Joker. Im pretty sure I have a good grasp of what the game is about. I don't think it's my style. We'll find out.

Sorry, so far I just don't think it's nearly as good as it's hyped up to be.

9. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

You're playing on PS3, right? If you hold down the L1 bumper and press any of the action buttons you'll be able to use your gadgets during combat (i.e. by pressing L1 and the triangle buttons at the same time you can use your batclaw to pull an enemy towards you, then press square to knock him to the ground). In addition, you have special takedowns that are available to you after pulling off a x8 combo (x5 after upgrading) that are activated by pressing two of the action buttons at the same time (there are four fro batman and two for Catwoman).

I don't think that's fair. If you played and liked the first game, this should be what you hoped for. It's pretty much a bigger and better version of the original.

EDIT: The PS3 version also has a 96 rating (based on 23 reviews) on Metacritic.

#49 Vorrecht, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I started on hard difficulty. This game is fucking tough.

11. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

Finally got it...love the new use of weapons mid-fight...can't stop using the batclaw and just flooring people...the electric charge gun is also fun...yet to try out Robin.

12. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

the combat is like the old one, minor improvements that make it better imo. its one of the greatest things about the game honestly. as the poster above me said, love in flight gadget use. also love the fact that the batclaw can pick up riddler trophies.

catwoman is awesome. she's so freakin' fast that the combat challenges with her might just be better than with batman.

definitely a step up from the last one, which was a great game in it own right.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Loving it so far!

14. Drew

Drew Active Member

I'm having trouble beating Grundy. I don't really get what I'm supposed to do.

15. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

You need to use the explosive gel to blow up those furnaces (I think they're furnaces). Hold L1 and press square twice (if you're playing PS3) to quickly drop and detonate the gel. After that you just run up to him and button-mash square until he recharges.

16. Drew

Drew Active Member

Good looks. What a lame battle.

17. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

[YOUTUBE]lIJhlqXkGIk[/YOUTUBE]

18. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

That was fucking funny. Must buy this game soon!

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Is difficulty the same as the first game?

I beat the first one on Normal...I plan on playing with that mode in this game.

Need to get crackin with the game though, still sitting at home

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

You have got to be on the rarity, because everyone out there is praising this game as the best thing since Red Dead Redemption came out