Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good point, and I would also add it was nice to see the players executing their plays better.

2. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I agree.I saw Rex roll his eyes and shake his head after we punted and again when we ran the ball up the middle with 9 guys in the box. I hope you're right and he's taking a more active role. End of the day, the coordinator is only going to get but so much blame.

3. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

The real story on Tom Moore
    October, 24, 2011
    OCT 24
    2:26
    PM ET
    EmailPrintComments
    By Rich Cimini
    Offensive consultant Tom Moore attended Sunday's win over the Chargers and was spotted on the field during the pre-game warm ups, fueling wild speculation that he took an active role in the offensive operation. Some yahoos on radio call-in shows even suggested that Moore, the former longtime Colts coordinator, was calling plays.

Here's the deal: Moore's visit was scheduled prior to the season, long before the Jets' offensive struggles began. In fact, they're trying to schedule another visit for him later in the season. Moore wasn't on the field during the game and, no, he wasn't secretly calling plays from the press box. Enough of the grassy knoll theories.

Moore, whom the Jets hired as an offensive consultant during the offseason, spent training camp with the team. Since then, he has been working out of his home in Hilton Head, S.C., breaking down practice tape and tape of upcoming opponents.

So, no, the Jets didn't summon Moore to the game to watch over Brian Schottenheimer, and his presence wasn't the reason why the Jets, for a change, played consistently on offense -- although I'm sure he was willing to share some insight.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

oops...didn't see your post, UKK. I just created a thread with that Cimini article.

5. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

Wow, Cimini wrote that? What happened to him? Who kidnapped Cimini and replaced him with a... reporter?

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

But you must.

If you, as a head coach of your school team, derogatorily make a statement like "This is the dumbest team in America" about your own team, that speaks volumes about you, don't you think? (That's exactly what Callahan did. What a way to inspire confidence in the young group of talented players, coach.)

On top of that, he was forcing his playbook with the size of NYNEX phone book (Yellow pages and white pages combined, that is) down the throat of the college players - and that NYNEX phone book size was 'trimmed down' version of what he was trying to install. You have to ask yourself "Is this guy fucking nuts?" No fucking wonder his Nebraska tenure was a train wreck of a disaster that it was.

It is one thing to say it's hard to come by skill players in college teams - ramming that phone book sized playbook down the throat of the players for 4 fucking years is entirely different matter.

Last, but not the least, Callahan's style of offense takes a very heavy toll on the QB - the Raiders offense worked only because Gannon was a seasoned veteran with lots of experience, savvy and QB smarts. Once Gannon went down, the entire offense went down the drains for that reason. You think Sanchez can handle that much of mental overload? I seriously doubt that.

7. ukilledkenny

We did it at basically the same time.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Only one re watch, but marginally better calling particularly the plays to plax,

9. Big Blocker

One more thing. Gannon was not the best Qb ever, but he did step up his performance substantially when he went to Oakland. But here's the thing - ask him if he credits Gruden or Callahan more on that. Heh.

I also agree that's just a bs argument to say ignore what Callahan did in Nebraska.

Here's the thing - after Nebraska, only one team approached him, and that was for a position two whole levels lower than his last position in the NFL. And I don't believe anyone since he got to the Jets has approached him about a promotion. Tells you something.

10. Big Blocker

"And I owe everything to Rex and Schottie [offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer] for not giving up on me."

Quiz for the Schotty haters. Who said this and what was he talking about?

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

So is Charlie Weiss a bad NFL OC because he was a terrible coach at ND?

I would guess no one here would look at his failure at the college level as a reason to not hire him as an OC.

In regards to Callahan and his playbook, remember Nebraska was transitioning from the triple option to a west coast style, hence the need to minimize the playbook.

While I agree with you that some of his tactics were not appropriate, this train wreck of a college career had him appearing in 2 bowl games and winning one of them and he was there only 4 years and had an overall record of 27-22.

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
    Nebraska Cornhuskers (Big 12 Conference) (2004–2007)
    2004 Nebraska 5–6 3–5 3rd (North)
    2005 Nebraska 8–4 4–4 T–2nd (North) W Alamo
    2006 Nebraska 9–5 6–2 1st (North) L Cotton
    2007 Nebraska 5–7 2–6 T–5th (North)
    Nebraska: 27–22 15–17
    Total: 27–22

While Nebraska's defense struggled during Callahan's tenure, numerous offensive school records were set (some of which could be attributed to the dramatic change in offensive philosophy) and QB Zac Taylor was named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year for 2006

His college QB was no Gannon and he was still able to have success with Callahan's offensive style.

All teams will suffer if their starting QB go down, no matter what team you are the back up is never going to have the impact on a team the way the starter will(unless your Tebow?):wink:

I don't know if MS can handle it truthfully maybe at his point in his career he can't, but just as with BS he does not have to know all of it in one year.

I'm more than happy to sit back and watch BS as our OC but I don't get excited anymore about one game, I have seen the same thing for six years now 1 game called well, 3-4 games where the offense is going 3 and out in their first 3-4 possessions.

When the Jets offense is putting up 27 points a game and leaving no doubt that they are a force to be reckoned with then I will start believing.

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Umm.. Plaxico Burress. What is your point exactly?

I love how one good week by the offense and the Schitty supporters somehow act like they're right and have been all along..

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It was Burress, and for your information I don't hate BS, I just think he has received way too much credit for putting an average offense on the field.

The only thing that has changed with the Jets is the defense scheme that rex has brought to this team, if Sutton was still our DC, nothing would have changed with this team, above average defense, average offense and good special teams, leading us to have an above average team with average seasons.

14. ukilledkenny

If by right you mean still think he isn't the worst thing to ever happen to NYJ football I suppose you could be correct in this statement.

Being the OC means he will get shit on when the offense sucks. I think the new trend of assigning credit to anyone but him when things go well is a jets fan exclusive.

15. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

You think that Schotty has received too much credit?

On the rare occasions that the offense plays well, Jets fans scramble to find someone else to praise (be it Callahan, Moore, or Ryan.) If anything, he gets too little credit (and personally I don't believe that he deserves much to begin with.)

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Where did I say Callahan is a bad coordinator because he failed as a head coach at Nebraska? HELLO????????????????? JUST WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??????????????? Or are you having fun talking out of your own ass?

2. It is not 'what' he achieved that I have (and countless many Cornhusker fans for that matter) problems with. It's the manner with which he conducted his team that I have problem with. Even tough coaches like Parcells never talked down his team in public like "This is the dumbest team in the NFL" like Callahan has. Ever. Get the point?

3. Last, but not the least, DO NOT JUST LOOK AT THE STAT SHEETS. That makes you an ass. Look at how his QBs played under Callahan's guidance. They were hesitant, and never comfortable because they had too much stuff to consider and the schemes just didn't allow the players (not just QBs in fact) to be comfortable with what they were doing. Slauson even testified once: "We would practice a lot of plays - good plays - that we just never even called once during the weekend." Yet he was always demanding perfection from his team, regardless of the time (and practice) limit those kids had. Are you saying you want to see THAT from this Jets team? Are you fucking nuts?

17. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

The cycle continues.
    Schotty has done this ALL the time since his tenure.

everytime there's major heat on him or his job is in jeopardy, he puts calls a good to great game or two (sometimes more) to save his job. Last year he actually had a nice stretch in the middle of the season when we were 9-2.

that doesn't change the fact he's inconsistent and the biggest problem with him, but everytime it looks like he might be shitcanned he bounces back, at least temporarily.

18. SAR I

SAR I Member

[​IMG]

I read all the news articles and watched all the post-game shows and all the SNY shows today, just heaping praise on Brian.

Then I remembered AFC Championship Games and the 0-3 streak and the Baltimore humiliation and the regression of our quarterback and bit the inside of my cheek until it bled.

SAR I

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The offense has been sucking for the better part of 6 years now. Maybe when the offense start to not suck at the pace it has been, he might not get so much shit.

20. ukilledkenny

Lol, only address that point.

Genius!