Nice stat, what do you guys do with it?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexJetinBcn, Oct 20, 2011.

1. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

It has become commonplace by both fans and media to say that the Jets don't have a pass rush. It might be true but what is also true is that is not affecting our sack number, at least this season.

The Jets are third in the league in sacks with 17. I don't know how many of them are coverage sacks, I guess lots of them, but I also understand there are many different ways of getting to the qb. One of them is having a stud chasing him, a la Cameron Wake, and last Monday we saw how well that worked when he's having an off-day. Another is ours, to eliminate all the qb's options until someone finally reaches him.

From a financial point of view, you can't have both. With the money we have used to tie up Revis and Cromartie (plus Sanchez, Holmes, etcetera), there's no way we would have got a top pass rusher. Drafting one is a risky business as we sadly learned by the Gholston story (and many other busts, in fact, that's the most dangerous position to draft, is mostly hit and miss).

So, I think we don't actually need a pass rusher. Would it be great to have one, hell yeah! But I don't see it as an absolute must for this team to be great.

2. Jam.

Jam. Banned

There's a difference between sack numbers and actually getting a consistent rush on the QB. I wouldn't mind giving up a few sacks for a consistent rush that causes mistakes from the QB

3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I have to admit, Maybin is doing a fair job for someone that had the BUST label attached to him. I can't complain about his work thus far in 3 games considering he was tossed to the scrap heap. Goes to show you what Rex's system can do for people.

On the other hand, I think Westerman better get his ass in gear a bit more. I think Maybin is performing as well as Jamaal and JW's been here a couple years as opposed to a couple months.

Kyle Wilson is definitely helping out with the coverage sacks. Props to him for great improvement.

4. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Yes, consistent pressure would be nice but we need a new Jenkins for that to happen. I doubt the Jets will be blowing up a draft pick on the likes of a DWare, although that's a luxury to have. But we have probably the best 3 man corner group in the league with Revis, Cro, & Kyle.

As stated before, Rex's system is built in reverse of everyone else - back to front.

5. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

Well... in that sense, we are also 3rd in the stat the defines quarterback mistakes, INTs (9), so we have our fair share of that too. (And we are second in forced fumbles (9))

#5 MexJetinBcn, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  6. NYJet87

NYJet87 Member

Exactly. This seems to be the story of the last couple years. The sack totals are high, which is decieving to an outsider. I'd gladly drop the number of sacks for a more sustained pressure game in game out.

7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Haven't the Jets also been blitzing a bit less this year compared to past years?

8. NYJet87

NYJet87 Member

I was gonna say that too. I haven't noticed a lot of the jailbreak blitzes this year like the previous two. Could be I'm just not noticing.

9. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

I haven't noticed them either. It seems they are sending one or two linebackers when they blitz as opposed to one or two linebackers with a corner and a safety.

10. Jam.

Jam. Banned

4 from the great Luke McCown grossly exaggerates that stat. To me it's about the eye test...did Brady look consistently hurried during the Pats game?

11. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Obviously you're right, i'm not debating any of that. But when people say we don't have a pass rush it isn't wrong, even if we end up with the 3rd most sacks in the league.

12. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

To the Eye test they seem like it...

13. NYJet87

NYJet87 Member

I agree, the barometer can't be hurries and pressures of Matt Moore and Luke McCown. Brady has to be your benchmark of how well you can put pressure on the QB. You rarely see him get too beat up, but exhibit A is the playoff game. You make him uncomfortable, like any QB no matter how great, he becomes a lot more ordinary. It didn't seem like he was under much pressure two weeks ago though.

14. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

What seemed to be missing from the defence in that game compared to the play-offs was the mobility pre-snap. In the play-off win it was impossible to know what the defence were doing because half the time there were only two guys with their hand down as the other five or six in the box walked backwards, forwards, left and right. Brady had no idea what was coming next and couldn't read pressures; two weeks ago, the defensive fronts seemed far more fixed.