Should Jets trade for Brandon lloyd ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Randy Moss is a physical WR? In which universe?

2. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I don't see why everyone is so against this. He's worth a 5th or 6th rounded for 1 year too see what would happen with him. If he somehow does well on this team we keep him and Holmes focus on a pass rusher in the first and a young WR in the second and give Sanchez a plethora of options with Holmes, Lloyd, Burress, Kerley, and Keller. That's one hell of a receiving core. And if we are going to make the playoffs this year we may just need that.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Colston could be had at 7th round pick, and if Brady could be had at 6th round pick, do you really want to waste away your picks to get a one-year stop gap player?

It's time to be prudent and cautious with the picks. This team is seriously devoid of depth. That low round picks are specifically for that purpose.

4. Jim

Jim New Member

Not a fan of the trade for Lloyd. I am ok with Holmes and kerley next year at WR. I think Keller is ready to finally have a full season of success and that won't happen until Sanchez doesn't have a bunch of veterans with big egos who need to have the ball forced to them a certain amount of times per game

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Im not sure if you were trying to make a point, but im pretty sure every single person on here would say yes to both of those in a heartbeat.

6. JohnnyThaJet

He's talking about yhe rounds they were originally taken in.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If you hadn't noticed:

Colston was 7th round pick out of Hofstra, and Brady was 6th round pick out of U. of Michigan. Now we all know how good they are, but back when they were drafted? Not really. So that's the crux of the question: do you really want to waste your picks away for one-year stop gap players in favor of recruiting your own players?

8. JohnnyThaJet

I don't get that argument , I don't see how your logic is too keep your late round picks too hope for a Brady or Colston or whatever. I mean cmon. I agree completely that having as many picks in the draft as possible is the way too go but this team has proven with Holmes that trading a late round pick for a sure fire player is a good idea at times. I mean look at Holmes, he's a great WR and we got him for a 5th.

Sometimes these trades work out and make alot more sense then hoping for the next Brady or late round great.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Holmes wasn't 30 when he was traded.
    2. Lloyd IS 30. You are getting some worth out of him at 3 years MAX.
    3. If at all, this team is hurting at depth, especially along the OL.
    4. The reason I brought up Colston and Brady was to show you that late picks are not always wasted picks - and you should be cautious about how you use them.

10. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

They need to keep their draft picks plain and simple. I don't think Lloyd would all of a sudden turn this team into an unstoppable beast. Draft picks are important and the Jets would be wiser to keep them and not trade them away for 3/4 worth of a season I don't care what round it is.

11. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

sounds like Braylon Edwards...

12. Mason

Mason New Member

Sounds more like Terrell Owens.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

In his heyday? Absolutely. He indeed was a terror downfield.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

We have no depth. A 5th round pick can be used as a young, cost-controlled player who could possibly help for a few years and be a decent role player. And if you get lucky and draft the one Pro Bowler in that round, you have a great player and are paying him next to nothing. You need those players.

That's why the best teams are built through the draft. We've been getting away from that, and it's starting to show. We need a big draft this coming year.

Lloyd for a 5th would have been okay before the season, but at this point, it's too late to learn the system on the fly. Mason couldn't learn it apparently.

And we got Holmes FOR ONE SEASON for a 5th. Then we signed him to a $50 million contract. We would have to resign Lloyd. He's a talented receiver, but there's a reason he's bounced around so long.

Pass.

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

NO.

If he had 3 yrs left on his contract - fine.

As it is you are just faced with another Edwards/Cro/Holmes situation of either losing a player quickly or having to pay over the odds to keep him.

We are not one player away from a SB and if we were it isnt this player.

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

For a 4th rd pick hell yeah we should!!!

17. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Whenever I think of Brandon Lloyd and the Jets I think of.......

[​IMG]

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Our troubles on offense are more a result of our offensive line not protecting Sanchez long enough to give him time to put the ball in the hands of our play makers.
    We could have Jerry Rice in his prime on this team and it wouldn't matter if our O line keeps playing the way it's been.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

What's the lesson we've learned?

Draft picks: keep 'em

20. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

A team that doesn't throw downfield doesn't need to trade for any WR.

It needs a change in offensive philosophy and/or QB.