Derrick Mason traded to Texans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PatPatriot, Oct 11, 2011.

1. 624

624 Banned

Kerley's performance on Sunday, and reports that Mason didn't know the playbook.

2. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

One nice touchdown reception for a player who probably wasn't getting much quality attention from the opposition does not constitute a representative sampling in my book, particularly compared to a player who has been so consistently productive year in and year out for so long. As far as the reports of him not knowing the playbook, I suppose that could be considered sufficient grounds for the trade IF it were true which none of us knows for sure. And if not knowing the playbook well enough were sufficient grounds for dismissal, we'd have plenty of players on both sides of the ball who should have been concerned for their tenure here based on the countless mistakes and blown assignments.

3. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Well say that's all true, it still doesn't answer the question of why the Jets are down to one legitimate WR, an old slow guy with one foot out the door, a nice rookie prospect, and practice squad player. Why are the Jets just one OL injury away from disaster.

Tell me. What would have happened if the Jets had lost Mangold for the year. Didn't have Hunder for the nxt 3 games. Lost Keller for 2 games, and LT for 1. Well the Pats have had all that happen this year, and still maintained the best offense in the league.

That's because they have DEPTH that is developed with the help of good cap management. The Jets have no such depth, because their strategy was to go for top end talent. Now you have a roster that is as good as any for your top 25 players, but as we saw with the Mangold injury, you are one step away from playing an UDFA rookie

My guess is that next year you will have to completely retool your WRs, with only Kerley and Holmes back. You will have to replace at least 2 of your 4 starting LBs, plus resign Divito. And you will need to add at least 3 new quality NFL OLmen. It won't be easy.

And here's the point. While I'm sure that Tanny can rig the books and give the Jets "some" cap space to work with, but this is a competition. and most other teams are going to have more space to work with.

BTW- except for the WRs position, its not that the Jets are worse than last season, its that everyone else (except the Phins) got better.

4. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

All of which conveniently overlooks the fact that if it's Brady that goes down, you're fucked. Every team is dependent upon some key players.

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing against the lack of depth on the Jets roster but the Pats maintained because of Tom FUCKING Brady. Jesus. He's a top three all-time QB.

6. patfanken

patfanken Banned

I guess that could be said of any team that had a good QB. But that being said, if the Pats had to play the Jets with Brian Hoyer, while the Jets trotted out Marc Brunnell, which team would you bet on.

My point was that the Pats have overcome more injuries because they are built that way. I mean the Pats have had to play with 3 new starters on the OL the last 3 weeks. You might not have noticed because the replacements have filled in so seamlessly. The Jets lose one guy for 2 weeks and its a national story

I mean last season most people didn't realize how beat up we were on the DL. In that playoff game the Pats had a mid season UFL refugee (Eric Moore), another mid season UDFA pick up (Landon Cohen), a 7th round 2nd year player(,Kyle Love) and a 7th round rookie Brandon Deadrick) all playing in a 6 man DL rotation. Its amazing we got as far as we did. BTW- only one of those guys is playing now

Cmon Johnny don't get caught up in all the semantics. You know your team's weaknesses better than I. When I can here BEFORE the season, I pointed some out and was roundly ridiculed. Don't blame the messenger, even if he is deriving a bit of pleasure from delivering it :wink:

7. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

All money in 2011 (Cap $$) will be added onto the next year. So we have about 8.6 right now. Not sure how much below our cap will be in 2012, but add 8.6 to it as of now.

8. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Patrick turner and Scotty McKnight.

9. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

And all three of them are more talented than Scotty McKnight and Turner and yet they are gone and these two remain.

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Well Plax is saying he doesn't buy the lack of production thing as to why Mason was traded. It's quite clear all the WR's are disgruntled and you have to think that goes back to Schotty and Sanchez then again I'm sure the lack of separation by guys not named Kerley has something to do with it as well.

11. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Tanny knows what he is doing there are no players available right now worth the cap space so we're gonna ride it out with what we have we got 4 guys coming off the books I expect some restructures all in all I'm hoping we get a max of 20mil to work with wishful thinking at best but nonetheless if we can hit on draft day we can add small pieces during FA and start building some continuity and chemistry ala Pitt and B-More

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

You do realise that next year both your starting wide receivers are unrestricted free agents? You think you are going to get Welker back on the same sort of deal he has been playing on so far when he knows this is likely his last contract or that you won't have competition for his signature?

13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Guess I better get used to doing the Kerley Shuffle (for all the old Stooges fan's, and yes I know they're not spelled the same).

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think Mason's departure might mean something much bigger than it appears on the surface.

I understand the points about Kerley. About how Mason appears not to have learned the playbook. I even get that the team wants their #4 wideout to play special teams, and they did not see Mason doing that were Kerley to be the #3.

But here's the counter to all that - are the Jets a better team without Mason? Is the talent at wideout so good that they literally could not have used him?

I could be wrong, but I just can't see how this is even moving sideways, let alone an upgrade. Kerley goes in for three catches against the woeful Pats' pass D, and we suddenly know he's quality at the #3 spot? That doesn't make much sense to me.

What the Jets did is trade someone who concededly had not contributed much, but who imo they certainly could have given more of a chance to, for a seventh round draft pick. Wow.

It's not like it was such a great deal that they couldn't pass it up. Let's be honest about that. Add in the business speculating about the role his criticizing the CS had, and I doubt Tanny and Ryan are second guessing themselves for the move.

But we can, at least as far as wondering what it really means.

To me, it might be, just might be, evidence that the Jets organization recognizes that key players like Sanchez they hoped would step it up have not, and probably will not this year. As a result this does not look like a team ready to make a playoff run, so getting rid of a marginal contributor for a draft pick seemed like a smart move.

15. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Good post. Let me ask you this (I feel like I've been doing this a lot on this board and never get actual answers, but I trust you'll take this on). What did you see, either pre or regular season, that makes you believe (1) Mason wasn't given a chance and (2) if given a chance, he would have contributed more?

I ask this because I was pretty glad when we signed him, but I never saw him really do shit, get open, participate early on, etc. So I'm not sure what you saw that makes you think he could have or would have gotten better as the season moved on.

16. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

18. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

kinda little jabs, but thats if you look into it too much.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I dont think anyone looking at our schedule would realistically have expected us to have won more than 3 of those games by this stage, so I doubt the FO is in full panic mode as yet and with our OL woes we have no idea WTF we have in terms of Sanchez's development this year, if/when that settles down we can begin to get an idea.

Mason was traded for at best a 7th round pick and more likely nothing - so I dont think you can read anything into it other than they wanted to get rid of the guy, I presume due to perceived issues with his attitude.

20. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Pats got rid of Randy Moss last year around this time, and then went on an insane win streak. Hey, a guy can dream right?