ALDS - Yankees vs Tigers

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AMJets, Sep 29, 2011.

1. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

The Angel fans in my office still talk about them all winter, they're almost as obsessed with the yanks as the red sox fans are. it's always been in style to hate the Yanks, be it they win or not. I find it quite amusing.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Me too. I don't care. Troll all you like. I'll keep watching my team compete in October.

3. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

that game 5 disaster was like a butterknife going through my neck, but what can you do about it? nada.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

You can root for A-Rod another 6 years. :mad:

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm getting tired of ARod being the sole focus of everyone's ire. The only two guys that truly hit in the series were Posada and Gardner. And really, it could have been a completely different series if Girardi doesn't mismanage by putting in Ayala in a game they came back to lose by 1.

ARod all but begged Girardi for more at-bats in September once he came back from the thumb issue, knowing he'd missed so much time during the season between that and the hamstring. Girardi chose to rest him anyway.

Does ARod get a pass? No. Is it all his fault? Not even close.

6. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

with that bloated contract he'll always be the number 1 target

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

And don't get me wrong, he deserves to get shit thrown at him. He is overpaid.

All I'm saying is, by the same token, Teixeira, Swisher, and Martin are bloated contracts too. The difference is, ARod was the only one who knew and publicly stated that he needed more work before October, and was denied it.

8. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

girardi babied the hell out of him, another week of batting and he may have had a different series.

9. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Martin and Swisher have pretty nice contracts, actually.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I absolutely believe that to be the case. Obviously we'll never know, but I'm certain he'd have hit better if he had got the extra work he continually asked for.

Fair enough, but are they pretty nice when considered against their hitting performances in the playoffs? They both created quite a few outs with RISP.

My point wasn't the size of the contracts, simply that if we're going to judge ARod based on his last at-bats the last two years versus his contract, then the same has to be applied across the board.

If you ask me, you'd be hard-pressed to find me anyone on the Yankees that isn't overpaid beyond Mo, Cano, Granderson, and Robertson. (Not counting Montero and Nova). Maybe you could argue Garcia (I don't know how much he's making) who pitched better than expected, and I assume Gardner still isn't making anything so he'd likely deserve "not overpaid" status.

Beyond that? Even being the Jeter fan I am, I still would say he's overpaid. CC? Overpaid. AJ? I could defend him until I turn blue and I could never defend his salary.

The Yankees overpay everyone. By a lot. Why isn't CC ripped for his game 3 performance, strike zone or no strike zone? Why isn't he ripped for giving up the run that lost the series?

ARod is a punching bag. That's all. He deserves just as much criticism as everyone else, but not really any more, regardless of his paycheck. The series was lost long before he came to bat with two strikes in the ninth against the only perfect closer in baseball this year.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Think about that first line and I am sure you are correct....

I hear Cashman is all but signed with Boston....JWT

12. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

I agree with the overall sentiment, but I think you're overestimating how many Yankee players are truly "overpaid."

Jeter, CC, Burnett, Teixeira, and A-Rod? Overpaid. Marte and Soriano? Definitely overpaid. Everyone else is fairly accurately valued (for the most part). ETA: If not undervalued.

#572 Cappy, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

2007 called and said it wants its post back.

Seriously, sir, that crap was a long time ago and I've explained over and over again what it was about. The initial comment was made out of frustration over something that had nothing to do with baseball, the Yankees or moderators.

By all means, though, keep going that route if it makes you feel happy or something.

Do we really have to debate this?

I guess so.

The Yankees have way more resources and money than the other teams... ahh screw it. I won't waste my time.

Ahh, but actually you would know because you are a Jets fan. Don't make me find old posts from you where you expressed glee in watching the Patriots lose.

That is a clown comment right there, folks. Alio claims he is above making fun of other teams, but then writes that.